Forums
Posted By: chris7777 Accident Liverpool 1941...help please!.. - 4th Jul 2014 5:01pm
I have a death certificate for a family member who was killed in an accident on the road by the docks Liverpool, he was from Pitt st Birkenhead and is buried in bebington cemetery , that is what I have found out so far, what I want to find now is wether it was in the news paper? I have looked at the Birkenhead news of 1941 in Birkenhead reference library, but couldn't find anything, would it of been in the news paper on this side of the river or Liverpool or both??
there was a inquest into the death, were would I find a copy of that.
Thanks..........
Posted By: granny Re: Accident Liverpool 1941...help please!.. - 4th Jul 2014 5:47pm
Small possibility here:

http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/index.html

Also try Liverpool Daily Post

Liverpool Mercury,although not sure when it finished printing.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
Posted By: bert1 Re: Accident Liverpool 1941...help please!.. - 4th Jul 2014 6:38pm
Hello Chris,

You will get help here,http://liverpool.gov.uk/libraries/archives-family-history/ always check with them first and ask about coroners records and local papers, dates they hold etc.
You may have to tell them when you intend on going so they can find the records you require, Also I think they have a help desk on Tuesday afternoons for Family History.

Edit
The Records office have the help desk Tuesday afternoons
Posted By: davew3 Re: Accident Liverpool 1941...help please!.. - 4th Jul 2014 6:55pm
A couple were killed in their car on the dock road when the Malakand blew up, but I don't have times or what war year it happened, all my books have been put away.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Accident Liverpool 1941...help please!.. - 4th Jul 2014 7:11pm
Bert and granny.......thanks for your replys .....
Granny had a look on there but didn't find anything.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Accident Liverpool 1941...help please!.. - 4th Jul 2014 7:16pm
Chris,

the Liverpool records office hold the Echo for the 1941 period, you won't find that year online.

The coroners office records are also likely to be available at the records office for that year, check first.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Accident Liverpool 1941...help please!.. - 4th Jul 2014 7:19pm
Originally Posted by davew3
A couple were killed in their car on the dock road when the Malakand blew up, but I don't have times or what war year it happened, all my books have been put away.

Thanks Dave, my rellie was a boy of 14
Cause of death:
Shock following multiple injuries accidently caused by being run over by a super imposed
motor lorry on the 9th instant whilst stealing a ride.(as on death certificate)
Posted By: chriskay Re: Accident Liverpool 1941...help please!.. - 4th Jul 2014 9:24pm
An interesting description: "a super imposed
motor lorry". Is that just an odd way of saying it was on top of him?
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Accident Liverpool 1941...help please!.. - 4th Jul 2014 9:43pm
and here...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=458648.0
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Accident Liverpool 1941...help please!.. - 4th Jul 2014 9:54pm
"The winch and bolster are easily detachable, leaving a flat platform lorry to carry stay blocks and ironwork for poles. Also a living van 17 ft. long and 6 ft. 6 ins. wide (weight empty 8 cwt. on front bolster and 20 cwt. on rubber-tyred rear wheels) can be super-imposed on the lorry to permit removal from place to place as needed."

Taken from this site, about half way down
http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/5th-may-1931/48/opinions-and-queries
Posted By: yoller Re: Accident Liverpool 1941...help please!.. - 4th Jul 2014 11:55pm
Such a tragic death of a 14-year-old boy would normally have been reported in the local paper - probably the Echo. However, because of wartime newsprint restrictions, papers at that time were much smaller than usual and there simply may not have been space for the story. But there would have been an inquest and the coroner's office records, if available, will be your best bet for more information.
Posted By: Wally1 Re: Accident Liverpool 1941...help please!.. - 5th Jul 2014 12:17am
My wife's great grandmother died young in a City
centre office building in the 1900's. This seemed
unusual and also her daughter used to tell my wife
a story about her death which was a bit far fetched.

So we checked it out in Liverpool City Library where
the staff were very helpful. We found a report in
the Liverpool Mercury and also the inquest report.

Tragically, she had her head severed by a descending lift
when she was cleaning near the lift shaft.

So I would expect a search of the Daily Post/Echo
and the Birkenhead News for the period just after
the death to give you what you need.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Accident Liverpool 1941...help please!.. - 5th Jul 2014 9:55am
Thanks for all your replys I will have to go over to Liverpool one day and do some research in the library over there.
Posted By: EvilCycle Re: Accident Liverpool 1941...help please!.. - 5th Jul 2014 5:34pm
During office hours you can contact the Liverpool coroner's office on 0151 225 5770. They may not still hold records there but they should have the reference numbers to obtain them via the archives/records management department, as if I recall correctly, records of this type usually have a retention period of 100 years.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Accident Liverpool 1941...help please!.. - 11th Jul 2014 5:35pm
Been to archives in Liverpool today, looked through the Liverpool daily post and the Liverpool echo and found nothing of the accident,
What I did find was on the inquest register, it said just the same as the death certificate but at the end of it ,it had in ( ) new quay?
Now on the death cert it says he died in the royal infirmary, and he was living in Pitt St rock ferry and he was a barge boy. Now I am puzzled.........why did it say new quay, were there any docks called new quay at the time?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Accident Liverpool 1941...help please!.. - 11th Jul 2014 5:59pm
Chris,
Its was/is a road by St Nicholas Church, see map, about 1900. Probably where the accident occurred.

Attached picture new quay.JPG
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Accident Liverpool 1941...help please!.. - 11th Jul 2014 9:33pm
Originally Posted by bert1
Chris,
Its was/is a road by St Nicholas Church, see map, about 1900. Probably where the accident occurred.

Bert many thanks for that, think that solves it......were it happened at least, wish I could of found a newspaper article about it!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral