Forums
Posted By: ajgx4 Squatters Birkenhead - 12th Mar 2013 2:57pm
My brother in laws family (he is 61) squatted on the area of Upton Army Camp next to Arowe Brook Farm with 300 other people from the north end. They then moved to St James Road when it was built. I have scoured the internet and can't find anything about the squatters.
There is plenty on net about the army camp.
Anyone who can fill in some blanks or anything really just to help with filling a time in his childhood.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Squatters Birkenhead - 12th Mar 2013 3:40pm
I'm not sure if they would have been called squatters all those years ago. I can only offer this as a suggestion, if you look at the map of the army camp in the link, they may have been temporarily housed in the billets,(green shaded area) after the war, when the army had no further use for them.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/520321/1.html

Further up Arrowe Park Rd towards Upton, there were prefabs, perhaps temporary accommodation there.
Posted By: ajgx4 Re: Squatters Birkenhead - 13th Mar 2013 8:28am
Bertione thanks for that.
They apparently lived in nissan huts.
Where there nissan huts in the green shaded area?
I can't make out the writing even after trying to resize the jpg.
Al
Posted By: bert1 Re: Squatters Birkenhead - 13th Mar 2013 8:48am
Its very likely they were Nissan huts, at least some if not all that they used as Billets for the occupying troops during the war. They were easily erected and removed.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Squatters Birkenhead - 13th Mar 2013 9:07am
Just to add,
Nissan huts, falls in with Cooldarls post in the link,

Wording in the green shaded area is the area size.
Posted By: joney Re: Squatters Birkenhead - 13th Mar 2013 9:20am
Nissan is a car, nissen is a hut.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Squatters Birkenhead - 13th Mar 2013 9:44am
Originally Posted by joney
Nissan is a car, nissen is a hut.

Silly head on
Posted By: joney Re: Squatters Birkenhead - 13th Mar 2013 12:33pm
During the war I can remember the land at Arrowe park being used by the U.S.army as a big vehicle park and watched once from outside the old fire station as a long convoy of vehicles, I think about 50 heading down Borough Rd from the direction of Arrowe Park towards the tunnel with the way being cleared by civil police and military police. After the war the land was used for vehicle training by 113 assault Regt Royal Engineers (T.A)and 102 Amphibious transport column R.A.S.C T.A.Both used tracked vehicles. The camp on land near to Upton Was a R.E.M.E Workshops (T.A.)
Posted By: Helles Re: Squatters Birkenhead - 14th Mar 2013 11:48am
Not Wirral but the same applied.

http://www.chalfontstgiles.org.uk/squatters.htm
© Wirral-Wikiwirral