Forums
Posted By: norma port sunlight shops - 25th Sep 2012 7:44pm
does anyone know where about in portsunlight the shop called macfisheries was
Posted By: Christo Re: port sunlight shops - 25th Sep 2012 8:30pm
I believe it was where the garden centre is now, next to what was the Port Sunlight Baths. smile
Posted By: norma Re: port sunlight shops - 25th Sep 2012 8:33pm
Thanks for that my husband has been trying to work out where it was but nobody seemed to know
Posted By: madhat Re: port sunlight shops - 25th Sep 2012 8:36pm
it says mac fisheries the gymnasium,port sunlight

Posted By: norma Re: port sunlight shops - 25th Sep 2012 8:39pm
was it just the one shop or was there others there aswel
Posted By: Christo Re: port sunlight shops - 25th Sep 2012 8:47pm
Not sure, to be honest - I just remember my mum talking about it and where it was when she worked at Levers. smile
Posted By: madhat Re: port sunlight shops - 25th Sep 2012 8:53pm
got a bebington official guide on one of the pages in says you can do all your shopping there under one roof order by phone just ring rock ferry 1212 free deliveries to bromborough raby hooton eastham prenton rock ferry birkenhead
Posted By: bri445 Re: port sunlight shops - 25th Sep 2012 10:33pm
During WW2, and maybe into the '50s, when meat was rationed, I remember it as a cold and cheerless open-fronted shop in the wooden building to the left of the swimming pool. The gymnasium and pool would have been the 'Sports Centre' of that era, before the war. Yes, they were situated exactly where the garden centre is now.
The pool was closed and used as an emergency water supply, with EWS in big letters painted on the side.
I think it was a 'wet fish' shop only in those days, when most other foods were rationed.
The only other shop in the village was the Post Office, oposite the station.
Bri
Posted By: 335steve Re: port sunlight shops - 26th Sep 2012 6:05pm
Apparently,according to a relative of mine who used to go there, it also contained or was adjoining a large room or dancehall type of premises where quite a few local groups played during the sixties. Don't know any more than that but would be interested to hear any more information if anyone has any memories of it.
Posted By: diana45 Re: port sunlight shops - 26th Sep 2012 8:31pm
a couple of weeks ago on coast it was about lord leverhulme buying a scottish island and setting up a fishing fleet and homes for fisher families thats where the name macfisheries came from when it went bust after a few years everything was abandoned all thats left now is tumble down buildings
Posted By: bri445 Re: port sunlight shops - 28th Sep 2012 4:55pm
According to 'Yesterday's Wirral - Port Sunlight' (Ian Boumphrey and Gavin Hunter) Mac Fisheries and a general store were in this large building on the corner of Bolton Road and Bridge Street, until it was destroyed by a land mine in the blitz of 1941.
It must have moved to the Gymnasium, next to the closed swimming pool, at that time. I can only remember it being a 'wet fish' shop, as above, but the general store may have moved, as well.
The other two paragraphs below are from the 'Port Sunlight Village' guide of 1988.

Attached picture mac1.jpg
Attached picture mac2.jpg
Attached picture gym1.jpg
Attached picture gym2.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral