Forums
Posted By: mikeeb Toll booths Birkenhead Tunnel - 4th Aug 2020 1:34pm
I found this picture of cars entering the tunnel but there is a queue of cars passing the booth on the left. The drivers must have had to lean over the passenger seat to pay the toll. Is this true? Or did they have a pre-paid pass similar to todays Fast Tag?
[Linked Image]
I got this picture off this website that contains many pictures I haven't seen before. They're mainly Rock Ferry but also has a few from Birkenhead and New Ferry Baths, which are hard to find.
Check them out here.
http://www.fredsalem.com/old-rock-ferry-photos/
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Toll booths Birkenhead Tunnel - 4th Aug 2020 4:01pm
Yes, there were tunnel contracts.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Toll booths Birkenhead Tunnel - 4th Aug 2020 4:49pm
How would they know if someone had a contract?
You would still have to lean over the passenger seat to show it and the guy in the booth will be taking money from one side whilst keeping an eye on the cars on the other side. It is very arse about face, haha!
Posted By: MisterSmiff Re: Toll booths Birkenhead Tunnel - 4th Aug 2020 5:56pm
Originally Posted by mikeeb
How would they know if someone had a contract?

I imagine the bloke two cars behind in the middle queue was tasked with checking; if they didn't meet the credentials then he'd blow his whistle at them very hard indeed.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Toll booths Birkenhead Tunnel - 5th Aug 2020 9:35am
I used the new Runcorn bridge at the weekend, a far more sophisticated way of toll management. High time the tunnels adopted this principle.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Toll booths Birkenhead Tunnel - 5th Aug 2020 3:41pm
You can pay for the tunnels by contactless now and of course the tag. Runcorn bridge assumes everybody has access to the internet which is simply not the case particularly the older generation. Even the new app for Mersey Gateway gets terrible feedback from users and people who try to use it.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Toll booths Birkenhead Tunnel - 6th Aug 2020 4:47pm
I wonder if this should be in the history section somewhere?

https://www.roads.org.uk/sites/default/files/articles/queensway-tunnel/birkenhead.pdf
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Toll booths Birkenhead Tunnel - 7th Aug 2020 9:48am
Nice find Moonstar, thanks happy
Posted By: dingle Re: Toll booths Birkenhead Tunnel - 12th Aug 2020 12:16am
Great pictures, Moonstar. I noticed of the pictures of the congestion showed the traffic outside of the Empire Theatre. That is the same one I saw the Rolling Stones in concert a couple of years before. Memories!!.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Toll booths Birkenhead Tunnel - 12th Aug 2020 4:31am
Originally Posted by dingle
Great pictures, Moonstar. I noticed of the pictures of the congestion showed the traffic outside of the Empire Theatre. That is the same one I saw the Rolling Stones in concert a couple of years before. Memories!!.

Dingle,
Not the Empire, the Stones played the Majestic Ballroom further along.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral