Forums
Does anyone know the name of the tobacconists shop in Brighton Street, Seacombe in the late 1950's. It was right at the bus stop for buses going from Guinea Gap baths to Leasowe/Moreton?
Hi MK
I hope someone can answer your questions because most members on here are pre 50's era
Welcome to wiki
Thanks for the welcome. This is my first foray into Forums - my grandchildren are slowly dragging me into the 21st century. Am loving the site.
Posted By: cools Re: Tobacconists shop Brighton Street - late 1950's - 27th Aug 2016 10:08pm
Hi MK , welcome to Wiki you will find yourself getting addicted to this site. How long have you been in New Zealand? It looks a lovely place.
Hi Cools, thanks for that. Came to NZ in 1965, stayed a couple of years, returned to Moreton then back here again in 1969. Been living here in various places in the North Island since then except for 2 years living in Baltimore USA. Lucky enough to have made sev eral trips back to the Wirral. NZ lovely country, lovely people but I'm still a Moreton 'girl' at heart.
Are referring to the shop opposite the old Cinema? It was next to the bank on the corner of Brougham Road and was run by a woman called Clair. She had an old cat who's tongue always poked out. My mum owned the wool shop a few doors up.
It was opposite the Marina Cinema, I've forgotten the name but remember the shop well,as you say bus stops outside - don't remember the cat Habdab.
Thanks Habdab - this sounds like the shop I remember. Hopefully someone reading this will know the surname of the owners at that time.
Thanks for that Buddy - now just need the surname of the owners, so hopefully someone reading this will be able to help.
Posted By: Habdab Re: Tobacconists shop Brighton Street - late 1950's - 28th Aug 2016 10:20pm
All I knew the woman as, was Claire. That was back in the late 50's early 60's. Try the Library, they used to keep records of local businesses. Oh, and the bus stop was outside my mum's wool shop. Close though smile
Posted By: Habdab Re: Tobacconists shop Brighton Street - late 1950's - 28th Aug 2016 10:50pm
I think the directory of local businesses was called Kelly's Directory. You might get a copy of it from the Library.
Don't tell me you need the name so you can complain about something you bought in the 50's?
Will email the library and see if they can help. Wish I had paid more attention as a child - can just remember my grandma saying it belonged to her brother (or sister) but the family had 'fallen out' some years before. I was allowed to buy liquorice root from there on my way home from swimming lessons at the baths.
The shop was 91 Brighton St,

1956 Telephone Directory
W Sharp, Sweets & Tobacconist

1938, Leonard J Thompson
1964, E Wright
1969, J Connor

Image, 1956 phone book

Attached picture tab.PNG
Many, many thanks for that Bertieone. Will now have to do bit of research as none of the names are my grandmother's maiden name so must have been one of her married sisters. Everyone's help much appreciated.
Found a couple more,

91 Brighton St,

L Bascombe, 1953
A Cheetham, 1959
I went to school with a girl in the mid sixties and her mum owned a shop there. I think the shop was called Sadie's and the girls surname was Power. I can't remember whether it was a tobacconists though but it did sell sweets .
Thanks again. Still searching BMD's to see if I can find a marriage that links my grandmother's maiden name to one of the shopowners. The lady called Claire that habdab remembers could be the link as my grandmother had a niece called Claire living somewhere in Wallasey.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral