Forums
Posted By: Erainn What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 1st Jun 2013 10:55am
Does anyone recall during the later 1960s in Grange Road West a toy shop, that had in the window a train set, which could be set in motion by inserting a penny into a machine outside? Any info, location or other details would be very welcome
Posted By: Hedgehog Re: What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 2nd Jun 2013 7:06am
Zodiac?
Posted By: bert1 Re: What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 2nd Jun 2013 7:35am
Zodiac are listed being at 14 Borough Pavement, Grange Precinct, 1976 and after. No show before that in Grange Rd West.
Posted By: rocks Re: What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 2nd Jun 2013 8:22am
is the model/airfix shop in grange rd west? its still there too
Posted By: Erainn Re: What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 2nd Jun 2013 10:42am
Not sure folks, had a conversation with someone recently who mentioned this shop in GRW with the model train display. I had no idea
Posted By: lansyp Re: What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 5th Jun 2013 1:06pm
That was robs if I remember rightly
Toy and hobby?
Posted By: Erainn Re: What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 5th Jun 2013 10:36pm
Robbs was in Grange Road West or Grange Road, towards the top near Charing Cross? Toy & Hobby escapes my recall, any more info on that?
Posted By: rocks Re: What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 6th Jun 2013 8:29am
toy and hobby was at the top end of grange road in the late 1980s
Posted By: chriskay Re: What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 6th Jun 2013 10:31am
Originally Posted by Erainn
Robbs was in Grange Road West or Grange Road, towards the top near Charing Cross? Toy & Hobby escapes my recall, any more info on that?

Robb's was in Grange Rd. roughly opposite Pyke's at the top of Vincent St. It was the major up-market department store. It had lifts with white gloved attendants and a restaurant called the Oak Room. This pic. shows part of the building.
http://goo.gl/maps/STcjI
I don't remember Toy and Hobby.
Posted By: Erainn Re: What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 6th Jun 2013 3:08pm
Chris, many thanks for the confirmation of that and the image too, had thought so..not sure 'Toy & Hobby' was the shop mentioned by my friend, who was talking about a place during the late 1960s into the 70s. He seemed pretty sure it was down Grange Road West and mentioned a slot machine outside in which you placed a penny, which in turn fired up the train set in the display...
Posted By: kimpri Re: What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 6th Jun 2013 4:52pm
model shop in Oxton road had a train set in the window,
Posted By: Erainn Re: What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 6th Jun 2013 8:49pm
Hi kimpri1, when would that be? Do you have any more information or any photos by chance?
Posted By: IanR123 Re: What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 9th Jun 2013 7:54am
Yes. It was Oxton Road. On the left as you approach the Cross
If I remember correctly there a was a dolls hospital on Argyle Street between Oliver Lane and Grange Road it might have been the building called "Eden" in the picture from Google Maps. My mum used to get replacement eyes for my teddy bear from there. Some 50 odd years ago.

Attached picture argyle.jpg
Posted By: valli Re: What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 10th Jun 2013 8:44pm
Does anyone recall during the later 1960s in Grange Road West a toy shop, that had in the window a train set, which could be set in motion by inserting a penny into a machine outside? Any info, location or other details would be very welcome
The Toy shop your talking about was in Grange rd west it was on the same row as Hintons the Butchers somewhere in the middle of that row opposite Mackenzies and Beno Dorne I asked my brother he knew where it was but cannot remember name of shop.The shop in Oxton rd is not the one your asking about that did have a train set in window but not one like the one in grange rd west.Try 32 grange rd west as likely address.
Posted By: chriskay Re: What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 10th Jun 2013 10:49pm
I don't remember the toy shop, but I bought a Leica camera from McKenzie's. I remember Beno Dorn (no "e")too. I recently saw an advertising board for him in Chester: he surely can't be still alive, but they're still using the name.
Posted By: Erainn Re: What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 10th Jun 2013 11:22pm
Valli, many thanks for your helpful information, and reminding me too of McKenzies..and wowee Chris a Leica!
Posted By: chriskay Re: What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 11th Jun 2013 11:03am
Valli, many thanks for your helpful information, and reminding me too of McKenzies..and wowee Chris a Leica!

Yes, a Leica IIIB with an F2 Summar lens. About 1940. I bought it in about 1955
Posted By: valli Re: What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 12th Jun 2013 3:21pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
I don't remember the toy shop, but I bought a Leica camera from McKenzie's. I remember Beno Dorn (no "e")too. I recently saw an advertising board for him in Chester: he surely can't be still alive, but they're still using the name.
Sorry about the "e" .Tony one of the tailors is married to a friend of mine, next time I see her, I will ask her to see if Tony remembers toy shop.
Posted By: kimpri Re: What Was The Toy Shop In Grange Road West? - 12th Jun 2013 9:03pm
picture of grange road west clicky
© Wirral-Wikiwirral