Forums
Posted By: Snodvan Bidston Hill - 14th May 2015 8:17am
Do we have or can anyone provide a map/ sketch of the relative locations of the "history" landmarks on Bidston Hill. I am thinking of the carvings, the "cockpit", the capped vent of the tunnels. I tramped around yesterday and all I could find were a few of the old signal flag post holes.

A map/ sketch of these items relative to obvious landmarks like the buidings would save my arthritic old hip from some more wear and tear

Thanks, Snod
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Bidston Hill - 14th May 2015 9:25am
http://www.bidstonhill.org.uk/heritage/map/

http://www.allertonoak.com/merseyWalks/BidstonHill.html

And a map of the tunnels:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Bidston Hill - 14th May 2015 9:44am
Gibbo, many thanks
Snod
Posted By: Mark Re: Bidston Hill - 14th May 2015 3:36pm
Bidston Aerodrome
Bidston HAA Gunsite
Bidston Hall
Bidston Hall Tunnel ?
Bidston Hill
Bidston Hill Carvings
Bidston hill club house
Bidston Hill Underground Tunnels Part 1
Bidston Lighthouse For Sale! ------- £150,000
Bidston observatory
Bidston Tunnels Part 2
Bidston Tunnels soon to be reopened???
Bidston's two airshafts
Bidton Station 1920

All from the Index Page in the history section. Click Me

Posted By: Snodvan Re: Bidston Hill - 14th May 2015 4:12pm
THAT should keep me busy!!

Thanks Mark
Posted By: linuxfanatik Re: Bidston Hill - 15th May 2015 8:36pm
Just past the Observatory on Bidston Hill coming from the side that leads to the entrance to the Observatory, following the wall facing Bidston Windmill, you will see a path leading to a stepped area (down about four feet). Immediately on the wall left and right of this stepped area are the carvings. To the left (looking towards Seaforth), if you look carefully about twenty - sixty feet past where this stepped area is you will see a concreted area around which is sandstone. This is (or was) the entrance to the tunnels. You might need a pneumatic drill to break through to the tunnels beneath...! wink There is another entrance down the hill on the Wooded area (facing Birkenhead) where there is a bricked-up natural looking opening into the tunnels Best of luck! linuxfanatik
© Wirral-Wikiwirral