Forums
Posted By: homeraway Tranmere laundry Dial Road - 22nd Dec 2012 3:04am

Now on my third history forum topic post so hoping for a hatrick of success.

Looking for info on Tranmere laundry which was off Dial Road Tranmere.
I know most if not all of the building is still there and some of it is used as a carpet/bed warehouse but wondering if there are any pictures of the building when it was a laundry.
I'm hoping to get a look in the buildings that are still there maybe after the Xmas period and get some photos then.
In the meantime any addition info would be appreciated.

thanks
Posted By: bert1 Re: Tranmere laundry Dial Road - 22nd Dec 2012 7:50am
The laundry was number 1 Dial rd, the proprietor from at least 1906-1924 was James Pryde, noticing his address, is he a link you would like more info on.
Posted By: homeraway Re: Tranmere laundry Dial Road - 22nd Dec 2012 11:19am
hi

yah that would be good, I have found and entry in the National archives on the web which i guess is the entry you have found detailing them having branches in moreton and Ellesmere port - just found it this morning.
not sure if thats the item you have found too.

Particularly interested in any older photographs inside or out but hope to get some of it in its current state in the coming weeks.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Tranmere laundry Dial Road - 22nd Dec 2012 11:44am
Can't help with photo's, I haven't been on NA, so I'm guessing the laundry business expanded a bit, James Pryde died in 1924, so was it his children that carried it on. In 1891/92 his laundry business was at 61 Church Rd, opposite St Catherine's who's number is 56. I have found probate for him and his son, James Albert so far, I'll put them up if you would like sight of them.
Posted By: homeraway Re: Tranmere laundry Dial Road - 22nd Dec 2012 12:02pm

Laundry established c.1890. On 9 June 1927 became Tranmere Laundry Ltd. based in Dial Road, then expanded 1931 to Moreton and Ellesmere Port.
I think I probably have what I need on for this now, knowing who started it and where it was. Next is to see what pictures might be available.
I can remember as a child, as my mum worked in there, walking down the entry on the way to school and peering through the metal grating on the windows to see her and vividly remember feeling the heat pouring out of the window and the acrid smell.

Posted By: Helles Re: Tranmere laundry Dial Road - 24th Dec 2012 8:12pm
I was a driver for them for about a year or so in 1969. At the time they were owned by the Virginia Steam laundry of Field road, New Brighton. A lot of the staff were from Neston as Tranmere took over the Neston laundry and took on some of the staff. Used to drive them home on occasion in the staff bus.

A history in itself in a way because they did all the work for Lairds, British Leather, Tranmere Rovers etc.

No photo's sadly.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Tranmere laundry Dial Road - 24th Dec 2012 8:22pm
Slightly off topic but does anyone remember the U.C.L.A. laundry vans? My mother told me the letters stood for uncle charlie's loony asylum,which seemed perfectly feasible to me at that age.
Posted By: Helles Re: Tranmere laundry Dial Road - 24th Dec 2012 8:42pm
My brother in law drove for them. I used to go on his rounds with him, usually in Wales.

United Cooperative Laundries (Association?). Not sure about the A to be honest!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Tranmere laundry Dial Road - 25th Dec 2012 5:46am
Originally Posted by Helles
My brother in law drove for them. I used to go on his rounds with him, usually in Wales.

He must have had a clean licence
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tranmere laundry Dial Road - 25th Dec 2012 10:08am
Originally Posted by Helles

You are quite right Helles. It was United Cooperative Laundries Association. Known as Uncle Charlie's Lunatic Asylum to us kids back then !!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral