Forums
Posted By: ByrneJB Assistance required: 19th Century Grange Ward - 18th Jul 2021 7:53pm
Hi all,

I am looking for information on st johns place, as i cannot find any reference to it, other than on census'.

Comparing maps and records.. I believe that it may be two buildings that appear on the OS map published 1882 (between pym street and st johns street) but is replaced by one school building on later maps.

A point to the direction of any information regarding the grange ward from the mid 1800s to the late 1960s would be perfect, as i have 1000s of questions/queries regarding this area.

I would like to find a map that shows individual address numbers, however i cannot find any older maps that show this, would the townhall hold such records? Google has ran out of new things to tell me 😂

Thanks in Advance

James
1950s map of St John street and 1899? one
Hope these help

Attached picture st johns street.jpg
Attached picture st john st 1890s poss.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Assistance required: 19th Century Grange Ward - 18th Jul 2021 10:24pm
old maps
Couldn't magnify it

Attached picture st john.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Assistance required: 19th Century Grange Ward - 19th Jul 2021 4:20am
Any records held are at, Wirral Archives, Birkenhead Library and Cheshire Archives.

Map Derek posted.

Attached picture st j p.png
Thank you all for your responses. @bert1.. This is exactly what i have needed. Are you anle to point me to where i could get a copy of this map please? Or which map it is from?

Thanks

James
Originally Posted by ByrneJB
Thank you all for your responses. @bert1.. This is exactly what i have needed. Are you anle to point me to where i could get a copy of this map please? Or which map it is from?

Thanks

James

** i have just noticed the site is on the image 🙈 **

Thanks
Posted By: bert1 Re: Assistance required: 19th Century Grange Ward - 20th Jul 2021 3:44pm
Yes,
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/330500/388500/12/100093

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/330500/388500/13/100095
I can confirm St John's Place existed because it appears in "Report on the sanitary condition of the borough of Birkenhead, for the year 1881" on page 45.

Furthermore it indicates it is off St John Street so the two terraces sounds a likely prospect.
Thank you all for this information.

@diggingdeeper thank you, i will look into this, this will be interesting as my family were residents at this time.

Thanks

James
From 1950 ...

Attached picture stjohnsplace-c.png
© Wirral-Wikiwirral