Forums
Posted By: tobyhoward Chalets at New Brighton - 12th Nov 2015 12:14pm
Hi, does anyone remember there being holiday chalets on the beach at the Wallasey end of King's Parade in the area below the Derby Pool pub? Up until the mid 60s perhaps?

cheers,
Toby
Posted By: Wally1 Re: Chalets at New Brighton - 12th Nov 2015 12:35pm
Yes - there was a row of them in front of the minigolf
between what is now the sailing club and the car park
in front of the Derby Pool Pub.
Posted By: Santos Re: Chalets at New Brighton - 12th Nov 2015 2:33pm
There is a picture of them HERE
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Chalets at New Brighton - 12th Nov 2015 3:10pm
Remember them well. I think they were there up till mid 70s
Posted By: Dilly Re: Chalets at New Brighton - 12th Nov 2015 3:19pm
Originally Posted by lollipop
Remember them well. I think they were there up till mid 70s

You would do, you probably had one being from a posh family smile x
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Chalets at New Brighton - 12th Nov 2015 4:38pm
No.... We had a static caravan at plas coch in Anglesey. We lost that to gale winds in 82. That's what I think happens to the chalets in the 70s. The wind took them and they never got replaced. laugh laugh
Posted By: Dilly Re: Chalets at New Brighton - 12th Nov 2015 5:09pm
Originally Posted by lollipop
No.... We had a static caravan at plas coch in Anglesey. We lost that to gale winds in 82. That's what I think happens to the chalets in the 70s. The wind took them and they never got replaced. laugh laugh

That's even posher laffin
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Chalets at New Brighton - 12th Nov 2015 6:27pm
Yeah I know that now, for its time it was a bit posh. But remember I was an only child. Other families more kids. My parents would love this posh label you've given them dilly, one being a northender and the other price street.
Posted By: Wally1 Re: Chalets at New Brighton - 13th Nov 2015 1:23am
Originally Posted by Santos
There is a picture of them HERE

That photo reminded me - the space in front of the chalets
let them down as it was a mixture of sand and broken cinders
and stone. A pity because the chalets were nice.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Chalets at New Brighton - 13th Nov 2015 2:10pm
I think there's a second picture of them here:

http://photos.francisfrith.com/frith/wallasey-harrison-drive-beach-c1965_w164059_large.jpg
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Chalets at New Brighton - 14th Nov 2015 1:19pm
Much of New Brighton is a windswept area, unrelieved by trees, bushes, amusements or anything else to attract visitors. Bringing back a few beach huts or similar might greatly improve it. Very little could make it worse.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Chalets at New Brighton - 15th Nov 2015 3:30pm
How cute! I do like beach huts - not that I could afford one, apart from the doll's house-sized one I'm being bought for my birthday! A new row would definitely enhance the area, but I don't know how long they'd last; they'd be a vandal magnet.
Posted By: Santos Re: Chalets at New Brighton - 16th Nov 2015 3:48pm
Originally Posted by Greenwood
How cute! I do like beach huts - not that I could afford one, apart from the doll's house-sized one I'm being bought for my birthday! A new row would definitely enhance the area, but I don't know how long they'd last; they'd be a vandal magnet.

You are quite right. A couple were burnt down and that plus damage by the sea, convinced the Council to demolish them all.
Posted By: hagar Re: Chalets at New Brighton - 20th Nov 2015 1:26am
How could they be damaged by the sea if the council approved the sea walls [in the picture] as they approved the sea wall in New Brighton?P.S.used to live there every summer 1965 to 1970.Water supply was outside but gas was plumbed into chalets.H&S gone mad.
Posted By: Martin1943 Re: Chalets at New Brighton - 3rd Dec 2015 3:59pm
We used to use one in the mid '50s. A bit primitive and very small. Sitting outside was essential so I never could see the value of them. Luckily at wasn't ours so we only went a few times.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral