Forums
Posted By: moretonkiwi WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 27th Sep 2019 3:25am
Can anyone tell me where Toner Road was in Liscard in 1934. A descendant sailing to Canada gave 36 Toner Road, Liscard, Wirral as her last address in the UK.

I have checked an street atlas from 1997 for Merseyside but cannot see a Toner Road anywhere.

Hope someone out there may be able to help.
Posted By: bert1 Re: WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 27th Sep 2019 6:26am
It doesn't appear in any street directories, census forms or Newspapers in or around the Wallasey area.

If it is bad handwriting and difficult to decipher, there is/was,

Tower Rd, Birkenhead Rd, Birkenhead.
Tower Rd, Birkenhead Rd, Seacombe

Tower St, Liscard.
Posted By: Mike_White Re: WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 27th Sep 2019 9:43am
If it's any help, Tower Street in Liscard was one of the roads that were demolished in the 1960's to build the Cherry Tree shopping centre.
Posted By: moretonkiwi Re: WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 28th Sep 2019 2:15am
Thank you for looking this up for me. The manifest has the address quite clearly printed, so it's back to the drawing board. Enjoy the weekend.
Posted By: moretonkiwi Re: WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 28th Sep 2019 2:18am
Thank you for checking for me Bertieone - have rechecked the shipping manifest and the address is quite clearly printed as Toner Road. Have checked the Tower Road/Street suggestions in the 1939 census in case there is still a family member living there, but no luck so it is back to the drawing board again.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 28th Sep 2019 11:43am
What was the surname or preferably the full name(s)? It might be easier to do this backwards.
Posted By: moretonkiwi Re: WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 29th Sep 2019 2:11am
Hi, Her name was Ginette Margaret Mary Maria Topham, formerly Smith, nee Price. She originally sailed to Canada in April 1927 (after she was widowed) and appears to have returned to the Wirral in early 1934 and leaving again in August 1934 to return to her home in Winnipeg.

Prior to going to Canada originally she lived at 10 Rockville St in Rock Ferry and I have records of all of her children going to Canada except for her eldest child (a daughter named Ethel Smith) I haven't been able to trace a marriage or death for Ethel in the UK, nor find her on any shipping lists to Canada so I had been wondering if Ginette had returned to the UK in 1934 to visit her.

Not sure where to go from here - any ideas would be welcome.
Posted By: bert1 Re: WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 29th Sep 2019 5:29pm
You may wish to check the following and see where it takes you.

We know Genette MMM Price married William Smith, daughter Ethel was registered, Birkenhead, March Qtr, 1891, baptised March 4,1891, Birkenhead, above parents

It might just be a coincidence or another family connection to the Topham's, you will have to see if there's a link between the Topham, Genette married and the Ethel marriage.

Wallace Clare Topham married Ethel Smith, 1921, St Paul's Tranmere, Fathers, William Smith, Harry Topham.

Both 27 years of age, there might be an explanation for this, Ethel didn't want to appear older than her husband.

The 39 Register finds them in Norwich, both born 1894, Ethel, February 7, woman who tried to hide their birth year never changed their birth day/month. If you ever get her birth certificate, this date may tally.

There's a death in Norwich, Ethel Topham, aged 51, 1944, giving a birth date 1893, again different from the 39 register.

Wallace Clare Topham remarried later

Only sight of the 1921 marriage certificate will give you addresses and fathers occupation.

When Genette visited, they may have lived in Wallasey, the electoral rolls for Wallasey may help with that.
Posted By: bert1 Re: WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 29th Sep 2019 6:38pm
Wallace C Topham is on the Norwich Electoral Roll, 1931.
Posted By: bert1 Re: WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 30th Sep 2019 12:34pm
From the shipping manifest, Towers St

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bert1 Re: WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 30th Sep 2019 1:42pm
Burial, Bebington Cemetery. 1921.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: moretonkiwi Re: WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 30th Sep 2019 7:55pm
Great minds think alike!. I was just going to message you to say I had found Genette on the manifest for the 'Athenia' coming home to Wallasey and that the address was 38 Tower St. Had also found that her second husband Thomas was buried at Bebington Cemetery. Find a Grave has a photo of the gravestone and as well as Thomas it has their son John killed in 1st WW and it also has Genette's death details, although she is actually buried in Winnipgeg. Have looked at 38 Tower St in the 39 Register and it is a family called Upton.
Time for some cross checking now as there are Uptons in the family tree as well. Will also do some more digging on Ethel's possible marriage - thanks for that bertieone
Posted By: bert1 Re: WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 1st Oct 2019 5:12am
The Upton's were living at 38 Towers St in 1939, previously, entered in the 1938 directory which would have been printed in late 37 was Joseph Youds, 38 Towers St. At 32 Towers St, 1938 directory was Albert Price, perhaps related?

The link between the marriages,

Wallace Clare Topham's father was Harry Topham, he was registered John Henry Topham, 1871.

Thomas Topham, registered, 1867. Genette's husband.

John Henry and Thomas were brothers, parents, John Topham, Annie Topham, nee Adamson.
Posted By: bert1 Re: WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 1st Oct 2019 5:28am
The name given in the 1938 Directory, though abbreviated is, Albert Alfred Price, 32 Towers St.

I believe Genette's brother, Albert probably had a full house and she stayed with a neighbour.
Posted By: moretonkiwi Re: WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 2nd Oct 2019 7:47pm
Many thanks for all your help Bertieone. School holidays are happening at the moment (here in New Zealand) and have grandchildren staying for a few days, so will get back to the family history when they have returned to their homes.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 3rd Oct 2019 9:59am
Excellent work Bert as always, well done.
Posted By: bert1 Re: WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 3rd Oct 2019 5:00pm
Thanks DD,

Family history enquires always welcome.
Posted By: moretonkiwi Re: WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 6th Oct 2019 11:56pm
Bertieone you are a star! Spent some time checking alternative shipping lists for Genette's children going to Canada and BINGO hit the jackpot. Her daughter Amy sailing to Canada in April 1928 gives her nearest relative in the United Kingdom as Mrs Ethel Topham, Glent Quarry, Stalybridge, Cheshire, relationship: SISTER

Thank you so much for the work you did for me - it is all dropping into place now. I think you have earned an extra tipple of whatever takes your fancy.

Kind regards
Posted By: bert1 Re: WHERE IS/WAS TONER ROAD, LISCARD - 7th Oct 2019 6:11am
You're very welcome.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral