Forums
Posted By: Norton Something in the Sand off Egremont Prom - 18th Jul 2012 1:27pm
After the storms in Autumn 2011 and again earlier this year, a lot more sand shifted along the shore than usual. Some areas increased in depth while others lost perhaps a foot of sand. One of the most natable areas for this is between the Maddock Rd slipway and the Magazine Lane slipway.

Last autumn I noticed what I first thought was a line of stones in the mud and silt just south of the Manor Lane breakwater after some of the sand had shifted away, about 100 yards out from the prom. As the sand has continued to dissapear, more black dots have appeared and a pattern is appearing which now stretches towards the Maddock Road slipway.

With a little imagination, the shape of boats can be made out as there is a pointed end and a rounded end to each of these groups black dots in the sand. No longer do they look just like stones, but appear to be some sort of post going into the mud.

There are three distinct clusters in that area now, with two, three or four of these shapes parallel with each other.
Could I be looking at the wooded ribs of sunken ships - after all, they are about the size of a single deck bus?

I'd like to look closer, but the mud and silt is so soft that I won't risk it, although I have seen people down there.

I've never heard of anything like that down there, but perhaps some Wiki readers have.

Take a look at the photo's. The first three were taken this week. The last one at dusk was last November. Notice the change.

Attached picture 15072012021cr.jpg

Description: Something in the silt, July 2012
Attached picture 15072012022cr.jpg
Attached picture 15072012023cr.jpg
Attached picture 22112011010cr.jpg
Posted By: j_demo Re: Something in the Sand off Egremont Prom - 18th Jul 2012 1:41pm
i too have noticed this a few times and wondered if it was a boat, would love to know if anyone has any more info.

it couldn't possibly be from an old pier could it????
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Something in the Sand off Egremont Prom - 18th Jul 2012 2:35pm
Hi Norton, there are a number of fish traps off the Wirral coast (some potentially medieval) and they may be something similar although they could be fairly recent. I'd need to see their profile from the air to tell you....might be something unrelated but it's one interpretation!

Posted By: 47fld Re: Something in the Sand off Egremont Prom - 18th Jul 2012 3:19pm
What you are looking at is short pieces of guttering in the mud , these are crab traps which the sea fishermen use to collect peeler crab , as the tide go,es out the crabs shelter in these gutters and about 3 hours after high water somebody will walk across the mud to get the crabs.
Posted By: 1971efc Re: Something in the Sand off Egremont Prom - 18th Jul 2012 9:01pm
Originally Posted by farmside
What you are looking at is short pieces of guttering in the mud , these are crab traps which the sea fishermen use to collect peeler crab , as the tide go,es out the crabs shelter in these gutters and about 3 hours after high water somebody will walk across the mud to get the crabs.
that reminds me,, i have not had a crack at the smoothies yet this year
© Wirral-Wikiwirral