Forums
Posted By: BultacoAstro WW2 USNavy large sheepskin trousers - 15th Mar 2019 8:48am
Purchased a pair of the above pants they are soft but cracking need to purchase cream or whatever to halt cracking and dryness.They have Zips by ankle NOT down leg and zip in front to open like normal pants.Have been on youtube for answers have one reply patch as my intention is to wear in winter as getting colder every year as got Reynolds.Any ideas welcome had one idea put E 45 on then as skin cream but thats me trying to save a quid as got lots of bottles of it.So help please to save ww2 pants thanks
Posted By: lincle Re: WW2 USNavy large sheepskin trousers - 15th Mar 2019 12:59pm
Hi Bultaco,Have you tried a product called Dubbin think it may solve the problem.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: WW2 USNavy large sheepskin trousers - 15th Mar 2019 1:07pm
While E45 is a good moisturiser its not designed to long lasting, its for live skin, you need a leather restoration cream/liquid or similar.

As with leather its important to clean it first, dried up oils and dust create a very effective abrasive and also lever open cracks. If its a buffed finish isopropyl alcohol or similar is good for cleaning old oils/waxes that have accumulated but would probably prove difficult for a suede finish. You might have to be careful if its is dyed.

Syntec produce (relatively) cheap easy to use products, a liquid rather than a cream will be far easier to use on a suede finish.

If you want the to be waterproofed then you may need to use a final waterproofing as well.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: WW2 USNavy large sheepskin trousers - 15th Mar 2019 7:34pm
Saddle soap.
Posted By: BultacoAstro Re: WW2 USNavy large sheepskin trousers - 16th Mar 2019 11:14am
Hi thanks for replys.Looked into dubbin a week ago.The soldiers used it for boots but wasnt sure it would work on pants.So bidding for ww2 dubbin on ebay.Saddle soap yes been looking for vintage in metal tin as want some for my Avirex leather jackets and vintage Bultaco jacket and might work on pants as well.Thanks
Posted By: locomotive Re: WW2 USNavy large sheepskin trousers - 29th Mar 2019 7:26pm
Only just noticed your post, I used to use "Neatsfoot Oil" on my motorcycle leathers , boots and gloves, works fine and keeps the leather soft and supple.
Posted By: BultacoAstro Re: WW2 USNavy large sheepskin trousers - 29th Mar 2019 8:02pm
Hi update on WW2 Navy pants.A very kind lady exteacher gave me a big tin of dubbin. Also have purchased a second pair as was going cheap in the US Before the lady gave me dubbin I had bid on a tin of vintage dubbin with mink milk in it and have won it Anyway when asking people on YouTube they wear asking me not to wear pants and buy copy's for 500 euros. I actually laughed as original pants only cost 50 quid for one pair and the other 58 with shipping and duty. But what if am ruining a bit of history that's what is bothering me having doubts what to do. As they are original Do I wear and wreck them or just hang up with a suit cover over them and keep up the moisturizer
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: WW2 USNavy large sheepskin trousers - 29th Mar 2019 9:33pm
If copies are €500 then surely originals must be worth more especially if people are asking you to preserve them?
Posted By: BultacoAstro Re: WW2 USNavy large sheepskin trousers - 31st Mar 2019 8:41pm
Hi unfortunately no not in this case.The copys are made so good and price to manufacturer them is expensive.So originals are cheap as most falling to bits or leather gone hard or both.I was lucky to find large as yanks wear kids and thin during the war.I go on the American ebay com and knock them down in price if good.I have decided to keep a good pair and wear the not so good pair and also will see if can buy some more if price and condition of trousers is right for me.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral