Forums
Posted By: Jeeps Scientology in Oxton? - 2nd Jul 2012 9:52pm
Reading a report on the Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes divorce I had a flashback to Shrewsbury Road, Oxton c.1962.

I'm sure I remember somewhere along that road, not too far from a bus stop, was a locked glass display case with a Scientology book inside it, for anyone walking past to be able to read the message of the day.

Anyone know anything about this?
Posted By: cmw2a Re: Scientology in Oxton? - 2nd Jul 2012 10:05pm
Are you thinking of the former Christian Scientist church in Village Road? it was opposite Ashton House and was a sandstone coloured building with pillars outside. There's a block of flats there now.
Posted By: Jeeps Re: Scientology in Oxton? - 2nd Jul 2012 10:14pm
Oo, maybe! Thank you. That is starting to ring very faint bells. I was only about 6 I think so there is every chance I am mistaking the word Scientist for Scientology. I hope I've not offended anyone!

I am half thinking it was on a corner or the gates were set at an angle? Am I right about the display case do you know?
Posted By: Jeeps Re: Scientology in Oxton? - 2nd Jul 2012 10:19pm
Just found this in relation to the building :

First Church of Christ Scientist
This building, designed by Joseph Brattan, was purpose-built in 1874 to house the Oxton
Local Board . On the township’s incorporation into Birkenhead, the building became
redundant and in 1886 it was purchased by The High School for Girls Ltd, and Birkenhead
High School was founded with one hundred girls, moving in 1905 to Belgrano in
Devonshire Place. 101
In 1925 the building was bought by the first Church of Christ Scientist, but in 1975 so much
structural damaged had developed that the church sought permission for demolition. This
was granted and work had reached an advanced stage before it was realized that the
building was listed.

From this site http://homepage.ntlworld.com/graham.mclean/Oxton%20history.pdf
Posted By: cmw2a Re: Scientology in Oxton? - 2nd Jul 2012 10:50pm
wow! that's a brilliant record of the history of Oxton!
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Scientology in Oxton? - 3rd Jul 2012 5:59am
Pretty sure there was also a Church Science place on Laburnum Road? Nothing to do with Scientology.
Posted By: MikeT Re: Scientology in Oxton? - 3rd Jul 2012 7:03am
Originally Posted by Jeeps
I'm sure I remember somewhere along that road, not too far from a bus stop, was a locked glass display case with a Scientology book inside it, for anyone walking past to be able to read the message of the day.

As others have said, it's the Church of Christ the Scientist, nothing to do with Scientology. There's a glass case with reading material in it outside Christ the Scientist in King's Gap, Hoylake. I sometimes stop and take a look, it's often interesting and thought-provoking, not your typical bible-thumping bullshit.

CLICKY FOR PIC
Posted By: Jeeps Re: Scientology in Oxton? - 3rd Jul 2012 7:46am
No, I realise the child I was latched onto the word science and I made an assumption as an adult. I accept that I got the wrong group. smile

If there is a glass case now in Hoylake I am sure I did not dream it up and there will have been one in Oxton all those years ago. Thanks for the link to the pic in Hoylake. The case I recall was literally a glass topped display table/case, on the pavement. But maybe I've got that wrong too!

It IS a good history, isn't it, cmw2a!
Posted By: cmw2a Re: Scientology in Oxton? - 3rd Jul 2012 3:36pm
oh yes, and the church in Laburnum Road/Bessborough Road was the old Unitarian church which was bombed in the war, a new one was built in the grounds and the old, bombed church became the Stevedores and Docker's Club. It was burned down many years ago now.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Scientology in Oxton? - 1st Aug 2012 2:56pm
Scientology was still resting in L Ron Hubbards fevered imagination in the early 60's and did not yet exist.....
© Wirral-Wikiwirral