Forums
Posted By: fillbo Artillery shell box - 11th Feb 2014 8:14pm
Anybody know what this is,searched on google but can't find anything.I think it might be off a gun carriage?

Attached picture IMG_0956.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0958.JPG
Posted By: Helles Re: Artillery shell box - 14th Feb 2014 9:51pm
Possibly a box that a soldier or officer kept his personal stuff in. Probably well before the 20th century but what do I know? It looks as though you can put a padlock on it which suggests it is not for shells. Have you googled regimental badges to see if you can find out which regiment/corps this might be? I'm assuming it is military!
Posted By: Helles Re: Artillery shell box - 14th Feb 2014 10:08pm
I suspect the motto is Dieu et ma main droite – God and my right hand.

This is the royal coat of arms but used by a number of organisations for want of a better word. Some newspapers even had it on their banners. You can (could?) find it on a British passport as well.

Posted By: fillbo Re: Artillery shell box - 14th Feb 2014 10:51pm
Originally Posted by Helles
Possibly a box that a soldier or officer kept his personal stuff in. Probably well before the 20th century but what do I know? It looks as though you can put a padlock on it which suggests it is not for shells. Have you googled regimental badges to see if you can find out which regiment/corps this might be? I'm assuming it is military!

Here's a link to a photo of the inside of the Lid,this why I think it is a shell box.
Photobucket
Posted By: fillbo Re: Artillery shell box - 14th Feb 2014 11:00pm
Originally Posted by Helles
I suspect the motto is Dieu et ma main droite – God and my right hand.

This is the royal coat of arms but used by a number of organisations for want of a better word. Some newspapers even had it on their banners. You can (could?) find it on a British passport as well.

I've googled for coat of arms and found quite a few similar but none exactly the same,also none under military coat of arms.
Posted By: yoller Re: Artillery shell box - 15th Feb 2014 9:54am
I think the motto is Dieu Et Mon Droit - God And My Right.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Artillery shell box - 15th Feb 2014 6:01pm
Also, 'Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense' around the centre.
'Evil Be to Him Who Evil Thinks', as in the Royal Coat of Arms.

Attached picture 620px-Royal_Coat_of_Arms_of_the_United_Kingdom_svg.png
Posted By: fillbo Re: Artillery shell box - 15th Feb 2014 7:42pm
Thanks for the replies,I've searched and found numerous images of the Royal coat of arms all with the motto Dieu Et Mon Droit literally God and My Right, meaning My Divine Right(to rule)But all differing in design.I was hoping to find the same design as the one on the box which might help to date it.It must have some age to it as the lid has quite a bit of wear, I presume, from being used as a seat.
Posted By: Helles Re: Artillery shell box - 15th Feb 2014 9:41pm
Does look like it held shells judging by the indentations. The crown should give a clue as they changed with different monarchs I think.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral