Forums
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a photo of the side of the Black Horse Hotel/Pub at Heswall, Wirral CH60 0DP?

We want to know exactly where this photo was taken at the side of the Black Horse Hotel back in 1944?

www.historicaviationmilitary.com/jimmypub1.jpg

We want to know where it was taken and what it looks like now

Regards

Gary & Malc
Use google maps to see a more modern picture of the pub.
Any one have a pic of the Maternity Hospital on Oakdale Rd Heswall circa 1966. My first son was born there.
The brick work does not match up for it to be the one in Heswall or The Black Horse In West Kirby.
Was this the hospital?

Attached picture aa.jpg
Attached picture aaa.jpg
.??

Attached picture aa.jpg
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
Was this the hospital?

No...was a lot smaller.
or?

Attached picture aa.jpg
Attached picture aa.jpg
I found this video with various hospitals listed on it, glad I wasn't around then. X-rays, no protection.. ether...
Ummm I forgot to put up the link..
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/childrens-hospital-in-liverpool
Hi Zipperclub,

We definitely know that it is the pub in Heswall.

Because, we also have the guy in the photo at the front of it and virtually nothing has changed, but it is different at the side.

We have tried looking on google earth on the street maps at the side and it looks similar but different.

There must have been some changes and that is what we are trying to find out?

We contacted the pub and showed them our photos and they loved them but we asked them if they had any side shot photos a few times and we haven't heard from them since.

Thanks.

Gary & Malc
http://www.HistoricAviationMilitary.com
Hi,

I'm not sure if you are aware, it was at one time called the Heswall Hotel and returned to being called the Black Horse in 1940.

The pic below is not very good, above the chaps head on the left could be the pillars your chap in uniform is standing by, clutching at straws perhaps.

Attached picture heswall hotel.JPG
Originally Posted by ZipperClub

This wasn't the maternity hospital Zipper.
Bert, your picture of the Black Horse is the one in Lower Heswall village, opposite the church of St.Peter's. Always a Church and a pub close by.
The original picture gazandmalc has shown doesn't look like the same one. The entrance is hugely different and looks as if the hotel would be raised up from the entrance. The one you and Zipper show (which is the same one) is not on raised ground at the entrance, it's on the road.

Granny,

it is a very much clutching at straws exercise, Gazandmalc the poster has stressed it is the Heswall, Black Horse. The gentleman in uniform would not be standing in the area marked red, (pic below) he would be standing in the green area, should it be correct.

Attached picture heswall hotel.JPG
Originally Posted by snowshoes
Any one have a pic of the Maternity Hospital on Oakdale Rd Heswall circa 1966. My first son was born there.

Oakdale or Oldfield Road, Heswall? Clever was in Oakdale and this might be of interest. I haven't read it all .

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1ndm1/HeswallMagazineApril/resources/24.htm

Originally Posted by bert1
Granny,

it is a very much clutching at straws exercise, Gazandmalc the poster has stressed it is the Heswall, Black Horse. The gentleman in uniform would not be standing in the area marked red, (pic below) he would be standing in the green area, should it be correct.

Could well be then, I suppose. The road at the side seems to be on an incline , therefore the entrance could have been up a level or two. I will have a gander tomorrow or Wednesday when I go that way. No doubt, that your pub and Zipper's pub are the same one in Lower Heswall. Maybe we can pick up something on google maps ?

I have managed to pick it up on google earth, putting St.Peter's Church Heswall in. Yes ,had a good scout around, and looks as if the entrance could have been there. It won't let me copy and paste.
Pictures of how Black Horse, Lower Heswall is now.

http://www.heswall.com/photo-gallery/

[Linked Image]
I'd suspect the picture is taken up the hill to the left hand side of the hotel, with the hand on the sign pointing back down the hill to the front entrance, round about where the lamppost is on this...
[Linked Image]
The round-topped sandstone wall at the top of the original picture seems to correspond well with the one here,
[Linked Image]
although the roadside wall is obviously different, and the gateway to the rear entrance is in the correct location, too.

Eta
Argghhh - images not working! Will try and sort it and repost
Trying again, looking up the hill...

[Linked Image]

Closer view
[Linked Image]
Hi all,

We have another photo of the military gentleman (Jimmy England from the USA) and he is at the front of the hotel/pub.

We will put it on as soon as we can and you can see the pub entrance is the same except for the outdoor (door) is now a window.

There are 3 posts at the front and in the old photo of the front the 3 posts are still there.

The green area that Bert1 is referring to is where we too think the photo was taken.

We also have another photo of the military gentleman in the church yard across the road.

We will also put that on as soon as possible too.

Thanks everyone.

Regards

Gary & Malc
Yes this is the Black Horse in Heswall, I remember the entrance being like that in the early 1970s when I was at primary school up the road. This entrance was on the main road side and the pavement was quite narrow. Behind the pub was a big house which got knocked down and the Hermitage flats built in it's place. God I feel old!!
Thank you to everyone that has commented and helped to find if the photo we showed was definitely the side entrance of the black horse in at Heswall.

We too think that what is shown on the photo is the side entrance as pointed out by many of you.

We have put the photo on our website along with another few photos of the front of the pub & in the church yard (at Heswall) with the same USA gentleman that was stationed at the USAAF Burtonwood airfield.

Here is the link with the other photos on it:

http://historicaviationmilitary.com/jimmy.html

Without all of your help we would not have been able to find out if this was the correct location.

Regards

Gary & Malc
© Wirral-Wikiwirral