Forums
Basically I've been watching Keeping Up Appearances and found out Patricia Roultledge was from Tranmere.

Her father used to have a haberdashery shop somewhere around there.

Does anyone know where the shop was or have any now and then pictures please.

I'm guessing that Hyacinth Bouquettttt got her accent from the posh part of tranmere tease (where I live)
Hi Adam,
My Mum grew up in Grasville Rd, my grandparents had a grocery shop next to the Library. She worked for the Routledge's in their haberdashery for about a year, this would have been when she left school in 1930, I am not sure but this may have been for Patricia's grandparents. My parents later lived in Hr.Beb, I have a feeling my Mum said Patricia lived in Holmville Rd, Hr Beb and used to cycle to school in Birkenhead. My Mum loved working for them but had to leave for family reasons. Sorry, I am not sure where the shop was, I will ask my cousin she may know. Regards, Sheila
Hi Adam, I have just looked in an old phone book online. The shop was at 36, Church Rd, Tranmere. In 1953, the family lived at 48, Heyville Rd, Hr. Beb, this is off Holmville.
Regards, Sheila.e
The shop was on the corner of Whitfield Street and Church Road . The family lived
in the first house in Whitfield St. ( No.2) immediately behind shop.
Father, Isaac Edgar and mother Catherine also one bro. Kenneth Graham. The posh
name for the shop was Gentleman,s Outfitter. Patricia went to Mersey Park Primary
School and passed exam & went to Birkenhead High School then Liverpool Uni.
House & shop were only demolished 2-3 yrs ago , Last 20 yrs as a shop it was a
Newsagents run by one-armed man named Eric.
The Routledge family have been prominent in Tranmere since it was an independent township before it was incorporated into Birkenhead in 1877. Isaac
Routledge owned quarries in Lower Tranmere in the 1860,s .
I do know that there was a haberdashery shop on the corner of liversage Road and Derby Road and an off licence on the other corner of Liversage Road.

But I dont know if this is the one you are searching for as I dont know who owned it.
Originally Posted by Dolphin123
I do know that there was a haberdashery shop on the corner of liversage Road and Derby Road and an off licence on the other corner of Liversage Road.

But I dont know if this is the one you are searching for as I dont know who owned it.

Surely it's clear from the previous posts that the one you're talking about isn't the one in question
Stan is quite correct the shop was on the corner of Whitfield Street and Church Road by the Wesley Church and she was in the same class as my brother at Mersey Park School. It was indeed listed as a High Class mens' outfitters!
I also lived in Grasville Road Sheila, we lived at number 20
© Wirral-Wikiwirral