Forums
Posted By: cheshirelassy Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 20th Feb 2014 10:33am
Hi, Can anyone help with a map of the situation of this street. It was listed in the census of 1851. Thanks
Posted By: bert1 Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 20th Feb 2014 11:57am
Rimmers Row is not likely to be a street or road, it doesn't show in the 1843 or 1861 street directories. It was enumerated near to the Claughton hotel which is in Upton Rd, Claughton, if anyone can look it up on a map, close by there was, Belle View, Manor View, Manor Cottage and Rimmers Cottage amongst others.
Posted By: dolly2350 Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 20th Feb 2014 2:53pm
Just walked past rimmers row its off Mona street at the back of claughton village shops
Posted By: bert1 Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 20th Feb 2014 3:09pm
1916 directory

Attached picture rimmers.JPG
Attached picture r2.JPG
Posted By: cheshirelassy Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 20th Feb 2014 3:29pm
Thanks for the replies, getting nearer to the exact location. Regards
Cheshirelassy
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 20th Feb 2014 3:47pm
So, is Rimmers Court the same as Rimmers Row?.

Attached picture rimmer.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 20th Feb 2014 5:06pm
No, I would think its a different place, Rimmers Row shows in the 1851 census and not in the 1861 directory, Mona St does not show in the 1861 directory, nor Rimmers Court. The 1851 census has Rimmers Row, Rimmers Cottage and Mona's Cottages, though on saying that,Its possible they were later grouped together and called Mona Street and Rimmers Row became the Court. Up to now I can't prove it.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 20th Feb 2014 5:20pm
I can recall talking to a coal man on the corner by the blue gates in the picture, about 37 years ago. We watched a gent open the garage doors to the middle garage and take quite a few goes to get the car out, made for horse and cart maybe and not cars?. There was also a lady in the yard who had a cottage to the left inside the gates. I think she had two windows boxes(at least one), with flowers in full bloom. Quite low as the windows where not very high. I`m not a 100% sure but the coal man mentioned it as a working yard, maybe coal or milk.
I wonder if there are any cars left in the garages?
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 20th Feb 2014 5:37pm
I just remembered, the cottage with the windows boxes was later turned into an office for Halligans, maintenance ltd, builders. They are now in Old Bidston Road, just off Duke Street.

Attached picture Untitled.jpg
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 20th Feb 2014 6:03pm
Opps, they went bust.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 20th Feb 2014 6:16pm
Bit more about the court, but no mention of the Row
http://www.flickr.com/photos/liverpoolsuburbia/447550442/
Posted By: bert1 Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 20th Feb 2014 6:42pm
Following the enumerators walk in 1851, Rimmers Row must have been in the area below, I think Rimmers Court was once Rimmers Cottages, 6 properties. Rimmers Row which was 3 properties were in or just around the corner from Mona Street/Scots place.
Enumerators walk starting at Manor View,
3 properties, Rimmers Row
Woodbine Cottage
Rose Cottage
Upton Rd,1 Property
Park Inn
7 properties, Mona Cottages
6 properties, Rimmers Cottages
Manor cottage
6 properties, Scots Cottages
Upton rd.

Attached picture 1.JPG
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 20th Feb 2014 6:56pm
Using Google maps there is no numbers 19 or 21 in Mona Street, are these the ones behind the gates on the left? There are 7 houses in white paint, so I presume these are the 7 called Mona cottages.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 21st Feb 2014 12:28am
Strange place to build a wall half over cobble stones.

Attached picture Untitled.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 21st Feb 2014 7:54am
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
Using Google maps there is no numbers 19 or 21 in Mona Street, are these the ones behind the gates on the left? There are 7 houses in white paint, so I presume these are the 7 called Mona cottages.

Likely, though its only supposition, we need divine intervention from Marty, with a map.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 21st Feb 2014 12:33pm
Ok, I`ve slept on it and come up with... behind the blue gates was the cottage that was turned into Halligans office, next door was 2 cottages knocked into one with their materials in them. So, 3 cottages in all. The Row of 3, got to be right surely?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 22nd Feb 2014 7:37am
Could be right, my only observation would be the sequence of enumeration, one would expect Rimmers Row to be enumerated next to Rimmers Court, only a map will end speculation.
Posted By: cheshirelassy Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 22nd Feb 2014 12:03pm
Thank you all for attempting to find the site of Rimmers Row. I think that the only way of firmly establishing the site is a map. I just hope someone finds one. Thank You all.
Regards
Cheshirelassy
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 23rd Feb 2014 3:01am
map 1876

Attached picture 1876.jpg
Posted By: bigpete Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 24th Feb 2014 2:48am
I have a theory - that the 2 building with the C + l of the 'Claughton' name on them - seem to have walkways straight through to the back (shown by long crosses the depth of the building)meaning that pedestrian access was available to get to the back of the building, which makes it look like a 'Court' type tenement building, with a dwelling at the front and a separate one on the same floor behind, mirrored on any upper floors.
It is possible that the building at the back had its own name distinct from the building on the main road - the name Rimmers Court backs this up too.

Rows in the Wirral area normally signify terraced cottages...
Posted By: bigpete Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 24th Feb 2014 2:57am
There are some buildings accessible from the NW corner of the junction between Mona St and Scotts Place - that look pretty old too - maybe these are possible candidates ?
Posted By: bigpete Re: Rimmers Row Claughton/Bidston - 24th Feb 2014 4:32am
This has really piqued my interest as my Great Nan lived in Mona Street with my Great Uncle Dickie her son - surname Barrow - a lovely little Irish lady - with a volcanic temper - and Uncle Dickie - a gentle giant, don't know how he even fitted through the door...
I will have to go and have a look !, when I finish nights in a couple of days.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral