Forums
Posted By: Reno37 Birkenhead Haymarket Tunnels - 27th Jan 2015 1:56pm
Hi!

All you knowledgeable people out there, I have been researching and found loads of photos relating to the old Birkenhead Town Railway Station and the Haymarket Tunnels on what I am told formed part of the old Birkenhead Dock line . Does anyone know if tours are available of the line, tunnels etc, as I would love to visit the area to further my knowledge. Or does anyone know whom I would contact to ask permission to visit the tunnels.

Many Thanks. Tony
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Birkenhead Haymarket Tunnels - 27th Jan 2015 2:44pm
Not heard of a tour except a wikiwirral UE

CLICK

Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Birkenhead Haymarket Tunnels - 27th Jan 2015 6:13pm
Originally Posted by Reno37
Hi!

All you knowledgeable people out there, I have been researching and found loads of photos relating to the old Birkenhead Town Railway Station and the Haymarket Tunnels on what I am told formed part of the old Birkenhead Dock line . Does anyone know if tours are available of the line, tunnels etc, as I would love to visit the area to further my knowledge. Or does anyone know whom I would contact to ask permission to visit the tunnels.

Many Thanks. Tony
I can do you a tour if you want one mate grin
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Birkenhead Haymarket Tunnels - 27th Jan 2015 6:37pm
If we told you we would have to kill you. Seriously though you can walk up to the gated entrances and have a look in but i think they are far more secure than they used to be. The woodside bus depot end is all sealed in concrete so nothing to see at that end. The waterloo is a good mooch though.
Posted By: Medicdeano Re: Birkenhead Haymarket Tunnels - 31st Jan 2015 4:14pm
HI Tony!Someone in work was asking me about Birkenhead Town station the other day, and i said I swore I had some colour shots taken in the 1960's , before the line was lifted, but I could'nt find them! do you know if there are any on here?any info, gratefully received.

Thanks, Dean
Posted By: Raven61 Re: Birkenhead Haymarket Tunnels - 31st Jan 2015 9:42pm
Have you seen this site.
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/birkenhead_town/index.shtml
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Birkenhead Haymarket Tunnels - 2nd Feb 2015 7:47am
Dean - there's a couple of colour ones of Town here on Wiki: Clicky
...might be the ones you're thinking of?

Any shots of Town station are very rare, and I haven't seen any colour ones apart from these. Fascinating Station - I must have passed the remains travelling out of Woodside many times as a lad, but I have no recollection of seeing it at all.
Posted By: CureForPain Re: Birkenhead Haymarket Tunnels - 7th Feb 2015 6:12pm
Really sad that there's so little evidence of the station itself. Don't go wandering round the site alone - there's a ton of used needles and other smackhead paraphenalia, it's a bit of a chav hangout.

I've got a couple of photos up, if they're any use!

Haymarket Tunnel

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Monks Tunnel:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

PS: If you're interested in an, ahem, 'unguided tour'...I think the Dock Branch is still technically under possession of Network Rail, meaning trespass is a criminal offence rather than civil. I very much doubt it'd ever be an issue, but worth mentioning all the same! It's not as though they could actually run a train along it...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral