Forums
Posted By: Mike_White Mortimer's Toy Shop Moreton - 2nd Mar 2017 12:40pm
Does anyone have any pictures or stories/memories of Mortimer's toy shop in Moreton? I used to go there as a kid and I am struggling to find anything at all online apart from one photograph of Danny's next door with a little of Mortimer's front window showing in it.
Anything at all would be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: Dilly Re: Mortimer's Toy Shop Moreton - 2nd Mar 2017 1:21pm
Just the name brings back memories, I loved that shop as a kid. I remember though always being scared incase I encountered Mad Mary on the way.she could always be seen around Moreton cross waving a stick or umbrella and stopping the traffic. Oh happy day's smile
Posted By: Salmon Re: Mortimer's Toy Shop Moreton - 2nd Mar 2017 1:35pm
If you are on Facebook there are a couple of groups, Moreton Memeories and Moreton oldies which both have lots of pictures of Moreton including Mortimers and many others.
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Mortimer's Toy Shop Moreton - 2nd Mar 2017 1:39pm
I used to work there....my first job after leaving school .Did both the toy side and the Model Making/ dinky cars side ,I got the job to 'pull' the horse in every dinner time and evening ....Also worked in there Pram/ baby shop. There is a thread on FB called Moreton Memories and Mortimers is well discussed .You may find interesting .
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Mortimer's Toy Shop Moreton - 2nd Mar 2017 1:40pm
SNAP ...SALMON
Posted By: Salmon Re: Mortimer's Toy Shop Moreton - 2nd Mar 2017 3:04pm
Great minds Missie!
Posted By: Wally1 Re: Mortimer's Toy Shop Moreton - 2nd Mar 2017 6:17pm
They sold diving gear at one time!
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Mortimer's Toy Shop Moreton - 2nd Mar 2017 8:33pm
Yes ,your right , not for long thou .
Posted By: Mike_White Re: Mortimer's Toy Shop Moreton - 4th Mar 2017 3:46pm
Thanks very much all - I don't have facebook myself but I can use a friends to have a look - thanks again!
Posted By: MoretonExpat Re: Mortimer's Toy Shop Moreton - 5th Mar 2017 8:35am
I remember a toy shop on the corner of Rosslyn Drive, I think it was called something like Keyleighs or something similar in the 80s. I remember a Mad Mary also but I think she was later on, in the mid 90s, she was an alcoholic and always wore either a black mac or a fair coat, she had long straight black hair and rosey red cheeks. She was harmless and a bit of a lost soul really.

Posted By: Dilly Re: Mortimer's Toy Shop Moreton - 5th Mar 2017 8:53am
Originally Posted by MoretonExpat
I remember a toy shop on the corner of Rosslyn Drive, I think it was called something like Keyleighs or something similar in the 80s. I remember a Mad Mary also but I think she was later on, in the mid 90s, she was an alcoholic and always wore either a black mac or a fair coat, she had long straight black hair and rosey red cheeks. She was harmless and a bit of a lost soul really.

The Mad Mary I referred to was definitely in the 60s, she also would usually be dressed all in black, maybe that was what scared me about her smile
Posted By: MoretonExpat Re: Mortimer's Toy Shop Moreton - 5th Mar 2017 8:54am
She used to go into either the old co-op which was called stop and shop or she would go in Solo further down and buy sherry. I think she carried a bible and or a little bundle of flowers. I often wonder what become of her. God love her.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Mortimer's Toy Shop Moreton - 5th Mar 2017 7:04pm
As I recall, Mortimers sold out to Keighleys and they moved over to the corner of Rosslyn Drive. There was a lady called Mary who lived down near the shore, she died about 5 years ago.I am not sure if this is the lady you are thinking of but the the one I am referring to was odd rather than mad, always wore black right down to her worn out shoes, God Love Her.
Posted By: MoretonExpat Re: Mortimer's Toy Shop Moreton - 7th Mar 2017 2:24am
Hi Salmon

I used to love keighleys, I don't think a single inch of any of the glass in any of its Windows escaped my nose from being pressed up against the glass! I still have the Rubik's cube that was bought in that shop.

Mary was such a gentle soul. She would come and go, at one point you would see her around the cross most days and then she would disappear for weeks. I remember seeing her a couple of times when she was sober and she was really quiet and shy and had an almost child like innocence about her, then the next time you saw her, she would be drunk but again harmless. She just come across as a lost soul to her demons.

She would come in and buy sherry and I would often talk to her, she had a daughter but from what I could make out, her daughter was either taken away from her or her mum had her daughter, I guess on account to the way she was. I always got the impression it was her not having her daughter that made her how she was. Until the moment when I draw my last breath I will never forget the time when I saw her in the shop, clearly sad / desperate about something only she knew and she smiled as she cried and left the shop.

I never knew were she lived sadly. She may well have lived down near the shore. I just hope wherever she is today, she was able to make peace with her demons. Life's too short and precious to spend it fighting demons.

Posted By: Mike_White Re: Mortimer's Toy Shop Moreton - 13th Mar 2017 5:39pm
I found a picture on fb but I can't figure out how to link to it here so if anyone wants a copy pm me your email and I will pass it on. It's black and white and not a brilliant picture but it brought back a few memories!
Posted By: Mortimers Re: Mortimer's Toy Shop Moreton - 15th Nov 2019 10:45am
Hi Everyone, Not sure if anyone will still be checking this feed as it' 2 years old, but I'm one of the Grandsons of the Owners of Mortimers, My Nanna passed away in 2015 and My Granddad has just passed away at the beginning of November this year, He was 95 years old and still had fond memories of the shop and his days racing boats, not sure if the customers knew he had won awards for speed boat racing.
They had been married for 68 years when my Nanna passed away.
We are having the Funeral for My granddad on Monday 18th November 2019 if anyone has any memories or comments the want me to pass on to my mum and family please feel free to comment. Unfortunately I'm only in my 30's so I don't remember the shop just seen photos and heard stories.
Posted By: moretonkiwi Re: Mortimer's Toy Shop Moreton - 18th Nov 2019 12:28am
Thanks for posting this information. There will be many folk who have now moved away from Moreton who have fond and happy memories of your grandparents and the shop. I grew up in Moreton and used to drool over a silver cross doll pram that was in the window, whilst my younger brother was always interested in the dinkie cars. Hope all goes well for the funeral.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral