Forums
Posted By: venice History behind a walking stick. - 1st Jan 2016 2:11pm
We have a hand carved walking stick come to us through the family , that we would like to know a bit more about. Its in the attic at the minute so no photo, but its the written info carved into it which is the useful stuff.
Its handcarved over every inch. The handle lifts and converts when tilted 90deg , to a smokers pipe. The top shaft is square with a caged ball amongst decorative carving. On one side is carved the word PRESENT ,and next to it a match holding 'hole' covered with a copper sliding door bearing the inscription surname proably Sinnon or possibly Simon - the initials for the forename could be IJ or JS - really dont know . Next to that, the heavily carved date 1896.
The next side says (all writing heavily carved the width of stick ) FROM MOLD TO, the next one M.ROBERTS.HAWT and the last one HORN DEENE CHESTER

The lower part of the stick has scallops carved out of it all round . The funny thing is, in every scallop is clearly carved 2x2 or sometimes that , but written vertically
x
so Im thinking it might be a bespoke piece for a presentation or something.To a retiring teacher maybe?

Ive learned nothing from googling Horn Deene . The person the stick ended up with (not the owner) is dead, so we cant ask about its origin , but he never went out of the old Flintshire area as far as we know.His family were gamekeepers and farm workers/estate cooks.

Anyone know anything about whether Horn Deene was a place, school, place of work etc ? Were walking sticksa traditional retirement present once? Has anyone seen another stick with a pipe for a handle?
Posted By: Greenwood Re: History behind a walking stick. - 1st Jan 2016 5:44pm
That sounds like a lovely piece of work - a picture would be great to see, sometime. Have you thought of sending a photo of it to the Grosvenor Museum in Chester? They might be able to shed some light on what/where Horn Deene was, to take you further back in its tale.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: History behind a walking stick. - 1st Jan 2016 6:09pm
Just reading your post again, it occurs to me that the carving might carry on from line to line, which would give you Hawthorn Deene. There is a house called Hawthorn Dene (only one e) at Puddington, near Chester. Perhaps you could check out census listings for the house 1891 - 1901 to see if M Roberts lived there.
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 1st Jan 2016 10:19pm
Hi Greenwood. Thanks for your posts. Yes, I hadnt thought of the HAWT linked to THORN --It could be couldnt it . Not very professional looking if it is though!!Dont really thnk the Puddington 'Dene' would be involved though as the DEENE is very clear -- wouldnt know how to check a census address in any case. Think Ill do your first suggestion though when I get a photo , and see if they can throw any light on it. Thanks.
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 1st Jan 2016 11:12pm
Might be, might not be. Haven't read it all and to be honest I can't understand what I have read.

Leave that to you laugh

http://www.2x2ministry.org/2x2_timeline.php

2x2 Religion Founder William Irvine

The "2x2" religion, "2 by 2" religion or "two by two" religion is the religion founded by William Irvine (Master Mason degree in 1885) in about 1897. According to William Irvine, to become a WORKER, one must sell everything (including your house), give them all your money and follow the OVERSEER'S and your older WORKER COMPANION's instructions (WORKERS assigned together call each other "companions").
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: History behind a walking stick. - 1st Jan 2016 11:34pm
Excellent and interesting find granny but the sadly the dates area against you.
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 12:33am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Excellent and interesting find granny but the sadly the dates area against you.

Oh, sorry. What date are we looking for, I thought it was 1896 ?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 1:49am
Yes, two by twos was founded in Ireland in 1897, the society itself didn't use that name until many years later, it was a nickname for them.
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 2:04am
Wow ,good spotting granny -- imagine if it had been something to do with that, that would have been a real find wouldnt it . Strange co-incidence though, all these 2's .
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 7:10am
It is remarkably coincidental, I was trying to find a precursor group but found nothing.

Also found zilch on Hawthorne Deene around Cheshire.
Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 8:03am
A good shout by Greenwood I think.

I can find 2 mentions of Hawthorn Dene, Chester.

An Auction held by Messrs Churton Elphic & Co of Household Furniture, Pictures, etc, at,

Hawthorn Dene, Hoole Rd, Chester.

Instructions from Rev H P Ramsden (Reverend Henry Plumtre Ramsden, Inspector of Schools)

Mrs Maclaverty, Hawthorn Dene
Lady Patroness, Chester Artillery & Rifles

Haven't found the property in any census yet.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 10:47am
Perhaps the walking stick has a tenuous connection to Noah's ark, the caged ball could be a metaphor for the Earth and every living thing caged, or confined aboard the ark. The scallops have an obvious marine theme and, of course, the animals boarded 2 x 2. I'm probably talking a load of tosh, but our forebears were very keen on symbology.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 2:03pm
Yep, things are starting to jigsaw together ....

The Rev. Henry Plumptre Ramsden, 8.A., has been appointed by tbe Lord Bishop of Chester a diocesan inspector of schools for this diocese.
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 2:59pm
It is remarkably coincidental, I was trying to find a precursor group but found nothing.

It did say 'about 1987', that was why I thought there was a slight discrepancy.

William Irvine was a member of the 'Faith Mission in 1896 he joined in 1895 and he was still a Freemason.

quote ""As we continue to receive word that certain itinerant workers (associated with Mr. Irvine and Mr. Cooney) frequently pass under the title of "Pilgrims" or "Faith Workers", we wish it to be observed that the name "Pilgrim" was adopted for our evangelists from the formation of the Faith Mission in 1886, and that the workers of this new association differ very widely..in aims, principles, and methods from those of our Mission"

There is so much to read about this William Irvine and another coincidence is that he had two sisters, one lived in Scotland and one lived in Wales. When he died in Israel he had been there for many years with very few possessions and I wonder if he left some of his possessions with his sister when he went to Israel . Maybe his walking stick ??

Masonic walking sticks or possibly staffs quite often had the caged ball incorporated. Maybe it was symbolic of his split with the Faith Mission and his previous Freemason connections and embarking on his new . The stick didn't necessarily have to have been made in 1896 but could have included 2 x 2 from a later date.

Well, I am a romanticist at heart, but it fits quite well so far. Pilgrims would have travelled and used a walking stick/staff and as he died of throat cancer, he probably smoked too !

There are many links I could put up but unless anyone wishes to read them there is little point, as relevant script is difficult to find amongst the massive history written about him.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 3:08pm
I'm wondering if this was connected to Chester Union Workhouse which was on Hoole Road from 1873. This had a school and a church.
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 3:10pm
There may well have been symbolism involved lud, who knows. Could also have been the maker thinking ah, ball in a cage, seen that done, I can do it to make this look more impressive, and Ill do quick scoops all round the bottom third , to make up the time! Thats part of the magic of the stick isnt it. We will never know exactly what was in the carvers mind c 130 years ago!

Bert , have you found in the past that the words Dene and Deene are used for the same reference to a valley or whatever?
Wonder if the stick was just picked up in an auction rather than originally owned by someone local.Could be in some way connected with Deene in Northants if so.
Its clear it was presented to M ROBERTS , so perhaps the inscription Sinnon on the matchcover was added by a later owner - as its quite sketchily done.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 3:15pm
@granny - yes, of course the 2X2 could have been scribed at a later date - I hadn't thought of that and it wouldn't be an unusual practice.
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 3:26pm
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
Perhaps the walking stick has a tenuous connection to Noah's ark, the caged ball could be a metaphor for the Earth and every living thing caged, or confined aboard the ark. The scallops have an obvious marine theme and, of course, the animals boarded 2 x 2. I'm probably talking a load of tosh, but our forebears were very keen on symbology.

I think you are on the right track, Lud. Definitely symbolic and could be a folk art piece, added to as years went by.

I'm a bit puzzled by the Lord bishop of Chester possibly having a few puffs as he went on his merry way.
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 3:40pm
@ Venice, I think the caged ball in walking staffs, was to do with balance. I did read that somewhere, but how it works is a mystery.

Found it......

"Hiking staffs, or staves, as they were called, were used ever since man stood up right. All people in mountainous areas carried five-foot staves to assist themselves going up and down hills. In Europe, the famous Alpine staff is the favorite. It is an oak staff with a ball on the top and a steel spike at the bottom; the ball balances the staff"

http://www.customwalkingsticks.com/ws_du_sec.shtml

How tall is the walking stick.
and could Sinnon be Simeon or Sion ?
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 4:28pm
http://s376.photobucket.com/user/maryloy/slideshow/

Have used an old photobucket thing. Hope it works. Bit disorganized order for photos, but you'll get the overall picture. Ill measure it shortly granny.

ps Its 86cm tall
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 4:39pm
I see Ive missed off an example of the 2x2 scallop sideways version. Ill see if I can find it and add.

ok seems to have added although not to the same batch. Youve got everything now.
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 6:14pm
Theres the remains of a small link chain on the shaft ,one either side but only a few links left so dont know how long it was. You can see it in one of the photos, I think it would be too uncomforable to be a wrist strap, but cant think of any other purpose?
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 7:14pm
Hawthorn Dene, Hoole Road, Chester. Is that not the present Dene Hotel ?

Maybe the lady from there, moved to Puddington and named her cottage after her old house.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 7:23pm
Interesting, it appears to have been carved by at least three people - or one person in a rush at times.

Its not professionally carved or inscribed, I doubt if its an apprentice piece also.

Typical of prisoner-of-war type pieces but unlikely in this case.

I'd plump for a school piece.

I presume the chain "latched" the handle down?

@granny will come along and blow all I've said out the water now with something she finds wink
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 10:47pm
QUOTE DD "I'd plump for a school piece." Could be - its definitely a bit scabby here and there . Pretty skilled in the ball and chain area though for a schoolgoer.Still you do find gifted 'artists' show up young.

Thanks for everyones input , most interesting. Ill let you know if I get any further after contacting the museum - and I think there may be a history society for Flintshire .
Posted By: Greenwood Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 10:58pm
Thanks for posting the pics - it does have a kind of 'sampler' feel to it. My great-uncle Ernie's walking stick, very simple with a ball top to fit in the palm of the hand, measures 84cm in length, for comparison. He was not a tall man. Quite a mystery!
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 11:01pm
All the 2's that are really throwing me. 2 is a very important number and particularly in Judaism .

Ludwig may be close.

Judaism
The number 2 is important in Judaism, with one of the earliest reference being that God ordered Noah to put two of every unclean animal (Gen. 7:2) in his ark (see Noah's Ark). Later on, the Ten Commandments were given in the form of two tablets. The number also has ceremonial importance, such as the two candles that are traditionally kindled to usher in the Shabbat, recalling the two different ways Shabbat is referred to in the two times the Ten Commandments are recorded in the Torah "

This link seems to have various description on the symbolism of 2.

http://www.ridingthebeast.com/numbers/nu2.php

The stick looks quite battered and it's lovely to see it, which gives a different idea and thought process.

Maybe it was a leaving gift to a head of a school , possibly a religious school, but that's another trail to be followed DD. i.e.Your job laugh

Really interesting Venice, and it's beginning to annoy me , but something will turn up, I'm sure. All eyes focus on Bert smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Jan 2016 11:18pm
Thanks for the pics Venice.....been struggling to visualise this Stick.

Grandad (95 y.o) uses his Grandads stick but it is just a basic wooden one with nobbles et al.
Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Jan 2016 9:54am
I find it odd that there is so little mention of Hawthorn Dene, Chester. Mention of it in newspapers is proof it existed as a residence and yet it doesn't seem to be in directories or census returns. To prove or eliminate M Roberts actually living there at any time, Electoral registers may be the only way. I think they would have to be searched at Cheshire records office.

While searching various sources, I did come across prizes for Bike races, Winners receiving money, runners up, Walking sticks. The mind boggles, who needs a walking stick if you can finish second in a bike race.
Just thought I'd mention it.

Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Jan 2016 11:04am
Dont forget the Deene is spelled differently Bert. (Maybe as in Caldy the place and Calday the Grammer school within) . However Im wondering if maybe Hawthorne Deene was a small private church school too small or short lived/poverty stricken to get a mention , and that the stick was a present to its benefactor or head master, carved by a schoolgoers parent or something when it closed. The actual property it was housed in,may have been a private residence called something else entirely .

Its funny how lumps of history do disappear, Ive got photograph of a yearly festival held somewhere round Northop Hall Clwyd where they held ' The Queen of the Lakes' competition . No mention at all that I could find though , online.Some things just arent important enough to survive .
Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Jan 2016 11:49am
I've looked for various spellings of Dene/Deene, Chester, same result, very little on offer. It wouldn't have Chester if it was elsewhere in the country, I feel certain of that.
The problem around that period of time, writing and spelling was poor. The carver may not have been familiar with how Dene was spelt or that's how it looked if his instructions were badly written.

Whichever way its spelt, it should show up in records or on maps, strange that it doesn't. Perhaps it will eventually, live in hope.

Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Jan 2016 11:53am
I think it's Masonic. Following two quotes with links , seems to give some sort of explanation.

Masons such as Jabez Wilson (REDH) or John Hector McFarlane (NORW) might have had one a three-sided Masonic cane among their collection.

http://www.jadedcompass.com/ocular_helmsman/attire/canes.html

EIGHT - 8

Among the Pythagoreans the number eight was esteemed as the first cube, being formed by the continued multiplication of 2 by 2 by 2, and signified friendship, prudence, counsel, and justice; and, as the cube or reduplication of the first even number, it was made to refer to the primitive law of nature, which supposes all men to be equal.

http://masonicdictionary.com/numbers.html
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Jan 2016 12:13pm
OR... straight back to where we began to the Faith Mission and/or William Irvine of 1896 ,who was himself a freemason.

If it quacks and walks like a duck, then it is a duck. laugh
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Jan 2016 12:23pm
Well, not a good start, my email has come back as undeliverable from the Chester museum website email contact given(which I cut and pasted) Will ring them tomorrow.
Fascinating stuff granny. Might that not be a bit 'above' the unprofessional level of the stick though? I feel if it was a commissioned piece by masons, it would have had to be accurate and better done . There again , maybe this WAS a reject , hence its being passed on and perhaps 'claimed' by Sinnon! That would fit with Bert saying carvers could have been ill educated. Gosh the possibilities are endless arent they.
Posted By: cools Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Jan 2016 12:53pm
One for the Antiques Road Show this Venice. If they're ever near by maybe worth a visit ....

Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Jan 2016 1:07pm
Reference to carvers being ill educated.

Yet again we return to the Faith Mission.(or 2 x 2's) It was a group of pilgrims who were encouraged to give up their homes and travel. Preaching whatever they believed and at the same time teaching their crafts wherever they went.

So this stick could really fit in well with that approach. A combined piece of work from teacher to various levels of different skills.
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Jan 2016 1:25pm
Ive just been reading a site about schools in Chester in the 19C and apparently the small religious and free'rag' schools were at their height in Chester during the second half. Didnt find any mention of Hawthorn or any form of Deene though sadly.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Jan 2016 3:40pm
Just to eliminate one thing, the Dene Hotel was definitely not Hawthorn Dene in that era. The name and building came much later.
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Jan 2016 5:18pm
Oh , Ive been looking for a histotical map I had once off here, that you place over todays map to see what it was like, to see if there was maybe any school marked there, so youve saved me that thanks DD . I dont reckon we are going to get to the bottom of this one.
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Jan 2016 7:31pm
Originally Posted by bert1
An Auction held by Messrs Churton Elphic & Co of Household Furniture, Pictures, etc, at,

Hawthorn Dene, Hoole Rd, Chester.

Instructions from Rev H P Ramsden (Reverend Henry Plumtre Ramsden, Inspector of Schools)

Mrs Maclaverty, Hawthorn Dene
Lady Patroness, Chester Artillery & Rifles

Rev. H P Ramsden ( Henry Plumtre Ramsden) was Rector of Cottingham 1889 to 1902 (East Riding of Yorks)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Jan 2016 7:42pm
And on offer was,

Attached picture hd.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Jan 2016 7:50pm
Originally Posted by venice
Oh , Ive been looking for a histotical map I had once off here, that you place over todays map to see what it was like, to see if there was maybe any school marked there, so youve saved me that thanks DD . I dont reckon we are going to get to the bottom of this one.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side...-2.8690&layers=171&right=BingHyb
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Jan 2016 7:51pm

The Rev. Henry Plumptre Ramsden, 8.A., has been appointed by tbe Lord Bishop of Chester a diocesan inspector of schools for this diocese.

Cottingham , not Cheshire+

The Bishop of Chester is both the rector and patron of Cottingham, and the owner of the great tithes, though the parish is in the diocese of York.
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Jan 2016 8:23pm
Ah, thats the one, thanks Bert Ill stick it on my desktop. So we know there was a property called Hawthorn Dene on Hoole Rd - once yet no mention of its existence now. So, its name must have been changed on sale ? Must have been a decent size/quality of property judging by its sale contents.Think Ill Google earth myself up that road and see whats to be seen.
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Jan 2016 9:42pm
Chester Education and Schools.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/ches/vol5/pt2/pp277-291
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Jan 2016 11:30pm
Originally Posted by granny

Cottingham , not Cheshire+

The Bishop of Chester is both the rector and patron of Cottingham, and the owner of the great tithes, though the parish is in the diocese of York.

His son was born in Cheshire so I presumed he moved over here, not a lot of history on him which I find surprising.
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 2:01am
Good man, DD!
..and maybe he was appointed to Chester, but I understood it to be Cottingham from the article I read. Granny probably got it wrong. He didn't seem to be here long enough for that,really.

He was in Chilham,Kent in 1871
Married in Kensington,London in 1887, baby born Hoole in 1888, and then moved to Cottingham 1889.Same year as the auction. Do we assume H,P.R. was the vicar at All Saints's Church, Hoole ? He died 1901 aged 53yrs. Had 4 children, William was the eldest.

William Havelock Chaplin Ramsden
England, Cheshire Bishop's Transcripts, 1598-1900

christening:

24 November 1888

Hoole, Cheshire, England

residence:

24 November 1888

, Hoole, Cheshire, England

father:

Henry Plumptre Ramsden

mother:

Ethel Frances Alice
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 5:34am
All Saint's Vicar 1871-1907 was Frederick Anderson.
Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 7:19am
Previous to Chester, Rev H P Ramsden was Diocesan Inspector for Newcastle, appointed in 1881 and took up his post at Chester in 1882, succeeding J F Buckler who took up a post at Bedson.

Henry Plumtre Ramsden married Ethel Frances Alice Havelock.

Their son,

Major General William Havelock Chaplin Ramsden, Military Cross, 1918. DSO, 1939. CBE, 1940. CB, 1943.
Died, 1969, Aldershot.

Back to the Walking Stick,
We still need to know if M Roberts lived at Hawthorn Dene or the stick is referring to an area of Chester.

If it was the property, it may give us an understanding of his standing in society, previously being occupied by the Reverend and Mrs Maclaverty, very likely the wife of Lieut-General Maclaverty, RA.

The last person to own the stick, is his/her family history known.
Could it have been handed down from a Roberts relative?
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 9:32am
Although it came to me via family , I didnt get the impression it was an 'heirloom', but Ill have a look back on the little family history there is on that side , and see if theres a Roberts .

Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 11:55am
I looked along Hoole Rd to see what houses may have been Hawthorn Dene . The most likely one, to me , is a building which is on the old map , next to the church, now a primary school called St Martins Academy . Its only been this school for a couple of years, was vacant a year before that (owned by local authority) but dont know its history beyond that .

Asking a family member , this stick is more likely to have come to us via the spouse of the person we thought - so the family werent gamekeepers , they were farmers , same area. Flintshire.

If the above is right, via an Edward Hooson born 30th Nov 1823 in Northop. Died 14th April 1881.He married Dinah Roberts in 1849 at Holywell. She was born in 1829 in Northop. No date of death.

If she was born in 1829 , its likely her father was born around 1800, so would have been 96 when the stick was presented, so not likely .I suppose its just possible she had brothers who would have carried on the Roberts name, and that one of Dinah's children inherited the stick from a cousin. Stretching it a bit though .

Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 1:20pm
The most likely death for Dinah Hooson, 1913 aged 84, gives a birth date, 1829, registered at Holywell

Also in Hoole Rd is the Dene Hotel, has that name for a reason, even if not around at the time. Also in the correct time period, Hawthorn Villas, six in all.
I did wonder if one of these villas carried the name Hawthorn Dene, even though they are numbered 1 to 6 on the census returns.
Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 1:37pm
I have the probates for Edward & Dinah if you would like me to post them, above death for Dinah is correct.
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 5:22pm
Just to eliminate one thing, the Dene Hotel was definitely not Hawthorn Dene in that era. The name and building came much later.

If youre saying that Hawthorne Deene was earlier,
Couldnt it have been on that hotel site though , and hence later the Dene hotel was partly called after it?
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 5:23pm
I will pm you Bert
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 6:02pm
This is a stretch Bert, but Hawthorn villas -Are they still there? Could they maybe have formed a private school -Hawthorn school-? Maybe too in the same way the Deene could have been mispelled Dene, it could also have been a misspelling of Dean ,as in Dean of a religious school in Hoole Rd Chester.
M ROBERTS -HAWTHORN DEAN - CHESTER.

Grasping at straws now lol! Google cant find any school deans called Roberts! - and why a present from Mold.
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 6:13pm
Alert Re-group, re-group.

Why are we concentrating on Hoole and have we forgotten about Hawthorn Dene of Puddington, that Greenwood originally mentioned ?

Details

SJ 37 SW PUDDINGTON C.P. THE VILLAGE

3/14 Hawthorn Dene and Lilac Cottage. 12.6.85 II Formerly farmhouse now 2 houses: early 18 century with later extension, upwards, to rear and to right side, some 20 century alterations. English bond and English garden wall bond red brick. Welsh slate roof and 3 brick chimneys. Double-pile plan. 3-storey, nearly symmetrical 3-bay front. Brick band at 1st floor and simple brick cornice. Windows are 3-light casements with transom, under segmental brick heads, simpler windows in top storey. Central wooden doorcase contains fanlight with vertical glazing bars and a 5-panelled door. Extension to right is of 2 storeys, and is now a separate house. Similar casements and added gabled porch against right side. Interior: heavy ceiling beams visible in Hawthorn Dene.

Add to that Bishop Wilson School, Puddington Lane, Burton.

Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 6:34pm
But why would it state Chester then ?
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 7:18pm
Don't know. Maybe he had a new job in Chester.

Located within the City of Chester and West Cheshire according to this..

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.c...e-lilac-cottage-puddington-#.VorHov8rHmI
Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 8:21pm
This is a stretch Bert, but Hawthorn villas -Are they still there? Could they maybe have formed a private school -Hawthorn school-? Maybe too in the same way the Deene could have been mispelled Dene, it could also have been a misspelling of Dean ,as in Dean of a religious school in Hoole Rd Chester.
M ROBERTS -HAWTHORN DEAN - CHESTER.

Grasping at straws now lol! Google cant find any school deans called Roberts! - and why a present from Mold.

I don't know exactly where the Villas were and I haven't got a decent enough map of Chester, all I can say they were in Hoole Rd. Properties close to them, Bee Hive Hotel, Moor House, The Elms.
Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 8:29pm
Don't know. Maybe he had a new job in Chester.

Located within the City of Chester and West Cheshire according to this..

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.c...e-lilac-cottage-puddington-#.VorHov8rHmI

Haven't dismissed it completely,

I get only one hit for Hawthorn Dene, The Village Puddington, that's in the 1984 telephone book.

There's no mention of it in the 1911 Summary Books (Puddington, Entire) the Enumerators words, not mine.

Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 8:53pm
It could come under Burton, Bert. Puddington being like a spot.
Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 9:06pm
It could come under Burton, Bert. Puddington being like a spot.

No, can't find it in Burton.

Losing the will to live now wink
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 9:18pm
I think we all are, but maybe one last 'go' hey Bert. Could it be under Neston ? crazy

http://www.dustydocs.com/link/5/24910/178329/parish-page-familysearch.html

Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 9:21pm
How about Lilac Cottage as the two were knocked into one, or was it the other way around?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 9:30pm
But why would it state Chester then ?

Very common to use Chester meaning Cheshire.

This is a tad frustrating, quite a lot of information to start with and every route is coming up with absurd problems.

I agree the "from Mold" without any qualification is strange.
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 9:45pm
Going to get rid of this rocking horse. Back and forth, back and forth....

There is also an area in Denbighshire called Hawthorn Dene.

That's just to add confusion. smile Mold used to be in Denbyshire, but I don't know if this is a newly named area or not.

http://www.pentalocal.uk/wales/denbighshire/hawthorn-dene/

Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 9:47pm
I think we all are, but maybe one last 'go' hey Bert. Could it be under Neston ? crazy

No and no for Lilac Cottage.
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 9:54pm

No and no for Lilac Cottage.

Always thought that place was full of ghosts.
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 4th Jan 2016 9:56pm
Im just grateful for all the extra possibilities Ive heard via you all thanks, its been really interesting , and I never expected really to find much more of info out .Ive learned loads of 'asides' too on the way. You should all have a well earned rest , and I will get back to you on it if the Grosvenor gets back to me.

Just one last thought --I hadnt actually considered till Bert said, that it might have been from a member of the family - having not been given that impression at all, but it looks to me that that angle could be ruled out, if Dinah Roberts didnt have any boys with a name beginning with M. Does wherever you found Dinah show that Bert?
Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 5th Jan 2016 6:13am
I haven't looked into Dinah's family, other than a quick glimpse. The possibilities would be endless and only someone researching their own Roberts line would get to the bottom of it, in terms of time spent and any expense involved. There would be to many, Uncles, Cousins, Nephews, etc. assuming that is, M Roberts is a man.
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 5th Jan 2016 1:07pm
Ah right, thanks bert. Im ignorant when it comes to family history options. I do hope the museum get back, although they havent acknowledged the email or anything so far. They may of course just rely on the same resources our history buffs on here have used , so this may be the end of the line. Not to worry , its been an interesting journey thanks everyone.
Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 5th Jan 2016 1:50pm
I would get in touch with these, ask if Hawthorn Dene, Hoole Rd, Chester shows on the Electoral register between 1890 & 1900 and if M Roberts occupies it within those times.

Cheshire Archives and Local Studies
Browse repositories

Cheshire Record Office
Duke Street
Chester
England
CH1 1RL

Telephone:

01244 972 574

Fax:

01244 973 812

Email:

[email protected]
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 5th Jan 2016 3:03pm
Right, that emails gone off Bert, thanks. Fingers crossed.
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 6th Jan 2016 3:14pm
This is from the record office .Thats nice of them. It came with some old maps which may or may not show hawthorne Dene on them . They are so small and even on full screen they go no bigger . Am going out now, will fiddle later to see what I can do with them.

We are only able to carry out short searches free of charge and searching the electoral register for the period you require would be subject to a search fee of £12.50. I have however checked the 1892 Kelly’s Directory of Cheshire for 1892 and under the listing for Hoole I noted the following:

Roberts William Morris, com. Traveller, Hawthorn Dean, Hoole Road

That sounds promising , but not ideal that he's a commercial traveller.
Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 6th Jan 2016 3:37pm
Something to get stuck into though, I still got no hits for that, had to search manually.

Attached picture morris william roberts.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 6th Jan 2016 4:08pm
Hawthorne Dene/Dean/Deene is very likely to be 87 Hoole Rd, at least that was the address of William Morris Roberts, 1901 census.

Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 6th Jan 2016 4:17pm
1896 Directory,

Attached picture 1896 roberts.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 6th Jan 2016 4:53pm
William Morris Roberts, born 1848, Carnarvon married Catherine Williams Pierce,born 1849, Rhosesmor, Parish of Northop. Married 1872, Carnarvon.

Places they lived,

1881, Shrewsbury
1891 Mold
1892 Hoole rd Chester
1896 "
1901 "
1911, The Shrublands, Hoole, Chester,

He was a commercial Traveller and in 1911 he was a director of a Lead Mine.
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 6th Jan 2016 5:50pm
Brilliant. Well done.

Here is a bit more of interest on William Morris Roberts. The last post made December 2015. Might be interesting if he should know anything about the walking Stick. Wouldn't it be nice if it could be returned to the family ?

http://www.aditnow.co.uk/community/viewtopic.aspx?t=9321
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 6th Jan 2016 5:52pm
Wow bert, thanks . So I it looks like this is our man!!?? Its like a real mystery unfolding piece by peace !
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 6th Jan 2016 6:36pm
piece by piece even!
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 6th Jan 2016 7:37pm
Thanks for your last post too granny. All very interesting. Will register and do a post in answer to the last one and see if a link can be established between Dinah and jessie Jones. Will consider your suggestion seriously too after looking further into connections.

Well well whoever would have thought we would have got this far .Do you think its the same chap, granny? Bert? DD ? Greenwood?
Im a bit thrown that the carving is done in the initial of the middle name , but I suppose if it wasnt a formal presentation ,a perhaps more commonly used middle name would be quite normal.
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 6th Jan 2016 7:54pm
This is the link the record office sent me , in flickr format. Cant see the relevance myself ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cheshirero/23216874210/in/photostream/
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: History behind a walking stick. - 6th Jan 2016 8:46pm
Excellent work Venice & Bert

91 is the building immediately east of All Saints, assuming 89 is All Saints itself makes 87 immediately west. This is confirmed by 85 being the next one along.

87 was called "Shrublands" and has been demolished in more recent times.

"Shrubland," Hoole-road; three sitting and seven bedrooms, gardens, stabling

The church owned a lot of the land on the south side of Hoole Road in area.
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 6th Jan 2016 9:13pm
All Saints Church, address is vicarage Road, Hoole.

Shrublands 1945 was a nursing home for having babies. On the corner of Hamilton Street.

Attached picture shrubland.jpg
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 6th Jan 2016 9:23pm
All Saint's Church was built in 1867....the land must have belonged to another if we look at some of the details on this.

Commercial travellers AGAIN ! (I hope it wasn't a naughty place) shocked

http://www.mgtr.vispa.com/np2.htm
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 6th Jan 2016 9:40pm
Shrublands was on the left side of pic of Hamilton Street. Forgot to say.

quote;
" It was a big house with lots of apple trees. I was caught scrumping when the geese they kept made a noise and I was caught. I got away before the police came "
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 6th Jan 2016 10:02pm
Can take hardly any credit DD. Results mostly down to bert granny and yourself . Im an ignoramus when it comes to how to go about digging out the info for things like this . You lot are the expert seekers and finders. I wonder if we will ever find why M Roberts was given this stick and why it had the 2x2's !
Thanks again everyone. Will let you know if any more comes of it.
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 6th Jan 2016 10:47pm
Known as 'The North Wales Travellers'. That might be where the cane comes into play , possibly some sort of society.

Bert might be able to get the remainder of this article. Give an insight as to what Shrublands was used for.(maybe)

chair was taken by Mr Robert Evans, Shrublands. Chester, the doyen of the North Wales travellers. The vice-chair was ocoupied by onr townsman. Mr Lewis Hartley, and Messrs J. O. Morris, Rees Watkins, J. Evans, and J. G. Hughes, were amongst, those preeent. After the usual loyal toasts, the Chairman proposed the health of Mr E. H. Owen, and invited those present to speak to the toast. Testimony was…

The North Wales Chronicle and Advertiser for the…

6th May 1893 (Welsh Newspapers online)

Also William Morris Roberts was also listed at the same address (i.e.Shrublands) on the following. Under Chester W.M.Roberts but I don't know what for.
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/27980/page/9150/data.pdf

Enjoyed it Venice. Wishing you well in your continued searching.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: History behind a walking stick. - 6th Jan 2016 11:27pm
Also William Morris Roberts was also listed at the same address (i.e.Shrublands) on the following. Under Chester W.M.Roberts but I don't know what for.
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/27980/page/9150/data.pdf

LAND TAX COMMISSIONERS' NAMES.
Schedule of names of persons referred to in an Act of the sixth year of His present Majesty, intituled "An Act to appoint additional Commissioners for executing the Acts granting a Land Tax and other Rates and Taxes, and to remove the qualification by estate required in the case of all such Commissioners, whether appointed under this or any previous Act."
Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 7th Jan 2016 6:10am
Venice,

I think the stick belonged to William Morris Roberts, too many coincidences for it not to, its likely he was known as Morris and used his full name for official form filling, many did and do.

It looks highly likely it was presented to him by the Chester & North Wales Travellers, seems a nice fit doesn't it?

Connecting him or his family to Dinah Roberts and her family would as I previously mentioned be time consuming and perhaps expensive, because proof may only be obtained by the purchase of certificates.

Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 7th Jan 2016 6:31am
1891 advert,

Attached picture shrub1891.JPG
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 7th Jan 2016 10:56am
Hawthorne Dene/Dean/Deene is very likely to be 87 Hoole Rd, at least that was the address of William Morris Roberts, 1901 census.

Beginning to think these buildings were of an official capacity.

Someone else looking for Shrublands . If Hawthorn Dene is most likely to be 87, and W.M.Roberts is mentioned at both Hawthorn Dene and Shrublands..... here must be the answer from 1967 Kelly's directory.

quote "From my 1967 Kelly's Directory of Chester I find:

87/89 Hoole Road, Shrubslands, Private Home for the Aged

87/89 is between Hamilton St and Vicarage Road."

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CHESHIRE/2002-01/1012075289
---------------------------------------------------------------
What do you have now Venice ? I have been trying to work out where we have come to, after being all around the country.

For definite We have :

a) a walking stick dated 1896 to M.Roberts, Hawthorn Dene,Chester from Mold

b) W.M.Roberts (born 1848 )address Hawthorn Dene from 1892.Commercial Traveller.Address at Shrublands in 1911. In 1911 a director of a lead mine and a family connection. http://www.aditnow.co.uk/community/viewtopic.aspx?t=9321

c) Hawthorn Dene , Hoole, Chester and an auction in 1889, instructed by Rev. H.P. Ramsden.

d) 1896 still at Hawthorn Dene ,Hoole Road. also Date on the walking stick.

e) Rev. Henry Plumpton Ramsden diocesan inspector of schools for this diocese.1882

f) Lord Bishop of Chester (official capacity relating to Rev.Ramsden)

g) a number of commercial travellers @ address Shrublands between 1861 and 1891

h)Undeciphered Code on a bloody walking stick.

Is there anything missed off of any relevance atm. ?

Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 7th Jan 2016 11:53am
I know bert,but the mining forum guy appeared to already be researching his tree, so may well have already done it.( Dinah wouldnt have been significant to him at the time ) If its the same tree as Dinah, I could add what I know for him. I have a bit more family history (left to me, I didnt do it myself) on the side that it looks like the stick has come via, than on the side we originally thought it came via .Happy to buy the certificates needed if he doesnt come back or doesnt know, may as well find out having come this far.

Interesting prices. £75 a month eh, for what must have been a huge property if you look at the average 3/4 shillings ones.

DD your last post and granny's quote -- M Roberts occupation is named as 'gentleman' . Does that mean by 1906 he was pretty wealthy?.Does the cutting, mean hes being considered for a commissioners job of some sort ? Dont understand what this means either- quote - and to remove the qualification by estate required in the case of all such Commissioners, ?

I always associate the historical term 'Traveller' with the snake oil image, selling a bit of this and that, to scratch a living . Could he have gone from salesman to gentleman over a short period I wonder , or is the term gentleman here, not to be read into as ' non working moneyd ?
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 7th Jan 2016 11:56am
only just read your last post granny after posting myself . Need to go out now , will respond later.
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 7th Jan 2016 12:43pm
Chester and North Wales Commercial Travellers Association.

Seem to have involvement relating to many things , So DD might well be right when he mentioned workhouse/orphanage (?) . Plenty of info on web and obviously a body of business people who were in an important position. John Rylands was also a member at one time.

Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 7th Jan 2016 1:36pm
Hi granny - I too have this morning being investigating the NW commercial travellers association , which led me to the website of historic welsh newspaper articles youve probably seen as you mention the association seem to be into allsorts
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4590619/4590625/34/
(second 'no title' heading down) This sort of feels like links to the Masonic angle dont you think? I dug some more into that site and found the association also held walking competitions .I wonder if the stick was presented as a prize for that maybe .That would fit with berts idea.

Bit more digging that site led me to something irrelevant, but interesting(Although not as intriguing as another article there about the person who swallowed a walking stick !! GOOD LORD I think I might be getting more interested in social history!!!!

"QUEER WALKING STICKS. There are now in the market scores of walking sticks and riding whips which are made from monkeys' tails," said a. London dealer in canes and umbrellas; "these in the rough, mostly coming from Brazil and from certain parts of India, where the natives prepare them for the market. I have seen many a stick which has been made out. of the twisted ligaments from the legs of wild ani- mals, and I have one in the shop now. But then I know a stick-maker chemically prepares fix-fax,' which he buys from the butchers, and out of thie he makes beautiful little whips for cavalry officers. Then there is another kind of stick made from a peculiarly tough fungus, not unlike an ordinary mushroom in the rough etaie, which comee from Java. The stalk1 grows to an immense length, and when the whole thing is properly prepared it becomes even hard, and can be trimmed and turned as to the head. Paper sticks are coming most strongly into vogue, and very Leautiful sticks they axe, besides being absolutely unbreakable by any ordinary means. You see, they can be dyed to any colour, and they turn in a lathe like the finest ivory." -?-
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 7th Jan 2016 2:21pm
The
branches of the Commercial Travellers’ Christian Union arranged excursions, though their monthly
meetings centred on talks on religious themes an
d sermons plus teas in line with their temperance
principles

Hosgood argued that commercial travellers posse
ssed a well-established and resilient 'culture of
fraternity', which belied images of lower middle-class insecurity.
While ‘on the road’,
they stayed in
commercial hotels where their sense of solidarity wa
s expressed through rituals, resembling Masonic
practices,"

http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/4535/1/4535.pdf

There was another quote on the page somewhere I can find again, that said it wasnt known how much Masonics influenced the travellers assoc, but there was at least one travellers group within the Masons.
Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 7th Jan 2016 2:25pm
I know bert,but the mining forum guy appeared to already be researching his tree, so may well have already done it.( Dinah wouldnt have been significant to him at the time ) If its the same tree as Dinah, I could add what I know for him. I have a bit more family history (left to me, I didnt do it myself) on the side that it looks like the stick has come via, than on the side we originally thought it came via .Happy to buy the certificates needed if he doesnt come back or doesnt know, may as well find out having come this far

Venice,

If you're going to do family research, you have to be wary of others trees and their findings, they may be wrong. Its best if you do your own research and start a tree from a point you think fit. Seek help by all means and there is plenty of help available. One of the major problems in family history is that far to many people accept that other peoples trees are correct without checking that information completely.
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 7th Jan 2016 2:39pm
The religious connection might explain the 2x2,s
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 7th Jan 2016 2:42pm
Ah, yes bert, point taken . Not sure Ill become a family history buff , but Ill bear what you say in mind thanks .
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 7th Jan 2016 6:05pm
From what I can gather, William Irvine joined the Faith Mission in 1895. He was sent from Scotland to Southern Ireland to head the organization in 1896. By 1897 he was becoming disillusioned after reading Matthew 10. In 1898 he met Edward Cooney, who was a Christian Commercial Traveller . From that meeting and the bible classes based on the teachings of Matthew Ch.10, Cooney gave up his job and joined the unfolding movement of the 2 x 2 church that began to transpire at the turn of 20th c., taking with them members from the Faith Mission sect.
The 2 x 2's were going out to preach( that's why they were called 'Tramp Preachers'or Pilgrims) 2 at a time and those who joined were to give up their wealth and property, presumably to give to the poor.

The only thing I can now think is that M.Roberts was a member of the Faith Mission when it was founded (or near enough)and at a later date moved to the 2 x 2 church, which was a Christian sect. and would presumably somehow have connections with the Anglican Church.

The fact that William Irvine from Scotland had a sister in Wales intrigues me a little from your family history point of view ,Venice. Her married surname was Cleland . The other sister was also Cleland as they married brothers.
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 7th Jan 2016 7:18pm
Having read more about the 2x2's No tobacco was one of their 'no no' s so on reflection , it would be an anomily to have a pipe walking stick with 2x2's all over it , so I think there must be another explanation for the markings.
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 8th Jan 2016 3:09pm
You won't believe this ! Last night I was talking to a friend whom I have know for 10yrs or more. I asked if he knew anything about the Faith Mission.

Ha! His reply...."I am still a Faith Mission pilgrim "

To cut a long story short, he joined the Faith Mission in 1960's as a young man. He had to go to their Edinburgh College to study for 2/3 yrs including hard graft like on hands and knees scrubbing floors etc . (Sounds like a penance similar to monks )Had to give up his job, not allowed to work or have an income .He travelled around the country in pairs,(men ) staying at all sorts of odd places sometimes hostels, sometimes caravans, etc. all provided by the Mission.
He met his wife who was also in the Mission but they ended up travelling in different places. Once they were married they carried on the same way. They had no home and had an income of £35 a quarter (joint) to live off .
Eventually they decided they wanted a family and had to come back to base and find employment and a home, but he is still classed as a pilgrim.

May I say, a more compassionate , gentle and caring person to everyone, you could never meet.

Maybe the 1871/1881/1891/ 1901 Census' could give a place for W.M.Roberts. "BERT " hi

I think you should take the stick to the museum . They will have better access for searching the origins of such things. Value is not of importance it's the history that has the value, which could be great or small.
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 8th Jan 2016 3:38pm
Strange coincidence indeed granny. You dont get many of them to the sq mile!
I already emailed the museum a couple of days ago (Grosvenor) ,with the photos of the stick, but no comment back yet .
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 8th Jan 2016 3:41pm
Forget the census Bert...you've already done it verysorry

According to my friend, the Faith Mission is flourishing . They just don't advertise it I suppose.

Didn't see your post Venice. Yes, I hope they do get back to you and just give them a gentle nudge if you haven't had a response from them in the next few days. They should at least, acknowledge your enquiry.
Posted By: dustymclean Re: History behind a walking stick. - 8th Jan 2016 4:17pm
Present from Mold to M Roberts HAWT (acronym)Having A Wonderful Time.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: History behind a walking stick. - 8th Jan 2016 5:17pm
Originally Posted by dustymclean
Present from Mold to M Roberts HAWT (acronym)Having A Wonderful Time.

I thought that at first and very in keeping with the era but when it was pointed out that the "HORN" part follows and makes Hawthorn I'd tend to go with the latter.

Its been hard enough find about "Hawthorn Deene", "Horn Deene" sounds unlikely
Posted By: dustymclean Re: History behind a walking stick. - 8th Jan 2016 6:18pm
The letters go 10 12 16 could be 10 16 10 to complete the word. I would assume the stick tapers so would make more sense with more circumference to work on.Venice has already mentioned Horndean which is 2009 miles from Mold. The 2x2 matrix formula is beyond me as is squaring the circle.I think the answer is still waiting to be found and takes nothing away from what has already been suggested.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: History behind a walking stick. - 8th Jan 2016 6:55pm
I have wondered if it has been fabricated from a table leg or similar.
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 8th Jan 2016 11:18pm
Youve lost me dusty! Im hopeless with numbers . I mentioned Horndean? I did?? HOW many miles away shocked

DD Agree, it could well be a chair leg now you mention it.

Can anyone who understands olde english letters please have another look at the Sinnon inscription on the stick and see what you think the initial are please. Ive been using John as you have to put in a given name .Dont reckon there will be many Sinnons round.
Posted By: granny Re: History behind a walking stick. - 8th Jan 2016 11:54pm
I would have thought 'I. T. Sinnon ' For some reason the name Sinnon seems to shout out American ! Shanty town American.

Even a table leg after an old pub brawl.

Really , it's best to ignore my comments from now on. smile

Attached picture DSC03559_zpseviup6qw.jpg
Attached picture DSC03553_zpse4vf2eft.jpg
Attached picture DSC03554_zps50nseysd.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: History behind a walking stick. - 9th Jan 2016 12:45am
I think its "Simon"

Ascender on the "m" as there is on the final "n", no attempt at an ascender in the middle.

Simmon was a much more common surname than Simon.

I agree on "I.T." as the most likely initials.
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 9th Jan 2016 10:19am
Thanks for renewing pics granny and for your and DD's confirmation of the letters. Ill give it a go with Simon and Simmon .

To be honest, researching must be very hit and miss . I had no idea that a mixture of using middle/other christian names,randomly altered spellings of surnames ,and general bad spelling even in articles recorded in newspapers , was such a big problem.

Just look at this newspaper article from the era we've been looking at. Obviously didnt have inhouse readers in those days before it went to press.Funny, I worked for a newspaper once, and lots of silly mistakes passed via readers uncorrected , and I used to imagine it was a modern 'careless about your work' attitude that wouldnt have happened 'in the old days' Obviously a very wrong assumption!

"PULVOKD.�LODGE ANNIVERSARY.�The Earl Grosvtnor Lodge, Chester District of tbe In dependent Order of Oddrellonrs (M.U.), held its anniversary on Monday last. The members, in full regalia, walked m piocession from their lodge-room through Pultord, Lavister, and Rosset, headed by the Nmtwicb Prize Band. They then attended a special service at Pulford Church, where an appropriate sermon w_s preached by the ev, J. Williams, the rector. Dinner was afterwards partaken of at the lodge- room. Grosvenor Arms, Pulford. The fine weather drew a lurgtJ number te the Green in the evening, where dancing and other games were in- dulged in till duk. The Lodge is in a very flourishing ion."
Posted By: Greenwood Re: History behind a walking stick. - 9th Jan 2016 1:23pm
*chortle* Typesetter should've gone to Specsavers!
Posted By: venice Re: History behind a walking stick. - 9th Jan 2016 5:48pm
Ha , you're right Greenwood! Hard to know how it could have been quite that bad because they had mirrors , so although the letters would have been set individually ,looking back to front , most compositors could read that way fluently , and till they could, mirrors were used to check work.To be fair, sometimes there was probably just no time, papers had to go to press at a set time and that was it.Putting the paper to bed they used to call it .
Posted By: bert1 Re: History behind a walking stick. - 10th Jan 2016 7:39am
The above transcription is the fault of the Electronic Wizardry that scanned it, the original is not that bad, considering it's well over a hundred years old.

Attached picture ooooooooooo.JPG
Posted By: SueKing Re: History behind a walking stick. - 2nd Apr 2023 6:54am
I've just joined this forum as I am interested in the "shrubland.jpg" attached to this thread by granny. I was born at Shrublands in 1942 and I would dearly love to have a copy of the jpg - especially if it is an image of the building. Thank you in advance.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: History behind a walking stick. - 3rd Apr 2023 7:10am
Originally Posted by SueKing
I've just joined this forum as I am interested in the "shrubland.jpg" attached to this thread by granny. I was born at Shrublands in 1942 and I would dearly love to have a copy of the jpg - especially if it is an image of the building. Thank you in advance.

The picture is of the end terraced house (Alexandra Terrace) on the western side of Hamilton Street, it is neither of the Shrublands nor Shrubland Villa semis. I have no idea which building(s) were the maternity home.

It does have a small amount of the corner wall and a gate post belonging to Shrubland Villa.
Posted By: SueKing Re: History behind a walking stick. - 11th Apr 2023 4:23pm
Thank you very much for responding, and sorry for the delay on my side (I'm a new member). A shame that the picture is not of Shrublands itself. We can't win them all, can we?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral