Forums
Posted By: 5felix Old Pub name - 10th Jul 2012 8:05am
Can any kind soul jog my memory? I need to know the name of the pub on the corner of Duke Street and Corporation Road, It had a policeman directing trafic, he stood in the middle of the road in a metal box.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Old Pub name - 10th Jul 2012 8:14am
the duke
Posted By: Tatey Re: Old Pub name - 10th Jul 2012 8:53am
"The Royal Duke Hotel" to give it it's full name.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Old Pub name - 10th Jul 2012 8:58am
picture click
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Old Pub name - 10th Jul 2012 8:59am
About two thirds the way down. List of pubs is interesting.

national archives

Posted By: GOT2GO Re: Old Pub name - 10th Jul 2012 9:08am
The DUKE
Posted By: birket Re: Old Pub name - 10th Jul 2012 9:24am
It was called' The Duke
Posted By: 5felix Re: Old Pub name - 10th Jul 2012 9:43am
Thank you all. Capt. America's list is very interesting and the picture from derekdwc makes me think the little round box for the policeman is a figment of my imagination!!
How about another? I was born in the Combermere Hotel in 1936, I recon it was very close to the wetherspoon's by the market. Now a picture of that I would like to see!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Old Pub name - 10th Jul 2012 9:54am
There's nowt wrong with your imagination 5felix. There WAS a box for the traffic policeman at one time. Sorry but I don't have a photo to prove it! I'm sure someone else will have one though. When (much) younger I used to get the No.11 bus to New Brighton. Quite often if the bridge was up, there were long delays. Said policeman kept junction "open". Also of course he stopped road traffic to allow goods trains to cross. Can't recall shape of the box he was in, but it was painted white.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Old Pub name - 10th Jul 2012 10:01am
[Linked Image]

Here's the copper directing traffic. I believe this job was given to cops who had fell out of favour
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Old Pub name - 10th Jul 2012 10:11am
I was born in Oliver Place ,opposite the swings
look in the pub index
ps there's someone on wiki lived/born in Wilson st and on another thread various pictures of Oliver street

Combermere Hotel pic
click
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Old Pub name - 10th Jul 2012 10:13am
Thanks pablo. Black & white box rather than white (Close !) sorry
Posted By: Alonso Re: Old Pub name - 10th Jul 2012 10:27am
Not so Pablo, so an old friend told me. Every copper who was a member of the borough police had a stint on the dock's division. Manning the podium was one of the chores everybody shared. I believe it was quite a pleasant one too. Particularly when the ladies of the night, who frequented the Duke of an evening, placed a pint or two of bitter at the feet of the copper in the podium: just to quench his thirst during an arduous shift, so I understand.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral