Forums
Posted By: PAB75 Golf-ball shaped Cinema?! - 16th Jun 2013 7:56pm
I recall when I was small going to a very unusual cinema and wonder if anyone else remembers it and can prove that I'm not imagining things?!

It would have been around 1978 (I think I went to see Grease there) and I recall it being a cinema in a building shaped like a golf-ball and you had to go up steps to get into the structure.It was outside (in a field?). It may well have been somewhere in North Wales rather than on the Wirral.

I've not found anything on the internet and am starting to wonder if I've made it up!

Thanks
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Golf-ball shaped Cinema?! - 16th Jun 2013 8:10pm
Was there one in Butlins?
Posted By: cmw2a Re: Golf-ball shaped Cinema?! - 16th Jun 2013 9:44pm
There was an all-round cinema in Rhyl fairground for a while. You stood and watched a film and when the subject turned corners you all leaned over that way. Up and down on a roller coaster was a good one, it really felt as if you were in the car! It was quite a weird feeling! If the film stopped suddenly at a dead end you stopped too. I'm not sure what it's called but I think the idea was taken up by Disney
Posted By: rover644 Re: Golf-ball shaped Cinema?! - 16th Jun 2013 11:01pm
Originally Posted by cmw2a
There was an all-round cinema in Rhyl fairground for a while. You stood and watched a film and when the subject turned corners you all leaned over that way. Up and down on a roller coaster was a good one, it really felt as if you were in the car! It was quite a weird feeling! If the film stopped suddenly at a dead end you stopped too. I'm not sure what it's called but I think the idea was taken up by Disney
cinema 180
Posted By: Worzel Re: Golf-ball shaped Cinema?! - 17th Jun 2013 10:32pm
There was one of those at Southport as well
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Golf-ball shaped Cinema?! - 18th Jun 2013 8:53am
The cinemas 180 in Rhyl and Southport showed footage from 'say' the Grand Canyon ,Roller Coaster ect and you 'felt' that you were going through the Experience.When i went in the 80s i 'went ' GREEN and was VERY sick. lol. Don't recall them showing 'proper' films.
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: Golf-ball shaped Cinema?! - 19th Jun 2013 7:23pm
The one at Alton Towers was called Cine 2000

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/oldrides/cine2000.htm
Posted By: venice Re: Golf-ball shaped Cinema?! - 19th Jun 2013 7:50pm
Hey yes, I remember the Alton Towers one circa 1975ish . We were 'in' a helicopter swooping along the Grand Canyon. Id forgotten all about it till this thread .
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: Golf-ball shaped Cinema?! - 21st Jun 2013 11:16am
Can't remember whether it was at the one in Southport or Alton Towers but there was a great one called Granny Goes for a Drive or something where it was like you were in a car being driven around San Francisco.
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: Golf-ball shaped Cinema?! - 21st Jun 2013 11:18am
Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyp2A2G1ki4
© Wirral-Wikiwirral