Forums
Posted By: LittlePearl Hello from a newbie. - 23rd Aug 2013 12:05pm
Was born in Birkenhead in 1947, farmed out around age 3-5. Just trying to recall bits about where I was born.
Oxton Street and Woodchurch Street are places I lived.
I remember the house being multi storey, and us all sliding down several bannisters as kids. Seem to recall a tailor/alteration shop at the bottom.
Does this jog anypne's memory please?
Posted By: valli Re: Hello from a newbie. - 23rd Aug 2013 6:27pm
Hello and welcome.the streets you mention Oxton and Woodchurch are actually roads.Oxton road runs from Charing cross to Woodchurch rd which continues up to the Old Railway bridge someone may be able to put a map up to show area.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Hello from a newbie. - 23rd Aug 2013 6:50pm
bit younger than you so dont remember your child hood but welcome to wiki
Posted By: LittlePearl Re: Hello from a newbie. - 23rd Aug 2013 9:23pm
Ah, yes of course, Oxton Road, Woodchurch Road, the last address I recall (even the number) is Needwood Drive in Bebington.
Is there a park called The Arno?
I remember swimming at Guinea Gap baths, an outdoor pool.
I even spent a few months at a convent school.
To add, my links in Wirral are now passed, just trying to put stuff back together from what I recall as a child.
I recall being put on a train to Lime St station, and guard looking after me.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Hello from a newbie. - 23rd Aug 2013 10:27pm
Welcome. Here's a map of the Arno; it's the park at the top of Storeton Rd. with a circular path, about at the centre of the map. If you do a search, there are many references to it.
http://goo.gl/maps/SDiIl
Posted By: valli Re: Hello from a newbie. - 23rd Aug 2013 10:30pm
Originally Posted by LittlePearl
Ah, yes of course, Oxton Road, Woodchurch Road, the last address I recall (even the number) is Needwood Drive in Bebington.
Is there a park called The Arno?
I remember swimming at Guinea Gap baths, an outdoor pool.
I even spent a few months at a convent school.
To add, my links in Wirral are now passed, just trying to put stuff back together from what I recall as a child.
I recall being put on a train to Lime St station, and guard looking after me.
The Arno is in Storeton Rd. The Convent school could have been Holt Hill. The uniform was brown. New Ferry had an outdoor baths as did New Brighton too.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Hello from a newbie. - 23rd Aug 2013 10:40pm
Posted By: valli Re: Hello from a newbie. - 23rd Aug 2013 11:01pm
There was a big three story house in Oxton rd opposite Warwick street.I was born 1958 so remember it.I lived in Warwick street till 1971.Oxton rd had many nice shops until 1970s. When they compulsary purchased the houses. Knocked all the terraced housing down to make a car park.They also built modern housing there .But the old community ties were forever broken as families moved to Council houses.in Prenton Tranmere,Woodchurch.Ford and Saughall massie Sadly the shopping areas around that area have greatly declined too.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Hello from a newbie. - 24th Aug 2013 7:56am
Guinea Gap baths has always been an indoor pool & is in Seacombe, so maybe that wasn't the one you used. Anyway, welcome. :-)
Posted By: LittlePearl Re: Hello from a newbie. - 24th Aug 2013 9:04pm
I can't tell you what it's like to hear thing from over 60 years ago.
It is only recently I have been told of my past.
The things I have mentioned is what I recalled from my young life there.
Mmm it was deff an outdoor pool, so wonder where it was.
Older sibling worked at Port Sunlight as I recall
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Hello from a newbie. - 24th Aug 2013 9:10pm
Maybe these baths..
http://www.francisfrith.com/little-sutton,cheshire/photos/rivacre-baths-c1935_l558014/

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/15208098
Posted By: LittlePearl Re: Hello from a newbie. - 24th Aug 2013 9:18pm
Too early for me. I recall shivering on blue concrete, best timelime is 1951 to 1954
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Hello from a newbie. - 24th Aug 2013 9:29pm
How about New Brighton baths, I think they had blue concrete around the perimeter

Attached picture baths.jpg
Posted By: valli Re: Hello from a newbie. - 24th Aug 2013 11:26pm
Have you got a picture of New Ferry baths
Posted By: Cobby Re: Hello from a newbie. - 25th Aug 2013 1:10pm
There was also an outdoor pool at Port Sunlight.

Anything look familiar on here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkU95hH424s?

Or a couple of pics...(these are New Ferry, can't find any of Port Sunlight, sorry)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: LittlePearl Re: Hello from a newbie. - 7th Sep 2013 8:23pm
Thanks, job to be specific after so long.
I cannot recall a slide or anything, just a basic pool with stretches of blue concrete.
Since last posting, I have had another memory jog.
One winter, while living in Needwood Drive, I was taken to a nearby stretch of water to skate on the ice. Probably some wild land.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral