Forums
Where was St Catherine/Catharine Street Higher Tranmere?
(I know there was a Catherine st running from Claughton Rd to Grange Road where the main entrance to Asda is now).
Trying to place where a Hare Inn may have been .
Thought the directory may have meant Harp Inn but found Hare in 2 street directories

Attached picture Hare off Mawdsley.jpg
Directly opposite St Cath's church between Allerton Road and Elm Road there was an unnamed terraced road. This would be my first guess?

Attached picture 2017-07-11_223956.jpg
And to totally contradict myself, I previously stated that the Hare Inn was on Church Road opposite Dial Road HERE
This suggests the terraced road opposite St Catherines church was called Church Terrace

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Birkenhead/

There is or was a St Catherines Gardens off Derby road opposite the hospital
According to various sources, the Black Horse Inn/Hotel has stood on the same site or near enough since 1757.

The 1861 Mawdsley Directory has, Ellen Garner, Black Horse Inn, St Catherine Street. The 1861 census also has the Garner family recorded in St Catherine St, also John Lewis, St Catherine Street.

The enumerator also recorded, Church Terrace, Langley Buildings? Some I can't decipher, Terraces, Farms and St Catherine Street followed by Prenton Lane.

Suggestion is, Church Road existed and St Catherine Street was a continuation of it, at a later date it all became Church Road.
1871 Newspaper image, Hare Inn for let, 2 acres of land.

In 1865 the license was transferred from John Molyneux Cawson to Charles Inglefield, Charles Inglefield went bankrupt in 1872.

Attached picture 1871 hare inn.JPG
1861 directory and area map, 1874.

Attached picture scs1.JPG
Attached picture scs2.JPG
Attached picture scs3.JPG
That Terrace was called Church Terrace. I went to school with a mate who lived there during the early 50s
© Wirral-Wikiwirral