Forums
Posted By: derekdwc looking for Boundary maps - 20th Dec 2012 12:53pm
Whilst doing a little researching I realised I didn't have clue where some roads where.
Were they in Oxton,Claughton or Bidston
Can anyone direct me to any maps that clearly state the boundaries or electoral districts of various places on Wirral?
or any lists with the name of the street/road that includes the area as well
The main ones being between

All of Wallasey

Birkenhead - Tranmere - Prenton - Rock Ferry

Oxton,- Claughton - Bidston

New Ferry - Port Sunlight - Bebington

ps I think somewhere on wiki is a link to postal codes and which area they represent
pps
Just looked up postcodes on wikipedia and none the wiser

Posted By: chriskay Re: looking for Boundary maps - 20th Dec 2012 1:21pm
Good luck, Derek. Boundaries seem to change on a whim; for instance, Prenton now seems to cover vast areas and Noctorum just used to be the area around Noctorum Rd./Lane and Budworth Rd./West Rd.
Posted By: bert1 Re: looking for Boundary maps - 20th Dec 2012 1:52pm
Does this help?

http://www.proviser.com/regional/towns/wirral/street_maps/
Posted By: derekdwc Re: looking for Boundary maps - 20th Dec 2012 2:42pm
ta Bert
A helpful site but still doesn't show me what district a road may be in.
Possibly look up their postcode and compare against
wikipedia Wirral postcodes
to give a rough idea.

I'd have thought there may be a database accessible for all the post that gets sent on polling day telling each house the nearest place where they can go to vote

Posted By: derekdwc Re: looking for Boundary maps - 20th Dec 2012 2:47pm
I've always been under the impression that Tranmere was separated from Birkenhead on one side by Whetstone Lane and Borough Road and am a bit hazy where Rock Ferry and Tranmere and Bebington meet
Posted By: Gibbo Re: looking for Boundary maps - 20th Dec 2012 3:05pm
Try this:

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/opendata/viewer/

You can turn on different boundary maps by clicking BOUNDARY LAYERS at the top right.

METROPOLITAN DISTRICT WARD may be the one you need.
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: looking for Boundary maps - 22nd Dec 2012 11:07pm
There's a website http://openlylocal.com/wards/ which shows wards, not townships. Search it using a postcode - the only other way is to go through 359 pages of alphabetical listings for all national wards.

Enter the postcode, search, then click on the resulting Ward name
Posted By: chriskay Re: looking for Boundary maps - 23rd Dec 2012 3:52pm
That's a useful site, greasby_lad. It does tend to confirm my thoughts about boundary changes over time. When I was young, living in Ben Nevis Rd., Tranmere Hall Estate, it was definitely in Tranmere, (or Higher Tranmere), but my mother, who had ideas above her station always claimed we lived in Prenton (posher).
Historically, the Western boundary of Tranmere was Storeton Rd. beyond which was Prenton. Another boundary was Woodchurch Rd. from the Halfway House to Bessborough Rd., beyond which was Oxton. Now, according to the boundaries map, that's all Prenton, as far as Bebington Rd./Greenway Rd.
Mother will be laughing from the grave. grin
Posted By: derekdwc Re: looking for Boundary maps - 24th Dec 2012 10:42am
I agree it's useful, just a pity that I can't copy the maps when magnified to my pc with the aim of stitching them together.

Birkenhead & Tranmere ward clicky

Posted By: greasby_lad Re: looking for Boundary maps - 24th Dec 2012 12:24pm
That website shows political wards, not townships. Enter a postcode for Greasby and the resulting map will be for 'Greasby, Frankby & Irby' ward.

I attach a map of MBW townships in 2004 - can't remember where it came from. Not much detail, I'm afraid.

One thing puzzles me - the Williamson Art Gallery in Slatey Road is listed (wherever you look) as being in Prenton or Birkenhead - how can this be? Claughton or Oxton, but surely not Prenton or Birkenhead.

Attached picture 2004 WBC townships.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral