Forums
Posted By: stu00 Women at Cammell Laird - 29th Apr 2013 2:31pm
Someone has asked me to do some research into women who went to work at Lairds during the second world war.

They seem to be under the impression there was a large influx of women into the yard doing that bit in the war. I've struggled to find anything on women at Lairds and if i'm honest i'm not surprised.

I was very much under the impression few men from Lairds went to war (due to their skills) which would mean few women would be needed to take their place.

Does anyone have an information or ideas of where to look for information? Already looked through books at Central Library
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Women at Cammell Laird - 29th Apr 2013 2:54pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/71/a7274171.shtml
Posted By: kenmo52 Re: Women at Cammell Laird - 29th Apr 2013 3:12pm
Try Wirral Archives at the Cheshire Lines Building at Woodside.

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/my-services/leisure-and-culture/wirral-archives-service

Believe it or not but nearly all of the HR records for Lairds were destroyed by VSEL after it closed its doors in 1993. I worked there for 20 + years.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Women at Cammell Laird - 29th Apr 2013 4:40pm
I think most men were classed as in a reserved occupation; after all, shipbuilding was vital during the war. My dad was a shipwright there and was never called up.
Posted By: stu00 Re: Women at Cammell Laird - 29th Apr 2013 6:18pm
Yeah i saw that BBC memories thing and that's what i'm looking for really just more of it.

I was thinking about looking at what Wirral Archive had but i think the only information i'll get will simply be how many worked there and their pay.

The person i'm getting the info for wants stories about the women's experiences there. There will be stories out there which my never have been told/recorded. In fact i'm living proof of that!!

My Grandad was a Joiner at Lairds during the War and he met my Nan, who worked in the canteen at lairds, during the war. But sadly they died many years ago (in fact my grandad died well before i was born) and i never asked about it.....regrets....
© Wirral-Wikiwirral