Forums
Posted By: leliann Howe street Birkenhead - 9th Sep 2015 8:03pm
Hi would anybody have any old pics/photos of Howe Street in Birkenhead? I think it was in the area where the pyramids now stands.
Thanks
Posted By: Norton Re: Howe street Birkenhead - 9th Sep 2015 9:52pm
Not quite the Pyramids, more like where Owen Owen or WH Smiths shops are now.

Howe St was just a short street of terraced that ran parallel with Grange Road and Borough Road, between Collingwood St and Nelson St., both of which ran between Borough and Grange Rd. It was demolished in about 1967, shortly before the tunnel flyover was opened.

I do have a photo after demolition, just rubble and a gas lamp still standing.

Perhaps the attached map and street directory will help.

Attached picture Howe St 1911.jpg
Attached picture Howe St Map 1911.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Howe street Birkenhead - 9th Sep 2015 10:14pm
Howe St 1963, I'm fairly sure this is Birkenhead as it is supposed to be Liverpool or Birkenhead and the Liverpool Howe St had arched doorways.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Norton Re: Howe street Birkenhead - 10th Sep 2015 1:16am
If that's true, then we have another puzzle.

On the OS map and confirmed by the street directory, there were six houses on the north side, No's 2-12 and five on the south, No's 1-9. The street also sloped down towards central station.

I've counted at least ten front doors in that picture, with another two houses in the terrace off to the right. The land also rises to the right, which would make this the south side, which only had five houses.

Between each of the front doors is the mains feed cable which runs on the outside of the building. Each house has a gas pipe going to it. Therefore, it can't be a front door with a door to the side passage next to it.

Can you make out the house number on the door in the original picture?

In the picture I've attached, even the base of the gas lamp is different. The post at the other end of the street was to hold a one-way sign

Attached picture Howe St gone.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Howe street Birkenhead - 10th Sep 2015 7:34am
DD's picture is certainly Liverpool, not Birkenhead. The precise design of the lanterns on top of the gas lamp column were only used in L'pool. Birkenhead used mostly Sugg or Pullen(?) types.
The actual column design is L'pool too. The Horstmann clockwork timeswitch in the lantern was the only thing common to both sides of the river.

Nerdy Interests No.23b.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Howe street Birkenhead - 10th Sep 2015 9:44am
I think there's a street party in Howe st B'head pic on wikiwirral that may help

thanks bert1

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49271149@N08/4511505719/in/photostream/
Posted By: bert1 Re: Howe street Birkenhead - 10th Sep 2015 9:48am
Here Derek

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49271149@N08/4511505719/in/photostream/

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...bhead-1950s-anyone-recognise-anyone.html
Posted By: chriskay Re: Howe street Birkenhead - 10th Sep 2015 10:24am
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
DD's picture is certainly Liverpool, not Birkenhead. The precise design of the lanterns on top of the gas lamp column were only used in L'pool. Birkenhead used mostly Sugg or Pullen(?) types.
The actual column design is L'pool too. The Horstmann clockwork timeswitch in the lantern was the only thing common to both sides of the river.

Nerdy Interests No.23b.

Just proves how 5 star nerdiness can deliver useful information.
Well done. sherlock
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Howe street Birkenhead - 10th Sep 2015 5:37pm
I'll accept a fail on that one, I was slightly suspicious hence why I gave the spiel.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral