Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Woodside the earliest date it was used query - 4th Jun 2014 11:15am
What has been the earliest date you have seen Woodside called that?

I think originally it came from being to the side of Birket Wood
RE attachments from Cheshire Sheaf, I'm just wondering if the inn mentioned could have been an earlier version of the Woodside Hotel or a Ferry Inn

Attached picture bhead innkeeper.jpg
Attached picture birket woodside.jpg
Posted By: granny Re: Woodside the earliest date it was used query - 4th Jun 2014 4:21pm
Would the ' inn' not have been part of the Priory, which had been dissolved around 1536. Weren't they a hostelry too?
Ralph Wolsey leased it with immediate effect.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=39974
(paragraph 8 )
The priory was included in the list of monasteries worth less than £200 a year and was liable for dissolution under the terms of the Act of 1536. (fn. 62) It was probably dissolved in May or June 1536 as the prior was awarded an annual pension of £12 at the beginning of July; no deed of surrender or inventory has survived. (fn. 63) In the following year the former prior and four monks were dispensed to hold benefices with a complete change of habit. (fn. 64) The site of the priory was leased immediately to Ralph Worsley, a member of the royal household, (fn. 65) and in 1545 Worsley purchased the site and most of the priory's lands in Cheshire for £568 11s. 6d. The site included the buildings within the precincts, a mill, a flax field, fishyards and the ferry, ferryhouse and boat. (fn. 66) The priory buildings were allowed to fall into ruin after the dissolution, apart from the chapter house which was retained in use, first as a domestic chapel and later as a chapel for the extra-parochial district of Birkenhead until the new church of St. Mary was built on the site of the priory graveyard after 1819. (fn. 67) The ruins were purchased by public appeal in 1896 and their care entrusted to the corporation of Birkenhead; in 1913 a faculty was obtained to renovate the chapter house and it was dedicated for use as a chapel in 1919. (fn. 68)
Posted By: granny Re: Woodside the earliest date it was used query - 7th Jun 2014 10:37am
Slightly off topic, but having seen on the link I posted that the Prior was given a pension of £12 per year a little bit of searching brought this to the fore. This from 2008 ,so may have changed slightly.

PhD Historian said...
I looked at the Measuring Worth site recommended by BeardedLady. It is indeed complicated, using two very different methods to calculate two vastly different modern equivalents for one English pound.

According to the calculator, £1 in 1540 would purchase the same amount of goods and services that £406 would purchase today.

But because prices were far higher in 1540 when compared to average incomes (i.e., we get far more "bang for the buck" today), an earned wage of £1 would be the equivalent of making £4755 today........

Not bad eh?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral