Forums
Posted By: BennyBoy Rest Hill Road Maps - 21st Jul 2012 7:18pm
Hi I was wondering whether anybody has an old map or ordinance survey maps of rest hill road in Storeton?

Thanks in advance
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Rest Hill Road Maps - 21st Jul 2012 9:57pm
I've found this website handy for browsing old maps:
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html
Posted By: x_plore Re: Rest Hill Road Maps - 21st Jul 2012 10:21pm
also this link is good http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/

shows the tithe maps and maps of deifferent era's also a modern day map so you know what the area is like now
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Rest Hill Road Maps - 22nd Jul 2012 7:27am
Thanks. Basically I am looking for a map that will show the location of old ditches for drainage purposes. As rest hill road is on a hill there are problems with drainage and we want to see if there was an old ditch that we can use?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Rest Hill Road Maps - 22nd Jul 2012 11:03am
look here for some maps that may help click

quote=geekus]Try and get your hands on a copy of the 'Waterside Wirral' book, produced by the Mersey Basin Trust. It's full of maps, photos, and info etc., on Wirral's waterways. Ask at your local library if you can't find one in the shops. Seem to think it use to sell for something like a fiver.

Attached picture 1876 m100093_330724_384364.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Rest Hill Road Maps - 22nd Jul 2012 12:02pm
Can anybody explain what the numbers and letters/number mean on some of these old maps.
Or point me to a site that will
(have tried ordnance survey site

Attached picture map numbers.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Rest Hill Road Maps - 22nd Jul 2012 12:14pm
The blue circled one is a Bench Mark with height. The roadside red circle is a spot height by the look of it. The red circled figs. in the fields are parcels of land with acreage shown.

The above info is off the top of my swede and I stand to be corrected by more knowledgeable folk !
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Rest Hill Road Maps - 22nd Jul 2012 12:48pm
As you can see below on the 1836 map there are two ponds or similar. The modern day map shows one. Also, if you look at a modern day map then a small canal or something similar runs right through the landscape which I presume is to stop water running down the hill and cause flooding.

This is a big help as we are having problems with drainage after heavy rain fall its like a bog in some areas.

Hopefully we can use the old ponds/ditches to channel the rain fall (hopefully).

I will take your advice derek and go to the library and find out more.

Attached picture Maps.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Rest Hill Road Maps - 22nd Jul 2012 12:51pm
Apologies to BennyBoy forgoing a bit off topic, but in reply to
Pinzgauer post I noticed in a pdf of old cheshire words but the standard Imperial measure was
1 (square rod) = 30.25 square yards

Description: cheshire acre
Attached picture cheshire acre.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Rest Hill Road Maps - 22nd Jul 2012 2:18pm
A rod, pole or perch.... on the back of all good exercise books!!

Is that the same beast ?

Has a rood or roods any connection with Chester's "Roodee" ? Just a thought.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Rest Hill Road Maps - 23rd Jul 2012 7:52am
Looking at my last post I wonder if Laird and those earlier folks that bought land came along and said we buy land at £-- so much per acre in? and paid that much for acres on Wirral and so got the land for half of what they would have paid elsewhere.

ps I wonder if a pole measurement was taken from a fishing rod type of thing that they may have used which was similar in length to the poles you can buy nowadays (are they a recent thing never saw any years ago when I used to go freshwater fishing - rod and reel only)
Posted By: petethebike Re: Rest Hill Road Maps - 23rd Jul 2012 10:07am
Hi, thefirst number(whole number) is the land parcel number, ie field number.The second is its area in acres.
Hope this helps.
Pete.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Rest Hill Road Maps - 23rd Jul 2012 10:38am
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Looking at my last post I wonder if Laird and those earlier folks that bought land came along and said we buy land at £-- so much per acre in? and paid that much for acres on Wirral and so got the land for half of what they would have paid elsewhere.

ps I wonder if a pole measurement was taken from a fishing rod type of thing that they may have used which was similar in length to the poles you can buy nowadays (are they a recent thing never saw any years ago when I used to go freshwater fishing - rod and reel only)

Highly unlikely Derek, as all local land transactions would normally have been carried out using the Cheshire or Large Acre (roughly 2.12 the size of a Statute Acre); if Statute measurement was used it was always clearly stated in the description of the property, and very often both measurements were specified to avoid confusion.

For the record, the measurements generally used in this area were acres, roods and perches; 40 perches made one rood (also, confusingly, sometimes referred to as a rod), and four roods made one acre, and this applied whether you were using Cheshire or Statute acreage.
Posted By: dave_h Re: Rest Hill Road Maps - 26th Jul 2012 5:41pm
slightly off topic but i love this road, part of my running route, never have i blown out of my arse as much running along it!!
Posted By: bigpete Re: Rest Hill Road Maps - 6th Aug 2012 7:19pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc

Poles are indeed ancient and rods relatively new...fishing wise...!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral