Forums
Posted By: Christine12 Bromborough Pool - 14th Jun 2013 10:39am
Does anyone know why Bromborough Pool is called Bromborough Pool? My grandma was born and grew up there and we were just chatting the other day and I asked her and she didn't know the answer!

Thanks!
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Bromborough Pool - 14th Jun 2013 1:10pm
Because it started it's life as just that a pool.

Have a read here:
http://www.oldwirral.com/bromborough_pool.html
&
http://www.cc-publishing.co.uk/Archives/bromborough.html
Posted By: yoller Re: Bromborough Pool - 14th Jun 2013 1:13pm
Bromborough Pool was one of several tidal pools, or inlets, coming off the Mersey. Other similar pools further up the river were Tranmere Pool and Wallasey Pool - both long ago enclosed. Across the river, of course, there is the most famous pool, Liverpool.
Posted By: guitarlad Re: Bromborough Pool - 14th Jun 2013 1:52pm
More info.Bromborough Pool Village Conservation Area was designated in October 1986. It is located on the eastern side of the Wirral Peninsular, close to the banks of the River Mersey.

Bromborough Pool stands in history as one of the villages constructed by wealthy industrialists that revolutionised the working and living standards of their workers. It was developed in 1854 to provide homes for workers in the nearby Price's Candle Factory. The site was chosen due to its proximity to Liverpool, through which one of the critical materials in the candle making process in that time, palm oil, was imported. As the new site was some distance away from existing residential areas, it was necessary to construct new housing for the workers. The factory’s owners, the Wilson brothers, already had a good reputation for the empathy and attitude they had towards their workers and this was further displayed in the layout and management of the Bromborough Pool site.

Although beginning in 1854 the development of the Village continued throughout the rest of the century to incorporate a school, hospital, village hall and Church, all of which remained in the ownership of the factory. The Village, therefore, represents one of the earliest examples of English private company
Posted By: Christine12 Re: Bromborough Pool - 14th Jun 2013 10:23pm
Wow thanks so much everyone! Really interesting. Will be sure to pass that on to my grandmother! Thank you :-)
Posted By: missmoneypenny Re: Bromborough Pool - 15th Jun 2013 11:07am
Sad news is, The factory has now been closed since the mid nineties.Its being dismantled bit by bit at the moment.
Posted By: Christine12 Re: Bromborough Pool - 16th Jun 2013 11:39am
Originally Posted by missmoneypenny
Sad news is, The factory has now been closed since the mid nineties.Its being dismantled bit by bit at the moment.

I can see it from the back of my house coming down very gradually! frown
© Wirral-Wikiwirral