Forums
Posted By: Tom_Chisholm Info on Pilgrim Street, Birkenhead - 21st Jul 2018 3:02pm
Hi I am doing a little investigation into the property at 12 Pilgrim Street, Birkenhead; specifically previous businesses that were located their, as well any pictures of the site. As the building was opposite the Pilgrim Street County Primary School i thought it was likely their would be some images of the area, or people would have recollections of the site as it was. So far the only pictures i have been able to find of that part of Birkenhead are on britainfromabove, for example
https://britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw029288
https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW001721
where the street can be seen on the right of the images. Any help would be most welcome.
Posted By: locomotive Re: Info on Pilgrim Street, Birkenhead - 21st Jul 2018 7:27pm
Hubbard and Martin's Bakery was facing the school, the building later became Oxton Engineering, further down on the same side was Peco Silencers, that's all I can tell you from 1991, probably a bit late for what you're looking for.
Posted By: locomotive Re: Info on Pilgrim Street, Birkenhead - 21st Jul 2018 7:52pm
Out of curiosity I had a look at the Bing maps site, the Hubbard and Martins bakery/ Oxton engineering building is number 12, I was the manager for a couple of years but I don't have any other information, except Hubbard and Martin's also had a shop with a bakery behind it, on the corner of Balls Rd. and Woodchurch Rd, (other info which is totally irelevant, but I went to school with the son Ted Hubbard in the 50s)
Posted By: Tom_Chisholm Re: Info on Pilgrim Street, Birkenhead - 22nd Jul 2018 2:40pm
Thats really useful thanks, it confirms what ive found in a Cheshire Professional and Trades Directory from 1910 which listed a site on Pilgrim street for Hubbard and Martins. From what i can gather from ordinance survey maps the site was built sometime in the 1900s or 1910's, so i think it is likely the bakery was the first business at the address. I have been told that between the bakery and Oxton Engineering their was another company based on the site called Rigby Engineering. However, i cannot find any information on this business and the only clue for dates i have is that the property stops being marked as 'Bakery' on maps in the 70s. Beyond that i have no idea when they operated out of pilgrim street.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Info on Pilgrim Street, Birkenhead - 22nd Jul 2018 6:03pm
Rigby Tool and Die Co. (Birkenhead) Ltd, 12 Pilgrim Street
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Info on Pilgrim Street, Birkenhead - 23rd Jul 2018 11:45am
1950s map and Wilmers 1916 Street Directory

builder
Marr, Lawrence & Son, Pilgrim street

greengrocer
Hessler,A. & Sons, 2 Pilgrim street

GENERAL SMITHS.
wheelwrights and blacksmiths
melia Bros., .40a Pilgrim .street

POTATO FACTORS (WHOLESALE)
Hessler, A. & Sons, 2 Pilgrim street

SOllcltors,-continued
Cave, William Edward, Registrar and
High Bailiff of County Court and
District Registrar of the High Court,
Pilgrim street

Attached picture 1918 wilmers.jpg
Attached picture 1950s map.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Info on Pilgrim Street, Birkenhead - 23rd Jul 2018 12:10pm
Hubbard & Martin in Pilgrim Street appear in the 1902 Kelly's directory. Directories like maps take a while to compile.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Info on Pilgrim Street, Birkenhead - 23rd Jul 2018 6:24pm
photo index at B'head main library
those with pilgrim st in name

BPL 3412 Chester Street - Easterly side, Water Street to Pilgrim Street
BPL 3413 Chester Street - Easterly side, at Pilgrim Street
C845 Friars gate/Pilgrim street. (Former county court building).
C15l3 Rear door- old county court buildings- Pilgrim street. Showing coat of arms of the chapelry of Birkenhead. 1983.
C2640 Rear of new land registry building from Pilgrim street, 1987.
F321 Pilgrim Street Primary School
BWD 426 Pilgrim Street
BWD 427 Pilgrim Street
© Wirral-Wikiwirral