Forums
Posted By: rossie St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 26th May 2015 5:24pm
An old friend (aged 88 years) is interested in this church. Does anybody know anything about it.Where was it situated and when was it demolished.
Did it have a grave yard if so what happened to bodies when church was demolished.
I would appreciate any info re this church to pass on to my friend.
many thanks
Posted By: patsylodo Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 26th May 2015 6:00pm
hi ive never hear of one in conway st there was a church ..were thomson's mission an st andrews square its more a car wagon loading bay now
Posted By: yoller Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 26th May 2015 6:14pm
The old Scottish Presbyterian church was on Conway Street just down from the junction with Hemingford Street. St Andrew's Square flats were alongside. The graveyard was there certainly until the mid-1970s, but I'm not sure if the church had been demolished earlier. I'm sure Wikiwirral members will come up with plenty of information about it.
Posted By: bert1 Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 26th May 2015 6:16pm

Attached picture st and.JPG
Attached picture 1916.JPG
Posted By: rossie Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 26th May 2015 6:25pm
Thanks everybody.
Bert1 that is marvelous thanks so much.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 26th May 2015 6:44pm
On a 1950s map and after demolishment before bus station built

Attached picture church.JPG

Description: 1950s map
Attached picture church2.jpg
Attached picture car_park.jpg
Posted By: yoller Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 26th May 2015 7:15pm
This photo was taken in 1967 during demolition to make way for the Conway Street flyover. The Saint Andrews Church graveyard is out of shot, but it was over the road towards the extreme bottom right of the picture.

Attached picture andrew.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 26th May 2015 8:24pm
St Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Scottish)

Built in 1839, opened in 1840, demolished in 1967, had an attached school which closed in 1936.

Building of stone in the Gothic style, with an embattled nave and two pinnacles over the doorway

It isn't recoded as having a graveyard but a number of people have disputed this and I came across a statement that "a small portion of the ground attached was formerly used as a burying ground"
Posted By: rossie Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 26th May 2015 8:27pm
Thank you great help.It is wonderful to have all this info to tell my friend about. He will be so pleased.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 26th May 2015 8:41pm
Forgot to include that it sat 800 people.
Posted By: bert1 Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 26th May 2015 8:56pm
In 1862 because of the size of the congregation, the chapel was closed for a short period of time while side galleries were added.

I'm sure as a small child I remember headstones at that church, Wirral Archives or the National Archives will most certainly have records of burials there.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2602681
Just a thought - you can see it in this picture on the 'Britain from Above' website - Clicky
If you register, you can then zoom in and see the church quite clearly (it's just to left of centre).
Posted By: marty99fred Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 27th May 2015 12:25pm
The large scale 1875 OS plan clearly shows the area that was designated as the graveyard.

Attached picture St Andrews.jpg
Posted By: davew3 Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 27th May 2015 1:46pm
The churchyard looks built on, when was the church built I thought after 1843 all burials went to the municipal cemetery apart from some church burials.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 27th May 2015 4:50pm
Municipal Cemeteries were cheaper and graveyards invariably had restrictions on who could be buried.

Some graves from graveyards were moved to vacate land.

In England, graveyard usually means a burial ground attached to a church whereas a cemetery isn't.

I'm wondering if this graveyard belonged to St Andrew's and whether it might have existed before the church. It seems unusually detached on the map and the word's "burial ground" elsewhere instead of graveyard makes me wonder.
Posted By: rossie Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 27th May 2015 8:02pm
It is wonderful to have all this info.
Thanks everybody.
Posted By: rossie Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 28th May 2015 7:19pm
Thanks all. I appreciate your input and have found it most interesting.
many thanks
Posted By: chris58 Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 30th May 2015 6:43pm
I wonder if there are burial records for st andrews at the archives. Tracing famiky burials my sister and i have come up against brick walls! Family were living round that area
Posted By: bert1 Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 30th May 2015 6:54pm
Originally Posted by chris58
I wonder if there are burial records for st andrews at the archives. Tracing famiky burials my sister and i have come up against brick walls! Family were living round that area

National Archives, see link I posted earlier.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 30th May 2015 6:55pm
At least some of the records for the church went missing, I don't know if they were found again.
Posted By: bert1 Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 26th Nov 2023 11:05am
In the past there has always been disagreement on various threads whether this church had a burial ground or graveyard and what happened to the bodies if it did, for future reference.

Attached picture Screenshot 2023-11-26 105816.png
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 27th Nov 2023 12:58pm
Unfortunately NC6 isn't on the Landican maps only NC1, NC2, NC3 and NC8.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 27th Nov 2023 1:12pm
Unfortunately NC6 isn't on the Landican maps only NC1, NC2, NC3 and NC8.
Posted By: bert1 Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 28th Nov 2023 3:30pm
Some were cremated, not sure how that decision was made.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 28th Nov 2023 3:52pm
Landican aren't aware of a NC6 section but are guessing St Andrew's in the St Mary's section, I had a look, there could be distinct sections to the left or right of St Mary's but I didn't see any corresponding names from a quick look-around.

Landican are intrigued and are looking into it further and will get back to me.

I was hoping to find some aerial photo's that may show the St Mary's section before 1967 to show its initial size but no luck so far.
Posted By: bert1 Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 28th Nov 2023 6:01pm
A snippet from the 1941 non-conformist section, Landican cemetery.
Section 6 and number. Interesting they are all seamen, will look into it more.

Attached picture Screenshot 2023-11-28 175331.png
Posted By: bert1 Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 28th Nov 2023 6:08pm
https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/f...th=&Honours=null&AdditionalInfo=

Also found a few soldiers, could be a services burial area?
Posted By: bert1 Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 28th Nov 2023 6:17pm
https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/f...th=&Honours=null&AdditionalInfo=
Posted By: bert1 Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 28th Nov 2023 6:29pm
Services section,

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/search-results/?CemeteryExact=true&Cemetery=BIRKENHEAD+(LANDICAN)+CEMETERY&Page=1
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 30th Nov 2023 4:20am
The only service section I'm aware off is the Commonwealth Graves section which is quite small. I'm wondering if NC6 was mass graves, a few of the War Graves Commission NC6 entries have the abbreviation "Coll" which could be "collective"? If so I suspect NC6 is part of what is now NC8 (which contains the Commonwealth Graves).

It is weird that there is a NC8 but no NC4 thru NC7, you would expect it to be common knowledge within Landican how that has come about.
Posted By: bert1 Re: St Andrews Church Conway St Birkenhead - 30th Nov 2023 5:36am
Very likely DD, if you look at the burial snippet above, J5 and K4 have multiple occupancy. They will have CWGA headstones side by side. Find the gentleman below and that is NC 6.

Attached picture Screenshot 2023-11-30 052013.png
© Wirral-Wikiwirral