Forums
Posted By: spanner1 Havelock gardens - 13th May 2014 8:15pm
Behind brassey street there used to be old victorian tenements called havelock gardens, dont suppose anyone has any photos or info?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Havelock gardens - 14th May 2014 9:32am
The 1881 census and the 1911 census summary book has no mention of Havelock Gardens, they have Havelock St and Back Havelock St, there's no sight of the gardens on the 1913 map below. Could they have been built later and not Victorian.

Attached picture havelock.JPG
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Havelock gardens - 14th May 2014 10:04am
No pics ,but on map click

Suggest you look on Britain from Above" and see if any more better aerial photos (circle the part you want), post them and I'll try to enlarge to make an enlarged clearer view
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Havelock gardens - 14th May 2014 10:36am
enlarged view (may be able to do bigger)

Attached picture Havelock.jpg
Posted By: spanner1 Re: Havelock gardens - 14th May 2014 9:31pm
thanks very much Bert and Derek, will have a chat with me older sisters and show them this,
but i remember growing up at the bottom of brassey st. in the late 50's and early 60's and stepping off brassey street into havelock gdns was, even to a nipper like me like stepping back in time, through an arch into what seemed like now something from charles dickens time.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Havelock gardens - 16th May 2014 7:54am
Sure you're not mixed up with Beaufort Square.
The Squares (Ilchester and St Andrews both had large archways into them,(I'm not sure of Beaufort)

Enlarged what I think is that area

Attached picture beaufort resized.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Havelock gardens - 16th May 2014 8:44am
Another aerial view 1946 click

Attached picture b2 resized.jpg
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Havelock gardens - 16th May 2014 12:16pm
The only Havelock Gardens that I know of were the post-war flats built on the former site of Havelock Street. See info under this thread.
Posted By: spanner1 Re: Havelock gardens - 17th May 2014 7:34pm
Derek sure it was havelock gdns not beaufort sq. we lived on the very bottom of brassey street, there was a corner shop and about 3 houses and if you walked halfway up brassey street towards laird street there was an off licence on the right hand side. it was behind this location that i vaguely remember havelock gdns. It just seemed really really old fashioned, thanks for the pics
Posted By: lord_thomas Re: Havelock gardens - 17th May 2014 8:40pm
"Havelock street" was where the off licence was it was owned by Mary O'Sullivan, the picture above looks like Beaufort Square, which was at the back of pattern street, also off Brassy Street, I think Havelock gardens may have replaced Havelock street, late 60's
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Havelock gardens - 18th May 2014 9:20am
Originally Posted by spanner1
Behind brassey street there used to be old victorian tenements called havelock gardens,

It appears they were built after 1945 and where Havelock St was. If they were flats I'd have thought they would look more modernish for that period.
Possibly what you may have seen were the old buildings in Havelock St just before demolishing and the building of havelock gardens.

Try click here for 1970s aerial view that may jog your memory. Put in a ch41 postcode to get map and move map to that area and magnify

Sorry, my previous posts were Beaufort Square.
This one may be the correct one

Attached picture Havelock enlarged.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Havelock gardens - 18th May 2014 9:47am
Havelock St on the 1913 map look like terraced houses, I would have expected them to be 2 up 2 down. A section on the 1911 census form requires the head of the household to fill in how many rooms, all the occupants of the street have filled the section, 2 rooms. Mr Kelly of number 14 has written his description which was not required, just a number would have done, by doing that, Mr Kelly has given an insight of what the properties consisted of.

Attached picture have1.JPG
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Havelock gardens - 18th May 2014 10:06am
Press ctrl key and + key to magnify an image

Press ctrl key and - key to make it a small image
Posted By: spanner1 Re: Havelock gardens - 20th May 2014 10:37pm
thanks very much fellas I realise now thanks to your info that despite being post war they were three floor balconied tenements, it was all so dirty then it just seemed old fashioned to a little kid, thanks again, your all amazing
© Wirral-Wikiwirral