Forums
Posted By: JessandAnn The Krall club, Brighton /street - 3rd Mar 2013 5:05pm
Am I right in thinking the orginal Krall club was opposite the Marina cinema? This would have been in the late 50's you went down the steps to a cellar, the sound proofing was egg boxes stuck on the wall. A great fire hazzard! One night when the lights when on before we left, we found that the banjo player had cut his finger on the strings without realising it, and the whole wall at the side of him was covered in blood!Has anyone got any photos of this club?
Posted By: Moonstar Re: The Krall club, Brighton /street - 3rd Mar 2013 5:32pm
Aaaah! I remember it well.

Frothy coffee and bacon butties.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: The Krall club, Brighton /street - 3rd Mar 2013 5:34pm
I was a regular there. The Grand Hotel to the right and The Travelers Rest to the left.
Posted By: carol Re: The Krall club, Brighton /street - 3rd Mar 2013 7:39pm
Had great times there when The Pressmen were the resident group. It looks really sad now cause its being knocked down for horrible Weatherspoons. I used to work at the Penny Farthing in the downstairs bar. Anyone got any memories of time spent there?
Posted By: snowshoes Re: The Krall club, Brighton /street - 3rd Mar 2013 9:02pm
Hi Carol....I was a big fan of The Pressmen, Derry Wilkie was fantastic. Do you remember that new fruit machine? It got stuck one time and kept paying. Oh happy times. I met my first wife there (Hilsry Evans). She has a sister Lynn. They lived on Dudley Rd
Posted By: carol Re: The Krall club, Brighton /street - 4th Mar 2013 12:14am
I remember the story about the fruit machine - no one knew if it was truth or rumour!!! Remember John Stanley on the door and Rocky the bouncer. 3 floors to choose from and that fab hamburger van outside - never tasted so good - before the walk home.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: The Krall club, Brighton /street - 4th Mar 2013 12:36am
Where was this establishment?
Posted By: daveybm Re: The Krall club, Brighton /street - 4th Mar 2013 8:20am
The Kraal club was in New Brighton later on known as Golden Guinea and then RJs, on the prom next to the Travellers Rest. It was owned by John Stanley of Stanley's Cask fame

Dave
Posted By: Tatey Re: The Krall club, Brighton /street - 4th Mar 2013 8:55am
JessandAnn,

I don't know of one in Brighton Street, only the one in New Brighton.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: The Krall club, Brighton /street - 4th Mar 2013 9:36am
John Stanley and his then girlfriend Angela, we thought the absolute in cool.My school friends and I had class tennis lessons on the courts opposite the old New Brighton baths.They would stroll to the baths in the summer sunshine-people of leisure whilst we would go back to lessons.

Whenever I hear Karl Denver singing 'Wimoweh'( The Lion Sleeps Tonight) I instantly think of the Kraal and doing the 'Krall Jive in the basement.I was not allowed to go to clubs. We went on Sunday afternoons when my dad thought I was in church. To me it was the most exciting part of my teens and the music was great.

Does anyone remember Barry Ward whose parents used to run a hotel in New Brighton? He was always there. I think he died some years ago.
Posted By: carol Re: The Krall club, Brighton /street - 4th Mar 2013 4:26pm
Barry Ward was the roadie for the Pressmen and he and I went out together for about 6 months. This was early 60's. I last saw him about 25 years ago at the Golden Guinea and he told me he was living in America and managing a band called Sweet Sensation. I have often thought about him and its very sad news if he has died.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: The Krall club, Brighton /street - 4th Mar 2013 5:17pm
Wow Carol! Did not think I would hear from someone on Wikki, who also enjoyed 'snogging' Baz.

Where you the Carol who used to go with Baz to 8th Wallasey Scouts Socials? We used to ask the person putting on the records to play 'O Carole' that brilliant track by Neil Sedaka when 'Carole' or 'Carol' was there.They were tame evenings but my Dad only let me go as my mother and grandmother went along. Grandmother was best friend of GSM Billy Hill's wife. My twin was with 8th for many years.
The highlight of the evening was rolling two dice and if you got a double six you had to snatch the fur coat off the person in the middle, put on fur gloves and cut and eat a choc bar with a knife and fork!

Posted By: pokerchamp Re: The Krall club, Brighton /street - 4th Mar 2013 7:10pm
i used to manage the stanleys cask for john stanley,heard some great story's about this club off him,does anyone remember jan van marle?
Posted By: carol Re: The Krall club, Brighton /street - 5th Mar 2013 12:09am
Pax - Can't remember if we went to these. Most of the dances we went to the Pressmen were playing and not just records. I think the song Oh Carol followed me wherever I went. One song that always reminds me of the Kraal is Runaway by Del Shannon. Only have to hear it and I am right back there. The last I heard of Jan I think he was managing The Old Bank pub in Brighton Street when John had it.
Posted By: Wally1 Re: The Krall club, Brighton /street - 5th Mar 2013 2:02am
Kraal was great in 60's. I met my wife there and we are still
going strong! If it was hot in summer some people would climb
into the baths to cool off. There were all night sessions ending
in Weavers Cafe in Victoria Rd. (also John Stanleys)

Only coffee inside, so it was off to the Grand or Queens Royal
in the breaks for a pint (half if in the Spanish Bar!)
Posted By: Tatey Re: The Krall club, Brighton /street - 5th Mar 2013 8:30am
pokerchamp,

Jan van Marle can be found behind the bar at the Cask in Rake Lane at times.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: The Krall club, Brighton /street - 5th Mar 2013 9:37am
Great times! My brother loved Del Shannon and that track was always playing in our house. The only 'Pressmen' gig I went to was a charity function at St Luke's hall
© Wirral-Wikiwirral