Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Shore road query - 2nd Oct 2012 10:13am
Was/Is there more than one Shore Road?
I've looked at 1950s map and 1876 maps and googled and funnily the buildings numbers of present day tally with the old directories

I've been trying to find
from 1857 PO director and 1861 mawdsley
Woodside Ferry Tap, 1, Shore road Shore road
Hope & Anchor Inn, 17, Shore road Shore road
Ship, G. Lacey, Shore road, Birkenhead Shore road
Liver, 23, Claughton road, and 21 and 22, Shore road.[u][/u]

ctrl and + keys to enlarge
ctrl and - keys to make smaller

Attached picture gate at shore road.jpg
Attached picture buildings in shore road.jpg
Attached picture shore road 1950s.png
Attached picture shore rd 1875.jpg
Attached picture 1874 cheshire map.jpg
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Shore road query - 2nd Oct 2012 12:24pm
Nope, there was only ever one Shore Road. The reason that you can't find the pubs you're looking for on maps after 1875 is that, with the exception of the Woodside Ferry Tap, which was part of the Refreshment Rooms at the Ferry, they were all demolished in the 1860s when the railway spur was built to what is now the Cheshire Lines Building.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Shore road query - 2nd Oct 2012 1:40pm
thanks marty
Can you tell me where the pubs were (nowadays) or have you got a map that may show me where the railway line came from and where the pubs were please?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Shore road query - 2nd Oct 2012 2:14pm
Image of the 1861 census for Shore Rd, the first one looks like Liver Hotel, second one, it doesn't give a name but the occupier is a ship smith? and publican.

Attached picture 1861 shore rd.jpg
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Shore road query - 7th Oct 2012 8:40pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
thanks marty
Can you tell me where the pubs were (nowadays) or have you got a map that may show me where the railway line came from and where the pubs were please?

Sorry for taking so long, Derek, but it's taken me a few days to get hold of a decent copy of the relevant map. The first map below shows the block of properties in question in 1858, between Lord Street, which at that time continued down to Shore Road, and the point where Shore Road curves round to join Canning Street. These properties were demolished in the 1860s to make way for the Cheshire Lines Committee railway sidings, as can be seen from the 1911 Edition OS map. The area where your missing pubs were is now under Wirral Met College.

Attached picture Shore Road 1.jpg
Attached picture Shore Road 2.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Shore road query - 8th Oct 2012 9:58am
Thanks for that marty99fred.
So they were a lot further along Shore Road than I expected.
Going by the building numbers I thought they were at the Woodside end (as in my first post) and was trying to fathom out what railway lines you were talking about.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Shore road query - 8th Oct 2012 1:03pm
Just as an extra bit of info, the records of the Annual Licencing Session in September 1865 record that Samuel Street's licence for the Hope and Anchor was transferred to "new premises lately erected in Duke-street near the Great Float", indicating that that's when the Hope and Anchor closed prior to demolition. As the Grand Trunk Hotel was already in existence (it's marked on the 1858 map) these new premises can only have been the Royal Duke, as they were the only two pubs in Duke street in 1875.
Posted By: rover644 Re: Shore road query - 8th Oct 2012 5:18pm
only 1
© Wirral-Wikiwirral