Forums
Posted By: Snodvan Milk Bottle tops - 19th Aug 2016 9:31am
Just for amusement really
- does anyone remember when milk bottles were sealed with a waxed cardboard disk?
- And when did (locally) they start using foil tops?

I ask because in these days of "recycle" I wonder does anyone still collect foil milk bottle tops (or other foil)? It was the "in" thing to do in the 1950s - although what we did with the collected material I have no idea. Vague memories of it being used for Guide Dogs for the Blind.

Snod
Posted By: Wally1 Re: Milk Bottle tops - 19th Aug 2016 9:51am
I remember the cardboard tops. They were wide tops
and had a finger hole perforated in the centre to
help remove the top from the bottle.

My guess is that they changed to foil around
the end of the forties but it would depend on
the dairy. See...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_bottle

The collection of foil tops
was for Guide Dogs and naturally involved Blue Peter
see....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guide_Dogs_for_the_Blind_Association
Posted By: bert1 Re: Milk Bottle tops - 19th Aug 2016 10:30am
As Wally suggests, it probably did depend on the dairy,

However, snippets from various newspapers from many areas, 1938/39 report on Aluminium and foil milk bottle tops being collected for charitable causes.

A report from 1942, Daily Post, suggests the milkman would collect Aluminium tops but not the cardboard tops.

Attached picture 1942.PNG
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Milk Bottle tops - 19th Aug 2016 11:39am
Interesting
However, we all recognise that milk deliveries in bottles is a "sunset" business. The web tells me that in 1970 some 94% of milk was delivered in bottles to the doorstep - but that has now fallen to 4%. Deliveries may continue for a bit but I presume plastics will take over. That will be "the end" and the supermarkets will always sell cheaper.

I still have my milk delivered in-glass by a milkman!!

I must say I do not remember waxed disk closured with a central perforation - I seem to recall there was a tab on one side of the disk

Memories can be fun

Snod
Posted By: chriskay Re: Milk Bottle tops - 19th Aug 2016 12:40pm
Originally Posted by Snodvan

I must say I do not remember waxed disk closured with a central perforation - I seem to recall there was a tab on one side of the disk
Snod

I certainly remember the small central hole in the disk, and certainly not a tab at the edge, which would have ruined the aerodynamics when we played "nearest to the wall".
Posted By: jimbob Re: Milk Bottle tops - 19th Aug 2016 1:37pm
that game of nearest the wall with the cardboard milk bottle tops, gave lots of us lads hours of fun on dry days. Kneeling on the edge of the kerbstone with toes in the gutter flicking the tops across the pavement. Happy days.
Snod may be getting mixed up regarding the tab, think it was on the early silver foil top bottle of milk. {gold top if full cream}
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Milk Bottle tops - 19th Aug 2016 7:26pm
Could be Sir, could be. The memory isd not what it used to be.
Snod
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Milk Bottle tops - 19th Aug 2016 8:29pm
Snodvan's memory is good - I too remember the tab on the side of the cardboard closures.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Milk Bottle tops - 19th Aug 2016 9:45pm
I suspect the cardboard discs were discontinued because of the difficulty of machine fitting and the unhygienic arrangement of pushing the card centre into the milk. Could have had bird muck or worse on the outside top surface. It was the norm to lick your cream-covered finger, too!

There was a 'craft pastime' of winding wool round and round the disc through the centre hole, then stitching the discs by their edges to make a colourful table mat or teapot stand.

Oh! The simple pleasures we enjoyed before 'technology' took over!!
Posted By: bri445 Re: Milk Bottle tops - 19th Aug 2016 9:57pm
Used card tops are on eBay! laugh
Posted By: chriskay Re: Milk Bottle tops - 19th Aug 2016 11:04pm
The tab on the side must have been a more modern variation: bah, humbug. The old, traditional ones with the centre push-out were fine: they never fell in but remained attached at one edge. Anyway, we were more robust and disease resistant in those days. oldman
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Milk Bottle tops - 19th Aug 2016 11:48pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
The tab on the side must have been a more modern variation: bah, humbug. The old, traditional ones with the centre push-out were fine: they never fell in but remained attached at one edge. Anyway, we were more robust and disease resistant in those days. oldman

People are too clean nowadays and not disease resistant
I used to pick up every bit of food I dropped and if you said wipesies you was in the clear grin
All you guys are old smile I only remember foil tops that birds used to peck and drink the milk
Posted By: chriskay Re: Milk Bottle tops - 20th Aug 2016 11:29am
Originally Posted by mikeeb

All you guys are old smile I only remember foil tops that birds used to peck and drink the milk

Yes, and then you got whatever diseases the birds carried on their beaks. wink
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Milk Bottle tops - 20th Aug 2016 12:11pm
Cheers you old buggers---ive learnt something today. Even worked for Mike the Milk in the 70s and it was foil and metal on the steri bottles. The pictures of the cardboard ones with the dairys names look well collectable. I do remember the change over in bottle size to the dumpy ones.
Some customers would leave plastic covers or egg cups out for us to put on top of the bottle to stop the tits pecking holes.
Still one or two milkmen left..our local one rattles up the lane about 3am that's early...we didn't start till about 5am...we had to knock the milkman up by tapping the clothes line pole on his bedroom window till the light came on. If he had had a skinful he often fell back to sleep. Happy days.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral