Forums
Posted By: stu00 Birkenhead FC - 8th Aug 2012 8:06pm
I'm looking into the short lived Birkenhead FC which existed between 1899-1909.

Their first ground was called 'Bedford Park' in Rockferry which i think is the football ground (on the 1910 ordnance survey map) at what was once the bottom of Bedford Road but that is just a guess.

What i'm really struggling with is that by 1900-01 season they they are described as playing at 'Chester Street Enclosure'. The only chester street i could find was in birkenhead and i couldn't see football pitch on the 1910 ordnance survey map. Anyone got any ideas where it could be.

On the off chance anyone has any pictures of Birkenhead FC that would also be great.
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: Birkenhead FC - 9th Aug 2012 5:54am
Have you try contacting tranmere rovers they might have someone who has information on these thing.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Birkenhead FC - 9th Aug 2012 7:45am
Possibbly the Bedford road ground changed its name or what was the Cammel Lairds Football ground before.

When I first started work at the British Leather Co ltd 1962
a couple of the older managers who had been there a long time used to tell me they played football for the British Leather and that from the building on the corner of West View (which had been a pub at one time) the regulars could see the team playing in what they called "Jam jar Park" which I think would have been on the other side of New Chester road before Camel Lairds had it and built one of their big 10ft/12ft? walls.
I'm talking about the area from Seabank Road up towards the bypass.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Birkenhead FC - 9th Aug 2012 8:26am
May have been a groud here
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

control and + to enlarge
control and - to make smaller

Attached picture seabank m100492_332624_387576.png
Posted By: stu00 Re: Birkenhead FC - 10th Aug 2012 11:20am
Cheers for the info! I'll let you know if find anymore information on Birkenhead FC!
Posted By: Boggo Re: Birkenhead FC - 10th Aug 2012 11:44am
Yeah why don't you ask that guy who did those fantastic articles in Tranmere's programmes last year about the A-Z of Tranmere. He's bound to know.

Bunk
Posted By: stu00 Re: Birkenhead FC - 13th Aug 2012 6:25pm
It appears the club moved around a lot in their very short history. After just one season at Bedford Park they moved to the Chester Street ground which was the Engineers Parade Ground which was closer to Birkenhead.

They appear to have stayed their for several more season including the 1903-04 season when they won the Combination.

They then moved around (they were at Rockville enclosure until its demolition) again until their final ground which was on Cavendish street and formally of Birkenhead North Ends team.

Has anyone got any images or info on these grounds?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral