Forums
Posted By: yoller Buy a house in Greasby for 12s a week - in 1935 - 6th Oct 2016 5:56pm
I found this advert for new homes on the Greasby Hall Estate in a 1935 pamphlet. Does anyone know if these houses are still standing? Their prices ranged from £490 to £600 – I wonder how much they’re worth now? And was 12 shillings a week to buy a house really cheaper than renting way back then?

Attached picture houses.jpg
Can't see attachment, but the first phase of a big estate based on Lloyd Drive (also Rigby, Howell, Dodd etc) was probably built about then - half the estate has solid walls and the other half built later has cavity walls. Maybe it refers to that area?
A slight aside, but a large number of farms and other buildings in the area were collectively referred to as the "Greasby Hall Estate" at least prior to 1913. Presumably they belonged to Greasby Hall and were rented out.

Both Greasby Hall (which is Greasby Hall Farm I think) and Greasby Old Hall still exist.

Greasby Hall Farm, Greasby, Hoylake, Merseyside
Irby Mill Hill Farm, Greasby, Hoylake, Merseyside
Irby Mill House, Greasby, Hoylake, Merseyside
Irbyside Cottage, Greasby, Hoylake, Merseyside
School Farm, Greasby, Hoylake, Merseyside
Thorns Farm, Greasby, Hoylake, Merseyside
Yew Tree Farm, Frankly, Hoylake, Merseyside
Greasby Hall Farm, Greasby, Hoylake, Merseyside
Irby Mill Hill Farm, Greasby, Hoylake, Merseyside
Irby Mill House, Greasby, Hoylake, Merseyside
Irbyside Cottage, Greasby, Hoylake, Merseyside
Manor Farm, Greasby, Hoylake, Merseyside
School Farm, Greasby, Hoylake, Merseyside
Thorns Farm, Greasby, Hoylake, Merseyside
Yew Tree Farm, Frankly, Hoylake, Merseyside
They could be around the junction of Arrowe Park Road, and Rigby Drive. No 3 Rigby Drive.

Originally Posted by yoller
I found this advert for new homes on the Greasby Hall Estate in a 1935 pamphlet. Does anyone know if these houses are still standing? Their prices ranged from £490 to £600 – I wonder how much they’re worth now? And was 12 shillings a week to buy a house really cheaper than renting way back then?

In 1935 12 shillings was equivalent to about £40
The advert struck me because the houses were very cheap and didn't look to be jerry-built. In 1935, according to various websites I’ve Googled, average UK wages were around £3 per week. So 12 shillings a week out of that doesn’t seem a big sum to enable you to buy your own home. You’d have a £490 house paid off in about 15 years. But, of course, it all depended if you had a job and a regular income – and in 1935, lots of people in our part of the world didn’t.
Virtually all of the houses described in the pamphlet are still standing today. The estate was planned at the end of 1933 and was originally referred to as the Arrowe Road Estate. The first phase, which would have been the houses in this advert, comprised the properties on the south side of Arrowe Road, most of Rigby Drive, Lloyd Drive, Ferguson Avenue and Dodd Avenue, together with part of Hall Drive and Barker Lane. Further houses in Howell Drive, Harvey Avenue, Leslie Avenue and Carmichael Avenue were added later.
Can you repost the image please?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral