Forums
Posted By: yoller Arthur Christiansen, Daily Express editor - 15th Aug 2019 6:37pm
I’ve been reading the autobiography of Arthur Christiansen, who was editor of the Daily Express from 1933 to 1957. He was born in 1904 and as a boy he lived in Evelyn Road, Seacombe and went to Wallasey Grammar School. He worked on the Wallasey and Wirral Chronicle newspaper in Borough Road, Seacombe, before moving to London in 1924.

I was wondering does anyone know if Christiansen was born in Evelyn Road or elsewhere in Wallasey? If so, is his house still there and does it have any sort of plaque? He describes Evelyn Road as consisting of ‘six-roomed terrace houses’.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Arthur Christiansen, Daily Express editor - 15th Aug 2019 8:05pm
The 1911 census has Arthur, Father, Louis, Mother, Nellie and sister Dorothy living at 17 Evelyn Rd occupying 3 rooms.

Louis's mother, Jane Christiansen, a brother and sister also occupying 3 rooms.

The 1911 Directory which would have been compiled late 1910 has Henry Lomas, Mechanic, living at 17 Evelyn Rd.

Only Arthur's birth certificate will give his parents address at his time of birth.
Posted By: yoller Re: Arthur Christiansen, Daily Express editor - 16th Aug 2019 5:14am
Thanks for that, Bert. Do you know if the houses in Evelyn Road now were the same ones that were there in 1911, or have the originals been demolished?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Arthur Christiansen, Daily Express editor - 16th Aug 2019 6:31am
I'd say the same, 17 has no plaque, view, 2014.

Attached picture ev.JPG
I can't see why being a newspaper editor would warrant a blue plaque. There are numerous groups that put up blue plaques and its been criticised in recent times that they have been over used.

In the case of Arthur Christiansen wouldn't his plaque be better off on the Express building along with the others. His birth place has little significance in comparison.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Arthur Christiansen, Daily Express editor - 19th Aug 2019 4:25pm
"I can't see why being a newspaper editor would warrant a blue plaque..."

Indeed! Especially that idiotic one with it's "Carrots cure cancer!" headlines one week followed the week after by "Carrots cause cancer!"

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/2013-according-to-the-daily-express-front-page

- is worth a look too!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral