Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Bus Time Clocks. - 17th Mar 2015 11:13am
Before de-regulation of the buses, B'head Transport had "clocking in" type time clocks in various locations. The conductor would insert his Waybill into said clock to prove to Blakey etc. that the bus was running to time.

A long shot here but... has anyone got a picture of one of these clocks. One I remember was located under the railway bridge on Woodchurch Road (outbound). Painted Corpy blue, they were in a wooden box strapped to an old cut-down lamp post base. I "think" the clocks were made by IBM.

Thanks.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Bus Time Clocks. - 17th Mar 2015 12:07pm
I don't know if i'm remembering correctly but I had an old relative who was a clippie from the mid 40's till the 60's, a long time indeed. He told me, as far as I remember, that it was called 'pegging the clock' and I believe he called it a Bundy Clock. It may or may not be the same thing made by someone else, just thought it worth mentioning.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Bus Time Clocks. - 17th Mar 2015 1:12pm
I've seen them featured in the On The Buses movies.
Posted By: granny Re: Bus Time Clocks. - 17th Mar 2015 1:57pm
Birmingham. Is this what you mean ?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...mp;q=birkenhead+bundy+clock&imgdii=_

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bus Time Clocks. - 17th Mar 2015 2:10pm
Thanks folks. Yes, the Bundy clock was the traditional tram/bus machine as shown in Granny's pic. The name Bundy was later used for similar makes of tram/bus clocking in clocks. A bit like all vacuum cleaners are called Hoover's etc.

Quite right GeeMeister "Pegging the clock" was the phrase often used.

The Birkenhead ones I mentioned in my post, dated from the early 1970's (ish). I suspect it was a commercially available model for factories and offices etc. encased in a sturdy wood box affair, no doubt made by the carpenters at Laird Street.
Posted By: Rambo Re: Bus Time Clocks. - 17th Mar 2015 7:48pm
Now we've got GPS and a fine if you're more than 1 minute early or 5 minutes late!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Bus Time Clocks. - 18th Mar 2015 1:49pm
When I was on the buses our "Blakey" was called Oscar. What a pain in the arris. The clocks I remember were one at Bromborough just as you turn right off New Chester Road and another one up past Moreton Cross. That was the early 70's. I can't actually recall using them at all but you can't read much into that because my memory has gone walkabout anyway.
Posted By: Santos Re: Bus Time Clocks. - 18th Mar 2015 4:34pm
[Linked Image]

Wallasey ones were green - Birkenhead ones blue
Posted By: Hoofhearted Re: Bus Time Clocks. - 19th Mar 2015 9:18am
His name was Hosker, Roy Hosker.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Bus Time Clocks. - 19th Mar 2015 2:19pm
Never got that friendly with him to worry about what his name was. He was called a few others anyway.
Posted By: tankrat22 Re: Bus Time Clocks. - 19th Mar 2015 4:47pm
"I'll 'ave you Butler".
Posted By: Hoofhearted Re: Bus Time Clocks. - 20th Mar 2015 8:58am
I bet HE got your name right on the 168 report.
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Never got that friendly with him to worry about what his name was. He was called a few others anyway.
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: Bus Time Clocks. - 20th Mar 2015 9:47pm
They had a green one (looked similar to the London Underground one above) at Moreton Cross and Moreton shore.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral