Forums
Posted By: rosa466 mystery pics? - 18th Feb 2013 1:17pm
found these two pics browsing online and wondered if anyone can place them?
First one seems to have Birkenhead Town Hall in the background??
The last is meant to be in Rock Ferry but its no where i know??

Attached picture !BgCgV2QCGk~$(KGrHqEOKj0Er)0G,n(BBLDq8cGYCg~~_1.JPG

Description: Rock Ferry?
Attached picture $(KGrHqJHJFEFENLH6B43BRITRGp4+Q~~60_12.JPG
Posted By: BrechinNeil Re: mystery pics? - 18th Feb 2013 2:22pm
The top one looks like the houses over the road from the Bridewell. Not the ones facing the ones at the back. You cut through one of the roads opposite the bridewell. Theres a pub round there The swinging Arm.

The second I think may be Egerton Park
Posted By: taylor4898 Re: mystery pics? - 18th Feb 2013 4:50pm
Rock park??
Posted By: rosa466 Re: mystery pics? - 18th Feb 2013 6:13pm
does any one else think thats the town hall between the houses on first pic?
Posted By: chriskay Re: mystery pics? - 18th Feb 2013 10:19pm
Doesn't look like the town hall to me. Second picture doesn't look like either Egerton Park or Rock Park. Sorry I haven't anything positive to contribute.
Posted By: lansyp Re: mystery pics? - 18th Feb 2013 10:24pm
it does look like rock park ,it could be the cranes in the back ground
Posted By: rosa466 Re: mystery pics? - 19th Feb 2013 9:33am
sorry should have said the first one is entitled "Birkenhead" and the second i cant see being Rock Park or Egerton Park, the houses seem to be of an older design than the Italiante style of those two "parks"??
been walking around google street trying to find if the first pic is in Hamilton sq or there abouts and the only angle u can see the top of town hall over the courts is from Church st, and looking at the tithe map u can see that there was another street called Rose Brae, but in all honesty the house in the pic seems rather grand for a street so close to the docks, so im at a loss as to where it might be??!!
Posted By: BrechinNeil Re: mystery pics? - 19th Feb 2013 1:58pm
Originally Posted by rosa466
sorry should have said the first one is entitled "Birkenhead" and the second i cant see being Rock Park or Egerton Park, the houses seem to be of an older design than the Italiante style of those two "parks"??
been walking around google street trying to find if the first pic is in Hamilton sq or there abouts and the only angle u can see the top of town hall over the courts is from Church st, and looking at the tithe map u can see that there was another street called Rose Brae, but in all honesty the house in the pic seems rather grand for a street so close to the docks, so im at a loss as to where it might be??!!

Alot of Egerton Park was pulled down and new houses built in the 60s. If you go to where the new houses are the road width is similar and still quite a bit of wall and railings in places.
Posted By: BrechinNeil Re: mystery pics? - 20th Feb 2013 9:19am
Okay a logical look at it.
The birkenhead photo looks like it was taken in the region of Russell Street.
If you look at the photo and go roughly the same distance from the town hall, you end up in either russell by where Mighalls removals is or in the middle of the mersey from the opposite side.

Where Russell St is now, you have Mighalls and Merseyside car clinic.
Looking at the pic, it looks like it is taken somewhere round there.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: mystery pics? - 20th Feb 2013 10:55am
The first pic could be from where John St meets Argyle St and the buildings may be the McAlisters club.
Don't know what the tall building is, possibly something before the police station was built.

Description: 1889 map
Attached picture 1889 building query.png
Attached picture McAlisters_.jpg
Posted By: rosa466 Re: mystery pics? - 25th Feb 2013 2:56pm
st Johns streets a thought!
hmm still not sure bout Egerton, not that much there before the current park?

Attached picture Screenshot from 2013-02-25 14:56:36.png
Posted By: derekdwc Re: mystery pics? - 5th Mar 2013 12:15pm
sorry for going slightly off topic.
Any old pics of John Street and what used to be where the car park is (next to Lairds? house)over the road from John Street?
Looking at this on site and trying to work out which shops they are. click

Attached picture john street car park.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral