Forums
Posted By: nightwalker St. Hilary's Church, Wallasey, 1857-1859 - 12th Jul 2012 10:57am
ST. HILARY'S, WALLASEY – period between the old and new churches.

What's been bugging me is this: St. Hilary's Church, Wallasey was burned down in February 1857 and the new church was consecrated in July 1859. So in the meantime where did the parishioners go for their services and to be hatched, matched and despatched? I’ve ploughed through the local history books I have, but can’t find a mention.

One thought is that the Ship Inn (which was used for Coroners’ inquests) may have been used; another that it could have been the school house in Breck Road (which was owned by the Church). But wouldn’t these or any other building have to be consecrated to hold services and ceremonies there?

Presumably burial services could have been performed outside in the churchyard, despite building work going on. However, I doubt that marriages and baptisms would have been carried out in the open air. I've looked at the parish registers for marriages and baptisms and they continue during the 'churchless' period as though nothing had happened. The only vague references to what was a major disaster, are two margin notes made by the Rector - a marriage on 25.8.1859 has "First marriage in the New Church" and a christening on 2.8.1859 has "First baptism in the House".

In the marriage registers during the period there are occasional references to a particular marriage ceremony being performed at St. James', New Brighton. If so, why aren’t they recorded in the St. James’ registers? All very confusing!!

Any suggestions gratefully received. Not exactly earth-shattering but one of those little itches that could do with scratching!
Posted By: marty99fred Re: St. Hilary's Church, Wallasey, 1857-1859 - 12th Jul 2012 12:27pm
According to the Liverpool Mercury of 16th February 1857: "In consequence of the destruction by fire of the parish church of Wallasey, the Bishop [of Chester] has licensed the new church of St. James, New Brighton, for the publication of banns and the solemnization of marriages for the inhabitants of the parish."
Posted By: nightwalker Re: St. Hilary's Church, Wallasey, 1857-1859 - 13th Jul 2012 8:10am
Thanks, marty. That sheds a little more light.
Posted By: nightwalker Re: St. Hilary's Church, Wallasey, 1857-1859 - 13th Jul 2012 11:30am
So, if you've got any ancestors recorded as being married at St. Hilary's during this period they were, in fact, married in St. James', even though the marriage details are in St. Hilary's parish registers. No, I don't understand it either!!

Anyone got a road map of Wallasey/New Brighton for around this period? Other than a trek along the sands, I'm fairly sure it would be quite a tortuous route to get from the Village to St. James' Church.

These are details of the last marriage in the old church and the first in the new (got to find something to do this weather!)

Attached picture Marriage-vert.jpg
Posted By: Helles Re: St. Hilary's Church, Wallasey, 1857-1859 - 13th Jul 2012 12:19pm
I've read some time ago that before St James was built,funeral processions from New Brighton had to walk along the sands to reach St Hilary's. Would have been a tough journey given the soft sand all along the route.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral