Forums
Posted By: Petei123 Thornton Manor - 29th Jun 2012 4:40pm
Is it true that Lord Leverhulme had a private road leading from Thornton Manor, all the way to his factory in Port Sunlight?

I've noticed that there's a gated off 'path' opposite the main entrance to the manor, but I'm unsure as to where it leads, or what it is!?
Also, I'd like to know if it was actually aloud to be walked down...
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Thornton Manor - 29th Jun 2012 5:27pm
The path you talk about was a continuation of levers causeway and as such does not go to the sunlight village. Plus it is intersected by at least two public paths and a bridleway, i have been all over those paths on my bike and never been stopped.
Posted By: Garygadge Re: Thornton Manor - 29th Jun 2012 8:35pm
He did indeed travel down that road but i'm not sure how far it actually went, (could Brimstage road, near the roundabout) there are 2 ornate concrete gate posts that are fenced off there. CLICKY

There are public paths that can walked along without prior permission but there are also private path ways that require a pass to walk along.

Attached picture 313296764_7c8d83b70d_b.jpg
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Thornton Manor - 29th Jun 2012 9:43pm
There is a ride that is now intersected by the motorway.
Posted By: specialboy Re: Thornton Manor - 30th Jun 2012 7:03am
Originally Posted by Garygadge
He did indeed travel down that road but i'm not sure how far it actually went, (could Brimstage road, near the roundabout) there are 2 ornate concrete gate posts that are fenced off there. CLICKY

There are public paths that can walked along without prior permission but there are also private path ways that require a pass to walk along.

If you travel down Levers Causway (the mile road) you will come to a roundabout, opposite you you can see an avenue of trees leading across the fields which once joined up directly with the gateway above and continues onto the manor.
For a better idea, look at google earth.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral