Forums
Posted By: ljwood Cinema in Seacombe - 10th Jun 2014 9:56pm
Does anybody remember the name of the cinema that was in Seacombe in the 90's before it was closed??
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Cinema in Seacombe - 10th Jun 2014 10:02pm
This One?.
The Marina Super Cinema was situated on Brighton Street and opened by the Mayor of Wallasey Alderman Sidney S. Pawson, on 15th July 1916.

Attached picture Marina_1916.jpg
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Cinema in Seacombe - 10th Jun 2014 10:04pm
Or more this one..
Irving Theatre/ Embassy Club
Situated in Victoria Road (later to become Borough Road in 1914) stands a typical ornate Edwardian building - the Irving Theatre. It was built on a site previously occupied by Hope House and its gardens, for Mr. James Kiernan who had a growing empire of theatres. On 11th October 1899 the distinguished actor Sir Henry Irving laid the cornerstone of the building and agreed for his name to be associated with the building for as long as it was used for serious theatre. The grand opening took place on Monday, 18th December 1899 with a performance of 'The Sign Of The Cross' by a cast of over sixty performers. Mr J.H. French became the manager of the theatre.

Attached picture Irving_Theatre_1906.jpg
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Cinema in Seacombe - 10th Jun 2014 10:08pm
Have a look here..
http://www.historyofwallasey.co.uk/wallasey/Wallasey_Cinemas_Part_2/index.html
Posted By: hoochtaz Re: Cinema in Seacombe - 10th Jun 2014 10:18pm
Hi,I,m pretty sure the one you mean was called Unit 4,then later on it was changed to Apollo 6.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Cinema in Seacombe - 10th Jun 2014 10:30pm
Apollo 6 was in Egremont not Seacombe.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Cinema in Seacombe - 11th Jun 2014 6:44am
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
Apollo 6 was in Egremont not Seacombe.

Zipper it looks like the original poster is from Birkenhead so may not know where Seacombe ends and Egremont starts. As the apollo was our last one to close I can only think it was that one.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Cinema in Seacombe - 11th Jun 2014 7:15am
I was gonna say the apollo. Went to the last ever screening there with school. Can't even remember what we saw....
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Cinema in Seacombe - 11th Jun 2014 1:18pm
ahh the good old unit 4, last film i watched there was dangerous minds.

lost the keys to the car and had to hotwire it to get home.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Cinema in Seacombe - 11th Jun 2014 10:54pm
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/8133

The Gaumont/Unit 4/ Apollo 6

Attached picture aa.jpg
Attached picture aaa.jpg
Posted By: Habdab Re: Cinema in Seacombe - 12th Jun 2014 11:53am
There was the Royal in King Street opposite the garage.The Old Court Cinema on Liscard Road near Clarendon Road /Liscard Road Junction. The Irving Theatre in Borough road which became La Scala then the Embassy Luxury Theatre. There was Vienna Hall on the corner of Brighton street and Vienna street, the Marina in Brighton Street, the Queens in Poulton road That eventually became a supermarket.

Hope that helps you smile
Posted By: Helles Re: Cinema in Seacombe - 12th Jun 2014 12:31pm
Originally Posted by Habdab
There was the Royal in King Street opposite the garage.The Old Court Cinema on Liscard Road near Clarendon Road /Liscard Road Junction. The Irving Theatre in Borough road which became La Scala then the Embassy Luxury Theatre. There was Vienna Hall on the corner of Brighton street and Vienna street, the Marina in Brighton Street, the Queens in Poulton road That eventually became a supermarket.

Court was in Victoria road New Brighton.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Cinema in Seacombe - 12th Jun 2014 12:37pm
The Pheonix in Wallasey village, know locally as the flea pit smile
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Cinema in Seacombe - 12th Jun 2014 1:40pm
Originally Posted by Habdab

and if you bother to read/check my previous post and follow the link it even has pretty pictures of them all.
http://www.historyofwallasey.co.uk/wallasey/Wallasey_Cinemas_Part_2/index.html
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Cinema in Seacombe - 12th Jun 2014 7:30pm
Just read this link with interest.. i always have gone to the pictures and the matinees as a child , toke all 4 children and grandchild as well , normally go every friday after work .. < when there is something on to my taste >
Posted By: lasherlal Re: Cinema in Seacombe - 13th Jun 2014 6:21am
unit four
© Wirral-Wikiwirral