Forums
Posted By: Erainn Cricket Memories From Long Ago In Townfield Lane - 14th Dec 2013 5:31pm
Wanted to see if anyone else has a recollection of a charity cricket match played at a ground I think was in Townfield Lane, Oxton? The game took place in the mid 1970s and for some reason I have a memory of a young David Gower taking part
I don't remember David Gower playing there, I do remember Ian Botham and that ground being mentioned in the same breath, about that time.
I was there as a youngster. Can't remember who it was a benefit match for, but will try and find out.

I remember Gower sitting there for about an hour signing autographs and having photographs taken with everybody.
Oxton CC used to host Cheshire minor counties cricket club in the Nat West Trophy. I remember seeing Yorkshire and Surrey play there, this would be in the early 90's.
Thanks guys smile So Beefy OR Gower hmmmm
Originally Posted by Glocko
Oxton CC used to host Cheshire minor counties cricket club in the Nat West Trophy. I remember seeing Yorkshire and Surrey play there, this would be in the early 90's.

1985 & 1986.

http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/46/46137.html

http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/47/47434.html
24424m What a fabulous record
I went to both of those.

Boycott & Moxon carrying their bats - great stuff!

Fantastic sunny days, a sizable beer tent, great cricket and walking distance home - Happy Days!

I also remember West Indian bowler Winston Benjamin, playing for Chester Broughton Hall against Oxton, as a young man. Don't think the rather sedate Liverpool Competition standard players knew what had hit them, and seemed to be visibly shaking as he started his run-up somewhere by the sight-screens. If I recall, he also knocked several sixes into the Bowler Hat grounds!
Amazing experience I imagine..my recall on David Gower playing there years before is similarly pleasant
I never watched cricket at Townfield Lane. My favourite place was Parkgate. I remember watching Ken Cranston amass some good scores there, watching whilst I was consuming large quantities of Parkgate shrimps.
Wow, that's over 60 years ago.
smile bet they were tasty eh Chris?
It was an Ian Botham testimonial game...I have the programme
organiser thanks for that, for some reason (corroded memory) I had thought it was David Gower..any chance of posting details from your programme? Cheers, Erainn
Will do my best to put the programme on here...not massively clever with this sort of thing
organiser...good of you smile ..just a thought but a 'testimonial' sounds like a twilight career kind of event..that being so with 'Beefy' would that not have been in the 1980s? If so then the game I attended was during the 1970s hmmm
Erainn.....I might have got slightly mixed up re "testimonial" I know I have somewhere amongst my programme collection one for when Botham played here...if you can wait until after Christmas I will dig it out and let you have full details
Organiser..nooo problem..let's focus on the Yuletide goodies and reconvene after adding a few pounds to the waistline smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral