Forums
Hello,

I am interested to find out any information about the stone quarrys around the Holt Hill / Queen Street area of Tranmere. In the mid 1800's the largest quarry in that area was known as Taylor's Delph, now known as the Holborn Square industrial estate.

The quarry was run by the Taylor family for over three generations, and at some point in the late 1800's there where around 15 houses built on 'the Delph' as it was known locally. I wonder if anyone knows what happened to the houses?, if they where damaged during the wars? or maybe someone had family who lived there?.

In 1891 the quarry was owned by James Taylor, aged 70, who was born in Yorkshire but moved to Tranmere with his family as a young man. He was my 4th great grandfather and had a large family. James lived at Mine Cottage, and it is likely that the cottage was built by the family. The cottage stood by the quarry walls opposite the top of Green Lane, and was hidden away for many years until around 2010 when the building in front of it was demolished, revealing the cottage behind it. Unfortunately a short time after that the cottage was also demolished, to make way for new building i think?.

The quarry has been referred to as 'the heart of Tranmere' and the family where well known locally, so it seems a shame now that Taylor's Delph seems to have been brushed under the carpet in way.., now called Holborn square, with little to no trace of what was once a thriving community.

Does anyone have any information??

Thanks smile

Here's a pic from 1941

Attached picture holt_hill.jpg
And some pre demo pics by our kimpri

Attached picture P2200001.jpg
Attached picture P2200003.jpg
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Taylor's Delph and Mine Cottage, Tranmere - 2nd Jun 2015 9:26am
Very sad tale indeed.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Taylor's Delph and Mine Cottage, Tranmere - 2nd Jun 2015 11:36am
Welcome to wiki, Tranmere Taylor.
Here's the Ordnance Survey map of 1912 which shows cottages on Holborn Square.

Attached picture Clip.jpg
My nan&grandad lived down the delph
Apologies for the late reply, thanks very much for the pictures it is much appreciated!
New to this.. how do i upload pictures onto the site? thanks
Posted By: Giggler Re: Taylor's Delph and Mine Cottage, Tranmere - 29th Aug 2015 1:48pm
Hi. Welcome to WikiWirral. This should help.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/205249#Post205249
© Wirral-Wikiwirral