Forums
Posted By: OmiOpi19 looking for grave in 1956 - 2nd Apr 2016 8:16am
I had twin brothers born in the local hospital to Greenlane in Wallasey in 1956, one of the boys died and he was taken to the local catholic church and buried there. My father then let the grave site be used for any other child that may have been in need of plot. I have been told this remained un-named plot! I am wondering would any body have an idea as to what churches may have had burial plots in them in 1956. The boys were born on the 18th of Feb, my brothers name was Martin Hughes. My family migrated to Australia in Feb 1957 and then that June I was Born. As both my parents are deceased I don't have any more information. Would love to one day maybe be able to place a plaque on his grave. Love to hear from anyone with thoughts about this
Posted By: Santos Re: looking for grave in 1956 - 2nd Apr 2016 9:23am
I would suggest that the local hospital would have been the Victoria Central Hospital in Liscard. The only catholic church near there with graves will be St Albans in Mill Lane, Liscard. Perhaps the Priest there could help you.
Posted By: granny Re: looking for grave in 1956 - 2nd Apr 2016 9:24am
Not sure if this will be helpful, but the Archives Dept. have a contact number and they are very helpful.

https://www.wirral.gov.uk/sites/def...e%20user%20guides/Cemetery%20Records.pdf

https://www.wirral.gov.uk/libraries...service/documents-we-hold/church-records
Posted By: Santos Re: looking for grave in 1956 - 2nd Apr 2016 3:19pm
The maternity department of Victoria Central Hospital was called Highfield and was situated in Mill Lane, not far from the St Albans Catholic Church.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: looking for grave in 1956 - 2nd Apr 2016 5:14pm
It is unlikely that he would be buried in St Alban's churchyard in 1956, unless it was in an old family grave. Most likely his funeral would have been at St Alban's and he would have been buried in the Catholic section of one of the public cemeteries, the death will have been recorded in St Alban's registers.

Catholic registers within the diocese of Shrewsbury are either held by the church concerned, or are deposited in the Chester Record Office. Some of St Alban's registers between 1848 and 1996 are at the record office under the reference ERC27.
Posted By: rossie Re: looking for grave in 1956 - 2nd Apr 2016 9:09pm
Catholic funerals normally take place in the parish that the parent is resident regardless of which hospital is involved. So I suspect that your starting point should be your parent's Wallasey address. You can then work out with our help the parish that you need to contact. I assume from your posting that the child was born alive and then died as opposed to being still born. If the latter I am afraid that procedures in 1957 would make it difficult to trace the grave if indeed there is one.
Posted By: Santos Re: looking for grave in 1956 - 3rd Apr 2016 9:15am
If your parents lived in Green Lane, then the English Martyrs' Church in St George's Road, Wallasey would be their parish church.

Contact details :-

Phone 0151 638 3066
Fax 0845 299 1768

However there are no graves around the church so it may be that the suggestion that your brother is buried in the Catholic part of a cemetery is right. Landican Cemetery hold the records for the Wirral Cemetery's so it would be worth contacting them. Its possible he is buried in either Earlston Cemetery, Wallasey, or Frankby Cemetery, Greasby.
Posted By: rossie Re: looking for grave in 1956 - 4th Apr 2016 7:21pm
English Martyrs parish no longer exists. It is Holy Apostles and Martyrs telephone 0151 606 4362.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral