Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Where were some of these billiard halls - 27th Sep 2013 1:26pm
Thanks to the archives I recently got an email of a list of Birkenhead Magistrates Licences for alcohol and billiards 1880 to 1975.
Not too sure if you needed a licence if you owned somewhere where you could play billiards (snooker and card games possibly?)
without there being an alcohol licence
Where were these?

1 Argyle Street 1915-1941

2 Assembly Rooms Park Road North 1920 - 1963 Billiard Licenses

3 Bedford Road 1915 - 1941

4 Borough Concert Hall Borough Road 1920 - 1941

5 Central Vaults Grange Road 1915 - 1941
Possibly back of the Central Hotel but never knew of access from Grange Road

6 Charing Cross Billiard Hall Whetstone Lane 1915 - 1941

7 Drill Hall Holt Road 1920 - 1952

8 Grange Road 1931 - 1963
Maybe the Atlas Hotel

9 Roxy Cinema Charing Cross 1945 - 1952
never knew that - what part

10 Temperance Billiard Hall Grove Road 1915 - 1941

11 Victoria Lodge Hotel Victoria Road 1915 - 1941
only been there once and never noticed a billiard table

12 Woodside Lairage Social Club 1915 - 1930 Billiard Licenses

Not on list
Woodside Hotel
The Livingstone
Atlas
The Castle
The Britannia
Posted By: bert1 Re: Where were some of these billiard halls - 27th Sep 2013 2:05pm
Argyle St and Grove Rd ?

Attached picture bill.JPG
Posted By: chriskay Re: Where were some of these billiard halls - 27th Sep 2013 6:52pm
Somewhere in Grange Rd. roughly where I've marked 'x' was Montague Burton "The Tailor of Taste". Above it was a billiard hall, but I don't think there was a bar.

Attached picture Clip_3.jpg
Posted By: valli Re: Where were some of these billiard halls - 27th Sep 2013 11:07pm
I worked in Paige Fashions 1974,just down from Robbs and opposite the old T J Hughes. to the side of Paiges was a walkway to Oliver st.Woolworths was on the opposite side of walkway.in this walkway was a building that co op employees used for functions and I think there was a billiards room there too
Posted By: joney Re: Where were some of these billiard halls - 30th Sep 2013 9:38am
Would Park rd north be the billiard hall situated over George Herrons car showroom in Park rd north although the entrance was in Vittoria st.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Where were some of these billiard halls - 1st Oct 2013 12:39pm
Originally Posted by bert1
Argyle St and Grove Rd ?

Possibly these

Attached picture 17 grove road.jpg

Description: either the club or the Cooperative Funeral Home next door
Attached picture 73 argyle st.jpg

Description: Was this the Holt Road Drill Hall
Attached picture holt road.jpg
Attached picture holt2.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Where were some of these billiard halls - 1st Oct 2013 12:46pm
Birkenhead Picturedrome and Billiard Hall

I may call in there sometime and enquire if the there is a basement that was a billiard hall.
O nly went there once and can't remember if you went upstairs to see the picture or if it was on ground level

It was announced on the 23rd November 1910 that a company
Birkenhead Picturedrome and Billiard Hall Ltd., had been formed with the objective of acquiring the land and the six dwelling houses in Salisbury Street, and to erect on the site a combined Picturedrome and Billiard Hall with its frontage on Whetstone Lane, Charing Cross.

The building itself was designed such that the sports facility was below, and entirely separated from the picture house by a massive sound and fire-proof concrete floor supported on wrought compound girders.

Opened on Thursday 25th May 1911 with the inauguration ceremony taking place at 2.30 pm and that evening the finals of a league match bY employees from Messrs. Cook and Townsend of Liverpool and Messrs.Robb Bros of Birkenhead. The match was followed by refreshment and a dance.
The hall was available to both men and women players and, at the time,claimed to be the first billiard parlour to be illuminated entirely by electricity.

1956 the cinema was to close and a few years later became a
store for the Birkenhead and District Co-operative Society, and more recently a sports shop. The former billiards hall had long ceased to be used for its original
purpose and had been leased for fire brigade civil defence training who continued to use it for a short while after the cinema had ceased business. This was one of the first cinemas to close in Birkenhead during the rapid decline of the industry in the 1950-60's.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Where were some of these billiard halls - 1st Oct 2013 12:51pm
Originally Posted by joney
Would Park rd north be the billiard hall situated over George Herrons car showroom in Park rd north although the entrance was in Vittoria st.

Never went to it
The building seems to have had a bit of history to it.
Any info of it before the 1916 street directory

Attached picture park rd north 2.jpg
Attached picture park rd north 3.jpg
Attached picture park rd north 1916.jpg
Attached picture park rd north 1916a.jpg
Attached picture park rd north map.jpg

Description: shown on 1909 map as Laird's Sghool of Art?
Attached picture park rd north Laird school 1909  map for wiki.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Where were some of these billiard halls - 1st Oct 2013 1:12pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Somewhere in Grange Rd. roughly where I've marked 'x' was Montague Burton "The Tailor of Taste". Above it was a billiard hall, but I don't think there was a bar.

Later 1950s map, I'm confused by the numbers 202 to 210 on the possible Burton building.
Do you know for sure it was a billiard hall upstairs as I remember it as a dance club The Craftmans club about 1966/68ish.
Once told by an old chap it may have some association with the Masonic Hall in Oliver St (there is a passageway, still there today in Grange Rd that leads to the back of the Masonic Hall)

Attached picture burtons.jpg
Posted By: joney Re: Where were some of these billiard halls - 3rd Oct 2013 10:28am
Most of Montague Burtons tailors shops had billiard rooms above .
Posted By: chriskay Re: Where were some of these billiard halls - 3rd Oct 2013 10:56am
Derek; yes, that numbering is strange. I'm sure about it being a billiard hall above Burton's, but I'm talking about before 1956, so it may have changed later.
Joney; a few years ago I went to spend a few days with a son in Walthamstow. He took me to his snooker club, which was above a takeaway of some sort, but in the entrance there was still the tiling with "Montague Burton" in it.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Where were some of these billiard halls - 3rd Oct 2013 12:47pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Originally Posted by chriskay

Later 1950s map, I'm confused by the numbers 202 to 210 on the possible Burton building.
Do you know for sure it was a billiard hall upstairs as I remember it as a dance club The Craftmans club about 1966/68ish.
Once told by an old chap it may have some association with the Masonic Hall in Oliver St (there is a passageway, still there today in Grange Rd that leads to the back of the Masonic Hall)

Have a look at the back of the 202-210 building - there are steps leading upwards there.
You have to go via the passageway previously mentioned.
AFAIK - nothing to do with the Masonic Hall - have been there a few times for work.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Where were some of these billiard halls - 21st Oct 2013 3:58pm
[Linked Image] This looks like billiard hall in argyle st
Its on Daniels own page http://danielklongman.tumblr.com/tagged/waryears
© Wirral-Wikiwirral