Forums
Posted By: moretonkiwi Accident at Cammel Lairds - 6th Sep 2016 4:19am
Does anyone have any info on a Boiler exploding on a ship under construction/refit at Lairds. Would have been sometime in the mid 1950's (my husband thinks) and his late father John Price was one of those seriously hurt and spent some months at the Arrow Park Convalescent home?
Posted By: Habdab Re: Accident at Cammel Lairds - 6th Sep 2016 7:23am
I couldn't find much for the 1950's but this might be of interest.
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ENG-MERSEYSIDE/2005-03/1112207425
Also there a medium's report here if you believe that sort of thing.
http://www.parascience.org.uk/investigations/laird/laird.htm
Posted By: moretonkiwi Re: Accident at Cammel Lairds - 6th Sep 2016 9:12pm
Thanks Habdab. Both very interesting reads. I sit on the fence with the paranormal thing. Will have to do a bit more digging about the 1950's accident. My husband was only a young child at the time and doesn't know anything else about it.
Posted By: moretonkiwi Re: Accident at Cammel Lairds - 10th Sep 2016 9:12pm
Mystery seems to have been solved. Elderly relative has written to me and thinks two events have been merged in my husband's memory. Appears his father was injured during the war (when my husband was a toddler)by a boiler explosion, and an incident at Cammel Lairds some years later when there was a minor gas explosion in which he was hurt.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Accident at Cammel Lairds - 11th Sep 2016 5:57pm
Originally Posted by moretonkiwi
Mystery seems to have been solved. Elderly relative has written to me and thinks two events have been merged in my husband's memory. Appears his father was injured during the war (when my husband was a toddler)by a boiler explosion, and an incident at Cammel Lairds some years later when there was a minor gas explosion in which he was hurt.

It is funny how our memory can merge 2 separate incidents into one when trying to recall something so far back
The joys of getting older eh wink
Did find any info on your Grandads and Dads incidents MK?
Posted By: moretonkiwi Re: Accident at Cammel Lairds - 11th Sep 2016 9:11pm
Still digging for more info. Have turned up some interesting stuff but on a completely different member of the family - you win some, you loose some, as they say.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Accident at Cammel Lairds - 11th Sep 2016 9:32pm
Keep us posted on your findings MK wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral